Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:28 PM
Default Best Processor for Sims 2 & Sims 3?
Currently I have an AMD processor (Unfortunately I don't remember the name, but I'll get back to you). It's 2.-something GHz (2.5, or 2.3, again I don't remember).

I'm looking to upgrade. The one I'm looking at is an intel i5 4690, 3.5 GHz. Will this be good for playing Sims 2 and Sims 3?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 3:26 AM
If you get a new processor you'll have to change your motherboard, and possibly your RAM as well.

If your processor is running at 2.5ish Ghz it should still be okay for the sims 3 provided its not too old, are you sure its not your graphics that is lacking?

To find out your system specs, click on the "Run..." button in your start menu, type in "dxdiag" in the dialog box that appears and hit Enter. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should appear and it will read your system. This might take a few moments. Then click on the "Save All Information..." button in the lower right corner. It will ask you where you want to save the file. Save it somewhere easily accessible, then post it here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2016 at 10:16 PM
I wasn't sure if I should copy and paste all of it, so I just did the processor, graphics and RAM.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Dedicated Memory: 2017 MB
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 4:18 AM
Yeah you can't buy an Intel CPU and put it into that. You would have to replace the motherboard. I also don't think it.

Your FX-4130 should still be okay for The Sims 2 & 3. So if you're seeing some slow downs it's probably due to your graphics card. It seems like you have 16GB of RAM. That's far more than you need, so that's not the issue.

Your computer is a desktop, right? If so, then you should be able to easily replace the Power Supply Unit, and the Graphics Card. You should try to get something like an "Nvidia GTX 950" or an "AMD R9 380". Along with an appropriate power supply.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 10:24 PM
Thanks I already know I have to buy another motherboard, I just don't know what kind.

What type of power supply would be recommended?
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 10:47 PM
Well it would partially depend on which CPU you choose. But assuming you pick nothing more powerful than a recent i5, then maybe something similar to a Corsair CX500.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 4:54 AM
Oh I was thinking of just getting the i5 4690.

I'm just not sure if it is the graphics or the processor that's the issue?

I used Revit 2015 for a project last year, which was pretty laggy. It can run other games without a problem, usually, or just slight lag.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 4:55 AM
Also can I just say thank you for helping me!
Scholar
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 8:02 AM
No worries. If your games are laggy I think its your graphics card the culprit. Like I mentioned, your CPU should still be okay for The Sims 2 and 3.

Maybe go with a "GTX 950" or an "R9 380", along with a new Power Supply "Corsair CX500M".
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 8:55 PM
Okay, so I'm looking at the NVidia cards and wow, it's so overwhelming. Why so many cards?! Anyway, would 2GB be good enough (I'm running Seasons on ts3, as well as pets, generations, late night and university) or 4GB?
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 2:29 AM
2GB is okay for The Sims usually. It's not a bad idea to get 4GB though if you can afford it. Modern games other than sims use 4GB. I know that high resolution texture mods for other games can push well into the 6GB usage, not sure if the sims ever goes that far though. Maybe someone else can answer that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 10:40 AM
Wow, that's crazy! I found a 12gb card and I thought, 'why would you need that?'

Could a NVidia GTX 770 (or within the 700 range) do?
Scholar
#13 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LaylaRox
Wow, that's crazy! I found a 12gb card and I thought, 'why would you need that?'

Could a NVidia GTX 770 (or within the 700 range) do?

Don't buy anything in the 700 range unless you're getting like 50% off. Buy in the 900 range.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:38 PM
Okay, thanks I've just seen a lot of Sims Youtubers and Instagram people have that card.
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 6:03 AM
I'd like to buy a separate laptop to play my Sims 2 game, but not break the bank. Can someone recommend a Toshiba (My Fav Brand) laptop that would be best for the Sims game? Specs.... Thank you.