Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 9:38 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Show color or texture name in mouse over
I recall there was something that showed the names of colors or textures of objects when I used the color selection tool to change the color of an object that's already been placed on the lot, but I don't remember if it was the CEP or something else that did that. Knowing the names of specific colors in the menu would be useful when dealing with objects that have a large catalog of colors and recolors (such as Fractured Moonlight's collections of rocks and stone furniture). I'm playing the Ultimate Collection and I have The "CEP" - Color Enable Package v. 9.2.0 installed. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 12:36 PM
With boolprop testingcheatsenabled when you mouse over it'll show the texture name. It's only helpful for recolors if the creator changed the texture name. Most won't have because it's not needed and I've never read anywhere that it was a best practice and encouraged so it might not be as helpful as you'd think.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 2:35 PM
I was going to suggest Testingcheats earlier, but does it really show the texture name (as in file name)? I'm not so sure. It does show some information, but I can't remember exactly what it shows.

For instance, if you hover over the crib in the recolor tool, I think it just shows the resource name (cribcheap-bluemoons if the blue bedding was used for the recolor base, or cribcheap-pink if you used the pink bedding). So you'll know which subset was used, but not which recolor you're looking at. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Recolors do seem to follow some sort of alphabetical order, possibly also folder sorting, so if you have all your recolors of an item in a folder, they tend to be sorted either A-Z or Z-A in the recolor catalog. Not sure if it's a set rule, it's just something I've observed in my own game.

Personally I'm very careful when naming files, so sets show up together. It's so annoying having to look for "blue.package" and "pink.package" from the set in between 50 other colors, since one will be in one end of the catalog and the other'll be at the other end.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 5:40 PM
Thanks to both of you. I doubt it was a boolprop cheat because I never used those in the old days. This was more like a setting of a utility program I had installed a long time ago. If I remember correctly, the texture name would show up in a mouse over both when you're selecting the object from the buy mode catalog and in the color selection tool's menu when you wanted to choose a different color after you'd placed the object on the lot. The mouse over showed not only the names of custom content textures and recolors it also showed the original texture names for Maxis objects that didn't have cc recolors installed. I'm not sure if such a thing still exists because it was something I had 10 or more years ago on a different computer from the one I have now.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 6:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Mar 2019 at 6:28 PM.
I have some doubts there ever was such a mod (one that shows the actual name of the recolor, not just the Testingcheats info), unless by some obscure creator, because I think I'd be all over it.

Still sounds a bit like Testingcheats. There's a pretty old mod called SeeThem, which enabled a few cheats including Testingcheats, Snapobjects, 45Degree, and removed the nudity blur. Only thing I can think of, and it's at least 10 years old. I attached a picture, in case it looks familiar. Also attached a picture of what the box TestingCheats enables looks like (borrowed picture from d4re). I was right in that it only shows the resource/subset name, not the actual filename, so you can use it to find a recolor (with SimPE, for instance), but you can't reliably use it to show the actual name of a recolor while ingame.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the hovertext for CAS items? You can make it show the filename or recolor name when hovering the mouse over the item (CAS + Bodyshop - doesn't work in the wardrobe).

PS: If you decide to get the SeeThem program - I think it's still available - then make sure to take a safety copy of your UserStartup file if you've previously edited it, because it will get edited whenever you click something in the program. Or simply add the cheats to your userstartup without installing the program. Only thing it does outside of the cheats is to remove the censor, and there are other ways around it.
Screenshots
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 6:41 PM
If you Google Sims 2 Programs you'll get a pretty long list of links - some of those link to sites and programs/utilities I've never heard of! In all of those I didn't see anything like you're describing though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 9:08 PM Last edited by Odinsdragondaughter : 3rd Mar 2019 at 9:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Also attached a picture of what the box TestingCheats enables looks like (borrowed picture from d4re). I was right in that it only shows the resource/subset name, not the actual filename, so you can use it to find a recolor (with SimPE, for instance), but you can't reliably use it to show the actual name of a recolor while ingame.

This second image looks more like what I remember. Was it possible this cheat became active randomly or automatically? I remember there were times when the CAS studio would have a pop-up message saying it was testing for errors or something and for a brief time locked outfits for the NPCs would become available for use with playable sims. I ask because I never deliberately used any of the boolprop cheats back then.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 9:13 PM
That sounds like debug mode, yes (Debug in CAS is Testingcheats + Ctrl+N, I think. Been a while since I've used it)

Testingcheats needs to be activated either by writing in the code, having it in your UserStartup, or using a mod that enables it. It's possible you had a mod, because it shouldn't activate randomly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 9:45 PM
Thanks. It probably was a mod that activated cheats then.