Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#351 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:27 AM
joninmobile: Unlikely to happen. The old non-tabbed view is legacy stuff, and I'm not adding or changing any features on that page. Why not switch to the new view and try it out?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#352 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 4:54 AM
Hope this thread still receives attention from the mods/site admins..

When i look at my uploads and uploads of other creators, i always realize how incredible different the downloads / thanks ratio is. It could be that these people download the stuff, check it out and think it doens't fit their taste and therefore don't thank the upload, but i'm sure the majority is just lazy or overlooks the thanks function, or are persons who don't care, wouldn't it be a generious step to put a message in bold letters on top of the downloads sections which says:

"If you like an upload, please spend the few seconds and push the THANKS button"

Or make the thanks button bigger, dunno i always found the Downloads/thanks ratio is very far from each other and i think that can be increased by a simple message that reminds the people to push that tiny itzy bizy button.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#353 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 7:43 AM
Slipslop, there are actually multiple places on a download thread to push the thanks button. One under the text in a banner, one below that in a "Thanks post" panel, and another one on the download tab itself. I really don't think we need yet more banners and messages up there...

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Forum Resident
#354 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 5:13 PM
I understand, but the button is still so tiny that you can barely see it, like you want to hide it. I remember when i started visiting the site, i couldn't see it instantly either and left me with the thought "This button is so small you need a lense to see it"

In the download tab for instance it also blends with the blue background it is placed on and is also harder to see.

It would increase the thanks ratio, if it's placed with bigger size and more visible for the viewer, that's how i would make it, like those telephones for grannys with massive buttons :P

I know smaller looks more professional, but recently they updated the game menu in one of my favorite games and i recognized that they doubled the size of the menu buttons so they are more visible.

-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#355 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 7:32 PM
As a creator, I have to say I prefer my upload to play the central role on a download page –*I wouldn't want it to be drowned in buttons and bigger buttons and "click me!" and flashy arrows and stuff. Just stop looking at your thanks count and look at the download count instead, if it bothers you so much =).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Forum Resident
#356 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
As a creator, I have to say I prefer my upload to play the central role on a download page –*I wouldn't want it to be drowned in buttons and bigger buttons and "click me!" and flashy arrows and stuff. Just stop looking at your thanks count and look at the download count instead, if it bothers you so much =).

Everyone has his own opinion right?

I never said it bothers me, this particular thing just attracted my attention. It's solely up to the site admins to utilize the input from this thread or not and it's not that i suggested flashy buttons with a 'click me' label on it everywhere, just a slightly bigger and more visible thanks button, you exaggerate this a little bit here.

The other one
#357 Old 8th May 2011 at 4:28 PM Last edited by missroxor : 8th May 2011 at 5:02 PM.
Can I still use this thread? I couldn't find a more recent suggestions thread that dealt with general suggestions, only specific ones like the journal one.

Anyway, I read on a thread recently that there was gonna be a little work done to the contests thread but not sure if that just meant the ribbons (which are awesome btw, thanks....just need to get one now) or if you have other stuff in mind too. If you don't have other stuff in mind, well here's my wish list :

I love contests but there never seems to be enough of them on here, people just don't seem to have the enthusiasm or commitment to host or compete in them anymore or something and I can't help but wonder if they might be more inclined to do them if there were other options that required less time/commitment. Plus sometimes it seems like there's never an appropriate time to run a 4-5 week contest (heck, I've seen them drag out for 6 weeks!) Last time I considered trying to host my first one was end of November but I realised by the time I'd get it approved we'd have to compete with Christmas and New Year...times when contestants are likely to lose interest or not join because of that. Now I'm considering trying again, I think my first attempt was rejected but I've re-done bits and I'm looking to re-submit but it's just occured to me that if I submit now by the time we hit round 3 or 4 Generations will come out and there's a high chance my contestants will lose interest again

So my suggested solutions would be that as well as having the current 4-week contests, people would also have the option to run a one or two week mini-contest eg "you have one week to build a ******* with a ****** theme or make-over this sim as a *****....or whatever else people can think of. (You'd perhaps want to adjust the threshold for amount of mini-contests you need to win/host to get a ribbon? or maybe have a second "silver" ribbon....or just not award ribbons for mini-contests alltogether)

Commiting for a week is a lot more manageable than commiting for 4-6 weeks, not to mention a lot less daunting work-load (people put a lot of work into hosting/competing in these contests). The extra traffic might require one of the mods to take a deputy position under Beeps though but I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't mind doing that (I'd do it! hah!).

Edit: I'd also suggest that for the mini contests since there wouldn't be an application week the minimum contestants requirement should be scrapped....except obviously you'd need at least 2 people to compete.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
#358 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 11:56 AM
Default BB code
I don't know if this thread is still open, and I hope an Admin sees this, but I was hoping we could have some better BBcode support for the forums, PMs, etc. I, like many others I'm sure, prefer to be able to recolor and re-size text to make certain things more noticeable and prominent (as well as eye catching and appealing). So I was thinking maybe the site could add some BB codes for
Recoloring text: Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, Pink and Brown
Re-sizing Text: Small, Normal, Large, X-Large
And add the new options to the interface for text.
(but as a side note, if these options do exist already, I'd really appreciate info on how to use them. I already know green text... but that's all I could find....)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#359 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 1:01 PM
Those options are turned off on purpose - most regular members don't need to use them, and if they -do- really need them (like to write a FAQ) there's the header1 tag which gives you large, bold, and purple text with a little arrow at the beginning.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Page 15 of 15