Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#7751 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:47 PM
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#7752 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:06 AM
I'm getting the sims urbz vibe here. Hopefully I can become bob ross or pewdiepie with this expansion
One Minute Ninja'd
#7754 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:43 AM
After being burned on TS3's SHT, I'd definitely leave this to early adopters before even thinking about it. Does anyone remember the single worst bug of SHT, and probably that of all of TS3? The Singer career where when you finally reach stardom and are giving regular concerts that as a player you got to manage, the audio of the singing cut out half the time, so you were staring at your personally crafted lovingly managed Taylor Swift lip syncing but with someone forgetting to turn on the music track . They never fixed it. That was one of the most insulting bugs (among many others) left in TS3 that was never properly addressed.

And no, there's no way you can possibly come up with a convoluted story that it was really a feature.

This is one I'll sit back with some popcorn and see what happens.
Instructor
#7755 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Unsearchably
When I think celebrity/fame in the Sims series there are three things that come to mind...

- The Urbz, an attempt at creating a spin-off series that was stopped dead in it's tracks after the first and only game flopped.
- The Sims Superstar and The Sims 3 Showtime, two showbiz themed expansions and easily the most forgettable in the franchise.
- The celebrity/fame mechanic present in The Sims and The Sims 3 that was more of an annoyance than anything else, they even had to add an option to disable it altogether in the later title.

In other words, three ideas that haven't worked in the past despite two of them having been attempted twice. Either EAxis has something else in mind entirely or nothing at all seeing how bad they are at taking a hint...

I am one that always disabled the celebrity option for my household. It was very annoying kind of like how memories were incorporated (I also disable those) and the annoying attraction system they had... UGHHHH... I love TS3 but there are definitely some annoying things about it lol and I never owned Showtime. I don't know if I really want it now that you mentioned the issue with it... I don't think EAxis will ever learn when it comes to some of the mistakes they make. I mean take how buggy 4 is and how buggy they left 3. It's sad really...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7756 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:02 AM
I feel TS1 handled fame well, but Showtime never managed to really nail it. It felt like an extension to Late Night, but relatively worse. A variety of interactive careers will be what saves this packs - recording albums, staring in music videos, directing movies, and designing clothing, modeling... the list goes on. I feel like this could be very well integrated with Get To Work (Modeling), Get Together (Fame Driven Social Groups), City Living (Live Music), and Spa Day.

No fluff or gimmicks.
Fame can work well if it’s earned.

I also like what someone say about being “Bob Ross.” I would love to see fame based on skills and sales. Like, if you sell x amount of high skill painting, your popularity still increase. Same with selling cooking, woodworking, gardening, etc., as fame isn’t limited to what we see in TV.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#7757 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:24 AM
I am so excited! Can't wait for details.
Instructor
#7758 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:52 AM
So here's the betting pool:
Did they or did they not do this pack so that they can have a celebrity endorse the pack and get them free publicity from the impressionable teen demographic? Will there be a weaksauce celebrity tie-in or will they actually avoid it this time?

I'm personally very wary of any EP concept that seems really niche (some of us don't want our sims to be famous and notable) and likewise tends to get coupled with awkward celebrity endorsements and weaksauce cash-grab packs.
Mad Poster
#7759 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
So here's the betting pool:
Did they or did they not do this pack so that they can have a celebrity endorse the pack and get them free publicity from the impressionable teen demographic? Will there be a weaksauce celebrity tie-in or will they actually avoid it this time?

I'm personally very wary of any EP concept that seems really niche (some of us don't want our sims to be famous and notable) and likewise tends to get coupled with awkward celebrity endorsements and weaksauce cash-grab packs.

You did not LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the K Perry pack in 3????? The ONLY EP/pack for 3 I did not buy. And proud of it. LOL
Scholar
#7760 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 6:08 AM
Mixed Feelings what I think it is, and another november release, you could buy it full price is your really desperate for new content, or just wait till Christmas and get it half-price.
One Minute Ninja'd
#7761 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 6:10 AM
I wonder if there will be another world with it and what they'll theme it. I mean if your doing the lifestyle of the rich and superfluous you really need the right setting. The world from TS3's SHT wasn't terrible, although it was a bit small. If only they'll leave some larger lots to build on so your famous sims can have the gaudy mansion they worked so hard to afford, only to lose it in a bankruptcy auction. Maybe something like The Real Sims of Palm Beach.

There better not be anyone who's first name is Kim involved in this if there is some celebrity tie in.
Field Researcher
#7762 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 12:34 PM Last edited by Teostar : 9th Oct 2018 at 12:49 PM.

The sixth expansion pack for The Sims 4 will introduce a celebrity system, superstar active careers and a new Los Angeles themed world.
Release date: November 16, 2018.

Trailer coming later today at 10am PST

Quote:
Reach for the stars
Rise to stardom as an actor or influencer and navigate the wild turns of wealth and fame. Audition for career-making roles, attend wardrobe fittings, buy a mega mansion & cruise through Del Sol Valley in style.

You’ve got fans
The famous life was made for your Sims, so show off your fab celebrity lifestyle.

Claim Your Fame
Embark on a glamorous career path and face the challenges that come with being a pop culture icon.

Act the Part
Audition for commercial gigs or land a breakout role in the latest blockbuster

Run This Town
Be the talk of the town when you find yourself in a mansion at The Pinnacles with a spot on the walk of fame.

Live a Lavish Lifestyle
Go from extravagant set costumes to chic streetwear as you strut down Starlight Boulevard

Scholar
#7763 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:06 PM
Another active career? I'm here for it tbh. Just hope it's not as empty as the GTW ones. lol Oh and this should be the best opportunity to fix and upgrade the GTW careers, because damn they are effed up.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7764 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:09 PM
I’m bothered that there appears to only be acting and “influencing.” What about the music and fashion careers we have now?

Also...

Get To Work...
Get Together...

Nah, let’s ditch the Get monicker.

Get Famous...

Scholar
#7765 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:27 PM
I'm wondering if this pack, maybe we get finally get a pool table, but I don't see it related at all to this pack.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7766 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:42 PM
Rich people are the ones who are most likely to have them. Billiard rooms were quite popular among the fabulously wealthy. It would work here if nowhere else.

Instructor
#7767 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 1:50 PM
"cruise through Del Sol Valley in style", I wonder if that's a hint at cars?

I suspect there'll be the usual focus on music and acting, but I also think they're going to focus a lot on internet celebrity - like being able to gain notoriety through being a "vlogger" or a social media influencer because this is very much in-line with the style of the game and the audience they're targeting.

From the screenshots, it looks like Del Sol Valley is a city like San Myshuno with apartments.
Forum Resident
#7768 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 2:59 PM Last edited by hiabara : 9th Oct 2018 at 3:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Unsearchably
When I think celebrity/fame in the Sims series there are three things that come to mind...

- The Urbz, an attempt at creating a spin-off series that was stopped dead in it's tracks after the first and only game flopped.
- The Sims Superstar and The Sims 3 Showtime, two showbiz themed expansions and easily the most forgettable in the franchise.
- The celebrity/fame mechanic present in The Sims and The Sims 3 that was more of an annoyance than anything else, they even had to add an option to disable it altogether in the later title.

In other words, three ideas that haven't worked in the past despite two of them having been attempted twice. Either EAxis has something else in mind entirely or nothing at all seeing how bad they are at taking a hint...

Did Urbz really flop though? I don't know any statistics, but everytime Bustin' Out and Urbz get mentioned somewhere like Reddit people are full of nostalgia and agree how much they loved it, how often they replayed it and how much they would want another version like this. I honestly love The Urbz too - The PS2 and Gameboy versions were completely different, but both were a lot of fun.
But as I said, I don't know any sales numbers, so maybe they didn't sell well enough to be considered successful...
edit: Funnily enough this is the top post on r/thesims right now https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...sims_fans_know/

I do agree with the fame system in TS3 though. I only played with it for a few hours, then turned it off forever. It was so annoying.

Quote: Originally posted by Teostar

The sixth expansion pack for The Sims 4 will introduce a celebrity system, superstar active careers and a new Los Angeles themed world.
Release date: November 16, 2018.

Trailer coming later today at 10am PST

Reach for the stars
Rise to stardom as an actor or influencer and navigate the wild turns of wealth and fame. Audition for career-making roles, attend wardrobe fittings, buy a mega mansion & cruise through Del Sol Valley in style.

You’ve got fans
The famous life was made for your Sims, so show off your fab celebrity lifestyle.

Claim Your Fame
Embark on a glamorous career path and face the challenges that come with being a pop culture icon.

Act the Part
Audition for commercial gigs or land a breakout role in the latest blockbuster

Run This Town
Be the talk of the town when you find yourself in a mansion at The Pinnacles with a spot on the walk of fame.

Live a Lavish Lifestyle
Go from extravagant set costumes to chic streetwear as you strut down Starlight Boulevard

Not sure how to feel... Most things seem like they just repeat themselves or are irrelevant.
- They mention influencer in the first point as if it's part of the pack, so is it a new kind of influencer or are they pretending the free patch is part of the paid pack?
- Buying a mega mansion and changing clothes are the basic things of The Sims. Is that another part where they try to make it look the EP is stuffed or is there another meaning?
- "cruise through Del Sol Valley" could be hinting at new means of transportations, but if it's actually cars wouldn't they mention it? Here's wondering if it's another great boat like in Brindleton Bay.
- I do like the idea of a new world and a new really active career like GTW though, so I'm sorry for raining on everyone's parade I need the trailer asap to look for more hints
Field Researcher
#7769 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:17 PM
I love the city! Would like to see it snow. On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed that you gain your fame by become an actor instead based on skill.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7770 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 3:46 PM
What if there’s a yacht to purchase, own, and build on?

Lab Assistant
#7771 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:08 PM
If it releases in November, does that mean the pre-patch is the script killer?
Instructor
#7772 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
You did not LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the K Perry pack in 3????? The ONLY EP/pack for 3 I did not buy. And proud of it. LOL

I'm actually convinced we WON'T see a celebrity tie-in simply because that pack was so infamous. In a way, that pack may have "saved" us from future celebrity tie-ins just by being bad.

Just curious though, who here is actually a fan of the superstar themed expansions? I'd love to hear input as to why (or even why not) people like this pack concept.

These packs really really REALLY aren't my cup of tea, because the function of these packs is typically that they make your Sim feel like Sim Jesus and that everyone loves them and wants to give them billions of dollars, but typically the problem with Sims games is there aren't enough normal people with mediocre lives: everyone eventually becomes a billionaire playboy with thousands of friends. Sims 3 for example you could get a promotion for going to work and not farting loud enough for co-workers to hear, so it was actually challenging not to be rich in Sims 3. Showtime, iirc, actually had jobs that awarded hundreds of thousands a week. All it did was service a player's desire to make a wealthy sim, but wtf if anything there was a surplus of those and a high demand for more modest career paths.

Fame did the same. It was actually difficult in Sims 3 to NOT be famous, simply because of the way the system worked. The result was that everyone in town who ever met you was your friend, and you'd complete the charisma challenges without even trying. Legit, I think there was one you could complete without even introducing yourself to anyone - they just had to see you and bask in your glory.

To be fair, Sims 1 didn't suffer from these problems since money was more tight in Sims 1 and fame was something only Sims within those careers could build up, so the concept itself isn't as flawed as Sims 3 made it. However, I still worry because the gaming industry as a whole lean towards "make it super easy so the player feels a sense of pride and accomplishment and will never feel frustrated ever," so typically the gaming industry tends to underestimate how many people would prefer a challenge or a more down-to-earth, reasonable representation of income and the like. I mean if Jungle Adventure and the recent flower arranging skill are any indication, oh yeah, they're ready to spam us down with simoleons as if we really need another 14 million.

And as a cherry on top, celeb status always has a wide array of features attached that eventually get obnoxious: paparazzi harassing your sim, getting so much fan mail and free shit that you simply stop checking your mailbox at all since you already have everything, taking a sudden, poorly-timed hit to your friendships or work relationships because omg a paparazzi caught your sim forgetting to put the cap back on the toothpaste, and having your messages spammed to hell and back so that it's tedious just to click through them or you actually go to shut the phone off entirely. And if Sims 3 is anything to go off of, we can expect the pack to be really vapid and lacking in actual content. Honestly, Showtime was one of the worst expansions Sims 3 released, nor was Superstar particularly loved amongst Sims 1. I'd even argue it was skipped for Sims 2 because the concept is just so niche, breaks some people's immersion of their little humble suburban lifestyle, and doesn't seem to be particularly popular when compared to other staples. I mean supernatural stuff STOMPS all over immersion, and despite this, the supernatural fanbase seems to be much larger than this one is. What does this one offer that other pack concepts don't? A more subtle reputation system like in Sims 2 can service the same purpose.

I've really never understood the desire of this pack concept at all, just because to me it always serves purposes that A.) are already fulfilled, or B.) it's features can be downright obnoxious and intrusive. Their choice if they wanna tackle it and try to make it work, but it's really not my cup of tea at all. For me, this is akin to simply not releasing another pack this Winter.
Forum Resident
#7773 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:17 PM
I don't understand why they're not adding a modeling career once again. (At least that's what I see so far)
In TS1 Superstar we had a modeling career, with photo shoots , runaways etc.
I remember in TS2 H&M Stuff they tried to implement something like a runaway but the never did it after all.
TS3 Late Night & Showtime had also a lost chance on this one.

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Top Secret Researcher
#7774 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 4:38 PM
I don't get it either. A modelling career would be hugely popular.

All I can think is that they plan on using it for a later EP/GP/SP.

Or..... That the style influencer that comes in the next patch is the remnants of a model/fashion direction they started to create for this EP.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Forum Resident
#7775 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 5:13 PM
Btw, did anyone notice how weird the gif teaser looks? Pay attention to the red-headed woman on the right side.

Is it a bug? Is it a feature? Is it a tongue? Is it a moustache? We'll never know.
Locked thread
Page 311 of 447