Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:45 PM
I am asking for help, and I can't find any good helicopter textures and thought someone else could find one, I have knowledge on Object Creation, but still can't get it to work, and those tutorials didn't really help(as I already have knowledge on them)

for me the mesh is only 3016 poly's(thats not very high), and what would happen if I decrease the shapes?(and how do I do that anyway?)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#77 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:45 PM
Well, I didn't see either comment as an answer since both are filled with modifiers, nothing really definitive.

Since the object displays fine, altho the mesh names are short and to the point, in my case they must be ok so that leaves the object data files as the culprit.

I don't know how to go back and correct these mistakes. Can I just go in and 'update all mmats' on the right file? Would that work or would that change other things that need to be fixed?

Maybe should I just start again from scratch?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#78 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _OMERTA_
I am asking for help, and I can't find any good helicopter textures and thought someone else could find one, I have knowledge on Object Creation, but still can't get it to work, and those tutorials didn't really help(as I already have knowledge on them)

for me the mesh is only 3016 poly's(thats not very high), and what would happen if I decrease the shapes?(and how do I do that anyway?)

Maxis has a recomended limit of 800 poly's per tile (1000-1200 I think is ok personally) Your object has double that. Direct-X mesh tool within MilkShape can reduce poly's without killing the integrity of the mesh if used carefully. Other optimizers and welding can also reduce poly and vertice counts.

In every tutorial out here it states that multiple shapes should be combined as one or two depending on the cloned objects amount of subsets. Then, also in every tutorial they state that the shape names in the SHPE file should match those in your GMDC.

As to the texturing: With such an incredible modeling skills shown in the modeling of the helicopter I don't understand how basic mapping and texturing cannot be applied since meshing and creating go hand in hand.

Mutant Bunny: Yes you can go back and click "update and commit" in the proper file or you can go into the MMAT and enter the proper GUID manually.

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Forum Resident
#79 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 6:01 PM
Thank you!

EDIT: Fixed! yay!

I should probably fix the unique name thing if I want to share this--so to do that I can simply export mesh, rename it and import, assign hash and save. Will that solve me 'unique name' problem?

I probably should have just started over....
Field Researcher
#80 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 6:04 PM
hi there here we have a c=64
the model is pretty nice and the texture too
but for some reason the desktop screen crash the game
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#81 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mutantbunny
Thank you!

EDIT: Fixed! yay!

I should probably fix the unique name thing if I want to share this--so to do that I can simply export mesh, rename it and import, assign hash and save. Will that solve me 'unique name' problem?

I probably should have just started over....

I recommend just starting over as you stated... Just write your GUIDs down, extract you texture and .OBJ and reclone. Then just import you .obj, texture and re-enter your GUID. This way you can name in the scengraph properly to correct the names throughout the package...

Max3D: Did you add the CD door through the mesh tool in 3D mode or just import it the regular way? If it is an animated object you need to follow a similar procedure as with making and armoire, dresser or any other "animated object.

Field Researcher
#82 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 7:41 PM
... c=64 haven't a cd door :P
nope my model didn't have a cd door.. i've also tryed to remove the "play" menu but i do some mess ^^

btw the problem is in the "desk" texture...
Field Researcher
#83 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 12:29 AM
hi jwoods.

im helping simmer21 with uvmapping and i am finding it hard as its the desktop chair. how do i make a texture map for it and which chair should i make it over?
Test Subject
#84 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 12:37 AM
I was wondering if somebody could help me i've made a decorative bowl but when it's in the game the back side of the bowl seems to disappear,and i can't work out what i've done wrong please help.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#85 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Max3D
... c=64 haven't a cd door :P
nope my model didn't have a cd door.. i've also tryed to remove the "play" menu but i do some mess ^^

btw the problem is in the "desk" texture...

Sorry for such a late reply, seems my subsrciptions are not working... ;(

Is the play menu removed in the package above? Seems my game only crash's when I try to use the computer.
What object did you clone?

JucIEJ1991: what type of chair you are making will dictate what chair to clone, If your making a desk chair then clone that type of chair if your making a living room chair then you should clone a similar chair. I would need more info to better guide you in that matter. As to UV mapping for both of you your best bet would be to read this thread: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=79954

Numenor did a great job explaining UV mapping here and it is a valuable read for anyone wanting to learn "how" to UV map and what map types best suit your needs.

Eglitterbug: Bet you thought I forgot you... Well your post did slip by the first time but I caught it... The problem with your bowl was the fact that there were no facets on the inside of the bowl. A quick short cut to this type problem is to invert the faces of the original bowl's mesh. Then save the bowl as another name without changing the shape names. Then import both back into your 3D program, this combines the two mesh's and allows your texture to show both inside and outside. The "long way is to add all those facets manually which is a huge effort. I took care of this mesh for you so here you go...

Field Researcher
#86 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 1:47 AM
its a desk chair!
Field Researcher
#87 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 12:38 PM
JWoods' here is your working copy of the cookies
Thank you Jwoods, Jase, Miche and Inge Jones for trying to help me' I do Appreciate it!

I still need a bit of help on one of the Texture Images (TXTR Files) not linking right for some reason?
but i am to tired and so done with this package to care at the moment :vikingb:

I would believe it is the bottom one? but with almost 72 hours of no sleep i am not gonna mess with it right now..
maybe someone can find the problem while i am catching up on much needed zzzzzz'S?

Anyways the package is a bit crude but it works and to think i had to go back to SimPE 0.18 to figure it out!
Field Researcher
#88 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 1:51 PM
JWoods, there isn't the voice "play" on my computer... where did u find it ? Oo'

p.s.
sorry for the late reply too ^^

********** edit
i've restored the menu string and the function one
but it crash when i turn on the pc..
so the problem is on the replaced desktop
#89 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 2:19 PM
After recolor w/ wizards of simpe
i redid the black and whit colloge with color pictures of my self. every time i try to use the painting in the game this popup says "the application has crashed, the application will now terminate...and the the game shuts down. :weep: :banghead:
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#90 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 2:59 PM
Niner: Please include a package so it can be looked into...

Fireflies: I looked through the scenegraph and everything looked ok there as far as linking. This is odd because the link name to the plate TXTR from the TXMT was wrong. The extension "_TXTR" should not be included in the "stdMatBaseTextureName", I corrected that minor error. I also wondered why when the cookies were being served it was served as one cookie. I checked the linking again as well as the mapping and texture all seemed in order. I included the package with the repaired TXMT name but I still wonder about the "state" mesh which seems to be getting replaced. Maybe I am wrong and it is supposed to be served as one big cookie?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#91 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 4:02 PM
Max3D: I looked again at your package, you have cloned the cheap computer. If we look inside the GMDC of your C64 we see the following shapes.
1. groundshadow
2. computercheap_computer
3. cd
4. screen

These shapes are also in your SHPE file. You have deleted the cd shape in the GMDC but that doesn't delete the CRES, SHPE, TXMT and Text list refrences. As I mentioned in my previous post this does not avoid the cd animation or refrence to it. The game crash's because it looks for the shape to complete the action (animation) which has bones it refrences. You would have to delete all refrences to this action. Deleting the BHAV's or GMDC shape is not enough to break the refrence. This is why you are fooled into thinking it is the added "desktop". There is a whole lot more involved with your package. When we work with animated packages deleting a simple shape does not eliminate all the other refrences. Every refrence to the cd must be removed.
Field Researcher
#92 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 5:17 PM
i've removed alot of stuff involved with cd but it crash anyway
ok.. i'll start from zero.. again :weep:

thnx anyway Jwoods
Field Researcher
#93 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 10:02 PM
JWoods - the plate of cookies they eat from is based from the toaster pastry
so i followed the base mesh it has ..
nothing else would have worked for this food design as the animations of the sims hand make certain foods impossible .. At least for now!

As far as i can tell you cannot make a "served" plate of cookies and have them only pick one up?
The final mesh of the toaster pastry (Cookie) has only one mesh,
thats why you only see only one big cookie..
poorly done animations on maxis part i agree!

I could be wrong and you are talking about the serving plate?
then it should show more than one cookie?
it has six original toaster pastry mesh designs..

Thank you very much for the correction i was so tired that i probably looked at it a thousand times and didnt see the problem!

Off to see if i can make a better mesh design for it
and when i release it to the public i will let them know you were the one who corrected the package ..
if it were not for this thread and your help & me saving all of the downloadable SimPE Packages lol i would have trashed the whole mesh
and probably given up on using it's design, Thanks again!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#94 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 12:07 AM
Yes your correct about the "served plate of cookies they would end up picking them all up and looking like pigs, lol.

I spent a lot of time in your package following each subset (mesh) I notice that the multi cookie mesh had not shown up at all in game but is refrenced. I assumed that when the plate of cookies was served that it would contain all the cookies and the Sim would pick one up. Obviously you have answered that and why it wouldn't be a good thing. Is the multi cookie mesh inside the oven maybe? Please forgive me but actual game playing to any extent is rare as I spend most of my hours in my creation programs or here on the site.

I found that the cookies looked very appetizing as they are and don't see much need to change anything asside from the fact that Sims will now eat cookies for breakfast... Ha ha ha, very nice job there..

Max3D: Seems you present some challenging objects yourself. I had an idea early but wasn't here to tell you... Maybe try cloning the "sister" (I don't remember the full name of hand) computer? If I remember right there is no cd involved with that mesh but yet an unfolding animation that could or could not present a problem. Sorry I haven't been able to get positive results and only "sour" answers.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 1:00 AM
lol we can't win everytime

********************** edit ***
who said no ?

... let's look the new attach
i've got the cheap computer.
ive re-builded the texture.
ive imported the meshes (with import step)
i've checked the option "remove all groups before import"
so evey "links and join are removed too"
now the computer works fine

if u play at ssx (or even other videogames) TS2 will play the "insert cd" animation also there isn't bones, and meshes...
to be true there isn't a cd too

Now, if u break the computer the TS2 will play the nimation that turn the pc about 70° on Z axis but the pc will not move (cause it's no animated and haven't any bones)

btw now, what i wish is to replace the screens !!
i want to replace the 2 boot screens, the desktop one and the other...
so maybe Numenor or Jwoods, could u help me ?
i just wish to know the steps to do

btw as usual, thnx again =)
Screenshots
Test Subject
#96 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 12:06 PM
Hi JWoods
Thanks for your help i've jotted down your instructions.I was just wondering where my mesh is (quote:I took care of this mesh for you so here you go... ) sorry if this sounds daft but i'm quite new to posting on this site.
But thanks for all your help you really are a jem. :D
Field Researcher
#97 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Yes your correct about the "served plate of cookies they would end up picking them all up and looking like pigs, lol.

I spent a lot of time in your package following each subset (mesh) I notice that the multi cookie mesh had not shown up at all in game but is refrenced. I assumed that when the plate of cookies was served that it would contain all the cookies and the Sim would pick one up. Obviously you have answered that and why it wouldn't be a good thing. Is the multi cookie mesh inside the oven maybe? Please forgive me but actual game playing to any extent is rare as I spend most of my hours in my creation programs or here on the site.

I found that the cookies looked very appetizing as they are and don't see much need to change anything asside from the fact that Sims will now eat cookies for breakfast... Ha ha ha, very nice job there..

The box of cookies comes from the fridge' Yes
this then turns into the multi cookie mesh that goes into the oven (at this point the texture is still not showing?) could be a bad texture file on my side?

anyways then the multi cookie mesh comes back out of the oven after that it changes when put on the table as a single cookie mesh on a plate

then they eat them but of course the cookie never disapears off the plate? i am still trying to learn why this happens?
The scenegrapher shows that there is no txtr file referenced below the platedessert_clean_txmt file but i have yet to find it's values to add it into the package ... this happens in all food files so far
oh and the txmt file also shows that it is not activated i am sure you can tell because it is darkened out..

i dont play the game much more than making sure my packages work or testing other peoples packages or opening up a few off the wall packages to see how they are made

Other than that i tried to make a four armed sim once which proved to be flawed (couldnt get the bones to split off to the other arms) in the end i just scrapped it
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#98 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 3:22 PM
Eglitterbug: I am sorry about that, I must have been a bit sleepy :D, here is your bowl back.

Fireflies: the darkened "clean plate" if you notice in the scengraph is available "Extern". This means it is ok just pointed to but not used from your package. As long as it doesn't say "false" your ok.

Lab Assistant
#99 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 4:10 PM
I felt I needed to start over on this and as begin from scratch maybe some one could help me as I come to problems that I don't understand, and then maybe better understand the processes of start to finish. Any help give will be appreciated more than known.

Ok, here is my object, I have a feeling it is way over the vertices needed. Knowing I could use the DirectX Mesh Tool to reduce it, what should I reduce the figure to and what would I need to do next so that when the texture is applied it will not be so distorted?

I have attached the before and after using the DirectX Mesh Tool.
Screenshots

Make a friend today and put a smile on your face! Lady De's Sims 2
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#100 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 4:25 PM
When you are using the direct -x mesh tool look in the tiny window as you move the "slider". You can actually see when the integrity of the mesh is starting to dissipate. It can be trial and error when trying to find a goow medium...
Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 4 of 52