Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 2:15 AM Last edited by RGiles : 13th Apr 2005 at 7:22 AM.
Default Downloads/Betas reorganization
We're making a major change to the organization of the downloads and betas sections of the site. Both types of items are now listed in the Downloads section. The new forums have a lot more subdivisions so that hopefully it will be easier to find what you're looking for. We do plan to add a nice front-end page that displays... well... prettier than the forums for the downlads section. That should be added soon.

The old forums have been archived, which means you can view and download from them, but you can't post to them. The entire staff is working on moving all of the old items into the new forums, but it's a time-consuming project.

The new forums are open for new posts. And... I will explain more about the rules of those forums in the forums themselves. Please do check the announcements when they are made.

UPDATE: This is coming along very well. We're not done yet, but the moderators have been working overtime and we've moved way faster than I expected. Yes, we know that the thumbnail display in forum view isn't working right now. And we know some categories are missing or incorrect. Working on it.

Thanks, y'all.
RG

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 3:16 AM
Wow! :gidea: Thank y'all for all the hard work you put into keeping this forum up and from the sounds of it making a great forum even greater!!! :buddies: :salute:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :grouphug:
Forum Resident
#3 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 3:38 AM
that's probably more benificial in the long run if the site is looking into expanding, but do the skin creators have to redirect mesh threads by themselves or are you guys gonna do it for us?

Don't get mad, get even.
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 3:46 AM
Do skinners have to redirect the whathuhmeshwhere? :D
Forum Resident
#5 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
Do skinners have to redirect the whathuhmeshwhere? :D

Well, if I remember correctly when you submit a new skin that uses custom mesh you have to write down the link to the original mesh and give credit to the original creator, since you guys are moving everything around now I'm sure the old links will no longer work once moved, so what I'm wondering is that if the skin creators should redirect the link on their own by editing their thread post or are the staff redirecting it for us?

By the way, the sub-thread under Sims should be "Anime and Comic Characters" instead of "Comic and Gaming Characters", just a suggestion to kill confusion

Don't get mad, get even.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:08 AM
thunderbreak - There should not be any need to redirect. We're moving the threads so the link should be intact. If you click on Downloads in the menu above, it'll take you to the new Downloads section.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
thunderbreak - There should not be any need to redirect. We're moving the threads so the link should be intact. If you click on Downloads in the menu above, it'll take you to the new Downloads section.

Great news! Thanks

Don't get mad, get even.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:49 AM
Also, FYI please do not post in the new Downloads section unless you have something to actually download. I've already had to move 2 threads that didn't belong there. Treat the new Downloads section much like you'd treat Beta Testers or Downloads v1. Any thread that doesn't contain a legit download will be moved, closed, or deleted.
#9 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:51 AM
The new layout looks very nice and looks as though it will make browsing and downloading a lot easier. Great work!!!
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 8:06 AM
Great Job, you're the best
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 8:30 AM
I have to say I liked the old downloads better. Having the ability to browse ALL the object types at once was better than having all the sub-forums, unless I'm missing something.
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 8:53 AM
A lot of people complained... basically... that everything was too jumbled together. People making object hacks were getting them mixed in and lost with object meshes. Skins and hairs were all lumped together.
Beautiful Girl from Norway
#13 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 11:06 AM
hmmmm... its a bit confusing, but ill get usede to it
Field Researcher
#14 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 11:46 AM
Well, I for one, love it! Pretty much live here (a life? what's that?), and the old beta testers forum was becoming a nightmare; especially when you were checking to see if anything had been updated.

I imagine it was pretty overwhelming for newbies too. Alot of people were getting lost in there.

It's all good guys! Thanks for your dedication. You guys rock! (hey Daysies!!!) <happy sniffle>
Instructor
#15 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 11:51 AM
How do we get our thread moved to the correct section if it was moved wrong?
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 12:10 PM
SnowStorm,

Please send me a PM to let me know. I'm sure we've made some mistakes along the way and we'll make more.

RG
Instructor
#17 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 12:18 PM
Overall, I like it. I really like the picture preview and being able to see the items without having to go into every thread.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#18 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 12:32 PM
That was on the old one too though :D
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 12:35 PM
Not on objects or recolors.
Instructor
#20 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 1:29 PM
Well not on the "beta" objects. I'm glad you got rid of the forced beta on new objects, although you might want to put up a board for people who really do want to beta test.
Original Poster
#21 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 1:33 PM Last edited by RGiles : 13th Apr 2005 at 1:38 PM.
Update again:
Most items have been moved. We are still working on moving Sims, Clothing Recolours, and new clothing, hair and body meshes.

We have not updated stickies posts or announcements in the downloads area yet, and right now I'm too braindead to do it. I've been up all night doing this.

Just off the top of my head:

Testers Wanted is not required on any thread. If you want testers, you can say so. If you do not feel that your item is a beta test, just a regular download, that is up to you to determine. Everyone should be cautious of any non-Maxis content whether it's considered Beta or not, because conflicts or undesired results are always possible.

New threads can not be posted to the downloads area if they do not have any attachments. If you try to submit a new thread there that has no attachments, you'll get a notice that it's not allowed and your thread will not post. This is the only way we can stop the flood of requests and questions in that area. We've been getting too many of those to keep track of manually.

Uploads only have to be approved in the following areas:
Lots & Housing
Genetics Recolors
Clothing Recolors
Sims
For any other type of upload, no approval is required. Approval is required for those few types of files because they can be freely shared on the Exchange on in a lot of other places, and they are also the biggest types of files uploaded and use the most server resources. So we need to be more picky about them and we know there are other places to share them easily.

That is all that come to mind right now and I promise I will try to make more sense when I'm awake.

EDIT: If anyone else finds that their thread is was moved to the wrong forum, please let anyone on the staff know. I'm a bad choice because I plan to be unconscious for a good long time now. :D

RG
Original Poster
#22 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 1:34 PM
Motoki,

We plan to. We're waiting on some feedback from the modders before we set that up.
Instructor
#23 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 1:45 PM
I like the new downloads section....it was much easier to find things.
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 1:45 PM
Well since I'm opinionated lol, as well as currently testing at least one item, where can I input my $.02, or is this going on behind closed doors?
Field Researcher
#25 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 2:01 PM
I love it! It's SO much easier to find things now! This is such an improvement! Thanks for all the hard work! :clap:
Page 1 of 4