Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 4:06 AM
Default How does everyone organize there mods?
So ya like the title suggests, I'm just curious to know how everyone organizes there mods. I have mine set up by where I downloaded them, then by type, then by the modder. However, upon getting back into the game, and having weird bugs and crashes. I learned I've somehow managed to duplicate what feels like 90% of my mods. So clearly my style of organization isn't working.
I also apologize if I didn't make any sense still recovering from finals.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 4:22 AM

I put all CAS items in one CAS folder, all mods in one mods folder, and so on.
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 8:36 AM
I have my mods separated by creator, and check the whole folder for conflicts with Delphy’s dashboard http://modthesims.info/d/387006/tes...4167-38743.html. I use CC magic for all my cc. I don’t have all that spare time like nitromon
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 8:59 AM
Other than naming them with <author><underscore><mod title> I don't. I try to keep everything in the root folder to reduce load times.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Apr 2019 at 9:31 AM Last edited by TheThirdWizard : 27th Apr 2019 at 9:32 AM. Reason: Small grammar mistake
I mostly do what the others said earlier, with the mention that I also keep track of the order in which I install mods. Please note though that my current mod sorting method is something I haven't used until recently.

I like to place every mod's files in one folder, even if there is only one package. Also, my game is very buggy, as I have many mods that, while not conflicting against each other, might cause several bugs. So, I generally let my mods being swappable by sorting them by EP first. For mods that require more EPs, I simply put them in a folder of the EP that I consider to be affected the most by the mod. Of course, some mods cannot be removed very easily (your savee can be seen as being corrupted by the game), so I put those into a separate folder, and I never remove them.

So, want your game to load and run faster and you aren't playing with any stuff from ITF any soon? Just remove the 'Into The Future' folder, and it's all done. You can also keep essentials in a separate folder, so, for example, when removing the 'Supernatural' folder, you know that you should be careful to not remove the No More Zombies Generated At Full Moom mod by Personcalledjoy, for example. (Assuming that you hate zombies as much as I do and neither you want to turn your lunar cycle to static, so you still have full moons for your other occults.)

Then, I use the classic CAS, Tuning, etc sorting, then I have a naming pattern for each mod folder. I use a system which I like to call 'mod sets'. All my mod folders are named like that: 'G-Master Controller', or 'L-No autonomus bottle feed foals' . The mod with the letter G is installed much earlier than the mod with the letter L. Also, I used to install between 10 and 20 mods at once (now I have probably installed all the mods available that I liked or needed), which all received the same letter. And even if I installed lonely mods sometimes, I made sure that each mod set contains at least 7 mods.

I usually don't put the author name anywhere in my folders. I find it redundant. I usually google the mod's name or filename if I want to find the mod's page for info about the mod, or the author's name, for crediting him/her for his/her amazing work. And I always find it. Unless it's from The Sims Asylum, in which case I log into their site, open the creator's subforum and just dig for it. (Usually searching on their site hardly gives me the results I search for; maybe I'm using it wrong IDK.)
Space Pony
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 10:26 PM
Oh wow, lots of variety. Sorry for the late reply, middle of finals! Thanks, ya'll I'll probably mix and match what everyone suggested. I had forgotten that the further in folders a mod is the longer it takes to load.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 1st May 2019 at 7:48 PM
I don't have so many mods that ruthless organization of them is really necessary. I do organize CC like crazy, though, which I learned I had to do back in Sims 2, or I would never be able to find anything. (I organize by type of item.)
Scholar
#9 Old 1st May 2019 at 10:39 PM
I divide them into themes. Like Vampires, Witches, Skin tone CC, Eye CC, Nraas MC, SP, Traveller, Hybrid, Nraas Extras, Hospital, Careers.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Field Researcher
#10 Old 2nd May 2019 at 8:05 PM
My organization can best be described as "Squirrel on espresso" Yeah. I mean, with CC magic it's a bit easier and I do have them in collection files, but there's where the organization stops. All mods (Nraas, etc) in the override files, the stuff I don't merge with CC magic (sliders, etc) are in their own folders, and the new CC folder needs to be organized. I might do that today.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th May 2019 at 6:34 PM
I compress my packages into big package files with S3pe. One of clothes, another of hair, makeup, skins, sliders, objects and build objects. Mods I keep without compressing. Right now my mods are 2.59 GB big, though I want to lower it to 2.0 GB. I have 100 packages in my mods folder. I find that the less GB I have, the less lag I get, especially when I have less hair and clothing.