Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#26 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Summer25
now the file has changed from a package file to a Notepad icon ending with cfg, like some people have said above, and I can't now change it back, as everytime I download a new resource file from the link above and unzip it, it turns straight into another notepad file with cfg on the end instead of package?

That's because it IS NOT a package. It's a text file named "resource.cfg". That's all there is to it.

Does anything not work or what are you trying to do?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:23 PM
Thank you for your reply, I am trying to add the extra 'package lines' for more subfolders and also want to be able to add more text for some mods to work, like the -
DirectoryFiles unpackedmod autoupdate text.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#28 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:43 PM
OK, so where is the problem with that?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
#29 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 4:03 PM
Since opening the resource file with notepad and adding the text for subfolders and also the one for some mods to work , I now have the notepad icon on it, so have I messed up this, or is this the way it should look once you open it with notepad and will it be safe to use?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#30 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 4:28 PM
Again .. where is the problem? Are the mods working in your game or not?

What filetype is associated with what edtor is somewhere in the Windows settings, it has nothing at all to do with custom content or its workingness.

Field Researcher
#31 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 5:58 PM
I have only just altered this resource.cfg file today and so have not tried it in my game yet as I was concerned that I had messed it up, but I think I understand it now, so it does not matter about the resource.cfg file having the notepad icon on it, as this is just due to the fact that I opened the resource.cfg file using notepad, then altered it and saved it, this will have no effect on it working or not working, all that matters is that I have added the correct text to this file.
I'm so glad to have this sorted, thank you for helping
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 11:17 PM
Thank you so much, plasticbox!! I am compulsive about keeping my content organized. I hope five deep will be enough for me!
Test Subject
#33 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Summer25
I know that renaming the resource file should be a really simple thing to do, but I can not understand how to do this? I have downloaded Notepad, the no need to install version, and tried then opening the resource file using Notepad, now the file has changed from a package file to a Notepad icon ending with cfg, like some people have said above, and I can't now change it back, as everytime I download a new resource file from the link above and unzip it, it turns straight into another notepad file with cfg on the end instead of package?
Please can somebody give a step by step guide on how to add anything to the resource file, as it's driving me crazy, I have been trying to figure this out for a week now, searching all over the internet for more information that could help, but have got absolutely nowhere

It will still work, nothing's changed to be exact. As long as your resource file ends with .cfg extension, it will work. just check the file extension because there's a common problem where you may accidentally saved it into a .txt file, just rename it and remove .txt in the file name it should only be (resource.cfg)
Field Researcher
#34 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 5:14 AM Last edited by Celia : 9th Oct 2014 at 3:16 PM.
Shortly after I got the game, I found this and edited my resource file. Worked beautifully. Then my computer went kaput. After replacing the hard drive, the motherboard, and the processor, my computer works. I redownloaded the game, and edited the resource file again, making sure to tick the game options to show mods and script mods. But they don't show up. I put in the no censor mod just in the mod folder itself, but does not work. I made a folder in the mods folder for Nevermore's hair, and installed one of them there. Didn't show up. I pulled the hair out of the folder and just put it in the mods folder without subfolders, still does not show up. I've checked it over and over, redone it, it still doesn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, still no dice. I'm frustrated beyond words. Any ideas? Is there some step I have overlooked?

Update. I'm not sure what I did, but now it will recognize mods and cc in the mod folder, without folders. I cannot add folders to the mod folder.

Reupdate. Still not sure what I did, but now I can add folders to the mod folder. Sorry for the inconvenience. I still feel like this is magic that is about to muck up again, though.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 14th Oct 2014 at 11:48 PM
this is great for the sub folders! I found a way to change the drive they read from on Windows 8. by right clicking the documents folder and under properties.. I changed the location to D drive ^_^ to keep the SSD clean.
Test Subject
#36 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 6:58 PM
Hi everyone, I'm currently having the problem of not being able to add folders to my mods folder. Does anyone else have this problem in Windows 7? If so, have you found a solution>
Test Subject
#37 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 5:39 AM
I have a question. What do you mean by five levels deep?

Do you mean I can have up to 5 folders within Mods or can I only make five folders, and then five different folders within that?
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:52 PM
I've stumbled on a few problems. Solved some but one persists.

First I forgot to save the file in unicode, I saved it in ANSI and that wouldn't work.

Once I figured out the unicode problem the game loaded again.

The problem now is that the list of mods shown at launch only shows a handful scripts I'm using, not a single one of all the hairs, skins and so on that I have, shows up any more in the list like it used to before I sorted them in to sub folders. Is that normal? Or have I done something else wrong?

SIMale the Simlish linguist. Simlish made easy: Version 1 & 2 and Version 3 & Comic (Now only available at IS)
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:00 PM Last edited by SIMale : 25th Oct 2014 at 7:36 AM.
The only clue I have is that these downloads are recognized by the game even though they are in a sub-folder in the game.

MTS_fetusdip_1460796_Simocide
MTS_mgomez_1461103_mgomez-relationshipdecay
MTS_scripthoge_1458832_BuildBuyModeUnlocker
MTS_TwistedMexi_1466016_tmex-fullhouse-stable
tmex-moveobjects

The only things they have in common are that none of them are package files and all have the content inside a zip-file.

*edit*

I've tried moving the clothing .package files to the Mods folder and the game still don't notice that they are there, only the script mods (.py .pyo) are found.
I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

SIMale the Simlish linguist. Simlish made easy: Version 1 & 2 and Version 3 & Comic (Now only available at IS)
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 7:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ktkat427
I have a question. What do you mean by five levels deep?

Do you mean I can have up to 5 folders within Mods or can I only make five folders, and then five different folders within that?

It means that you can have a folder structure that looks like this:

Mods
- Clothes
- - Accessories
- - - Head
- - - - Hats
- - - - - Victorian
- Genetics
- - Hair
- - Eyes

That is if you can get it to work. I haven't been able to yet.

Scholar
#41 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 11:28 AM
Sorry if it has already been asked: Something that is not clear for me... What is the limit of subfolders we can create in our "Mods" folder while editing the Resource.cfg? In fact, I am dreaming of unlimited subfolders, because we'll have soon tons of CC and I love sorting it by creator names.

Thanks in advance
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 2:46 PM
Default Mods Folder
Quote: Originally posted by SIMale
It means that you can have a folder structure that looks like this:

Mods
- Clothes
- - Accessories
- - - Head
- - - - Hats
- - - - - Victorian
- Genetics
- - Hair
- - Eyes

That is if you can get it to work. I haven't been able to yet.

This Mod folder structure will not work past Clothes or Genetics. Only one level of subfolder will work in the Mods folder.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#43 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 2:52 PM
uhriahx please read the first post. This entire thread is about setting up more levels of subfolders ..

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#44 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by uhriahx
This Mod folder structure will not work past Clothes or Genetics. Only one level of subfolder will work in the Mods folder.

Even after editing the cfg?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#45 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunset Sim
I recalled the early mess of thousands of files in my Sims 2 Downloads folder before I learned I could make subfolders within in it, such as:
Downloads --> Clothes Male --> Adults --> Casual --> (and subfolders in this one by artist or style, ie SBB, Costumes, etc)
or, Downloads --> Furniture --> Living Room --> (and a subfolder for sets, ie, Steffor Set, Chloe Set,Ygg Set with pics)
or, Downloads --> Female Hair --> Peggy Hairstyle --> (and a subfolder for each hairstyle with pics)

I thought I'd share this little jewel of info I found in the comment section posted by Billye Gilbert at SimNation blog on how to create subfolders in Sims 4, since it's currently set up where the player has to install all custom content in the Mods folder. Considering that one cc house could have dozens of files, along with all the other downloaded cc, this would be quite a mess, and very difficult to identify and remove content you no longer want or that may be causing a conflict..

In his very helpful comment he said:
"Just for people understanding, mod folder in the Sims 4 Demo does not allow the us of subdirectores for sorting of mods and recolors. If you wish to use subfolders to help sort it out, you will have to edit the resource.cfg file.

To do this go to the mod folder and open the resource.cfg file in a text editor. (Save a copy of it first.) Edit it to read:

Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

Save the file. This will allow you a directory structure of up to 5 levels deep within the mods folder for sorting. This should be enough. (I am currently using 4 deep.)"

I made a copy of the cfg file first in case I made an error. I opened the cfg file in the game with Notepad, which comes with any Windows computer. Cut and pasted over the existing info that starts with Priority 500, so it looked just like that, and it worked like a charm. See his comment to a post here: (http://www.simnationblog.co.uk/p/ho...nload-mods.html ).

--

Edit (pbox): On a related note, here is also useful tip on how you can use the mklink command to move the /Mods folder to a different drive if you run out of space.
Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ks-windows.html

(Sorry to occupate your post like that, but I fear people won't see it when I post this at the end of the thread =)

I've read through but don't really understand. I replace the file so now in layman's terms how do I create the names please show pic's if possible. I haven't used cc since sims 2 so I am really out of practice. I downloaded some stuff from sims resource but haven't done anything with them yet.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#46 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ccgre
I replace the file so now in layman's terms how do I create the names

Which names do you mean?

Test Subject
#47 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Which names do you mean?

I was confused about the format of the folder name ex. "PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package" floors, or floors.package or Packedfile/floors.package?
Test Subject
#48 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ccgre
I was confused about the format of the folder name ex. "PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package" floors, or floors.package or Packedfile/floors.package?

You can rename your sub-folders (do not rename "Mods" folder, obviously) as you wish... i.e. "Floors"
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package is a line that you need to add ONLY in the resource.cfg file.
This line serves exclusively to add sub-folders in your "Mods" folder
Example:
*/* - 1 subfolder
*/*/* - 2 subfolder ...etc,etc.....
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by uhriahx

I have to admit now though that I haven't been able to make this work.

It would have been great if there was an actually downloadable file that works available.

Test Subject
#50 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 3:39 AM
Page 2 of 5