Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2015 at 11:00 AM
Default Clarification re. Dead Sites
Hi all,

We've just updated the Creator Guidelines to clarify that if you're using content from a dead site, and the creator's policy isn't posted anywhere else, you can assume (on MTS) that they're happy for their stuff to be edited and included with uploads. If a site we all thought was dead gets resurrected and the creator asks us to remove uploads which violate their resurrected policy, you may be asked to remove stuff from your files and link to the site instead, but we'll try to avoid that.

This isn't really a change, since we've been doing it like this for a while, but it wasn't explicitly stated in the guidelines before. Hopefully the policy is clearer now, and please ask if you've still got any questions.

Enjoy your weekend,
Nysha

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
10 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
#2 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:33 AM
Thanks for this, it certainly helped with my dilemma about uploading anything with, for example, Luna's stuff.
Test Subject
#3 Old 13th May 2015 at 7:15 PM
Awesome thank you for including this.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th May 2015 at 4:30 PM
Thank you for this clarification.
I'm currently working on some cupcakes with Exnem's mesh. So glad I can!

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th May 2015 at 12:30 AM
Oh good, I hope creators take advantage of this! I only have the Sims 2 because when the Sims 4 came out, EA was offering it for free. It's so old that many of the sites people used resources from are gone but a lot of new mods still use those resources.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th May 2015 at 2:24 PM
What about content that was created by non-active members that require meshes from inactive sites? Since it is O.K. to now share these meshes are there plans to update the content with the missing meshes or do we just continue to put in a WCIF request? If the answer is the latter (WCIF thread) is it O.K. to share the meshes within that thread?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2015 at 2:49 PM
I'd say that posting links to the meshes in the comments would be fine, yeah. We won't go through and add links to the main text 'cause it'd be a huge amount of work for the moderators, but creators are welcome to attach meshes from dead sites themselves, including ones which were posted in the comments originally.

Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th May 2015 at 7:40 PM
Awesome, thank you.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 18th May 2015 at 8:40 PM
I asked Luna about linking to TSR while it was still a paysite, and she said it was all ok. I don't know, but from that I thought she would be fine with anyone helping her out uploading lost stuff. I do so much understand the feelings she might have after losing all her meshes though, so it's hard to know for sure. I did try to get in contact with her on email, but didn't get any answer.

Thanks for clearing this up.

If anyone would like to help me out on the missing meshes and post them in comments, I'll gladly download and reupload as part of the attachement on a lot.
Test Subject
#10 Old 31st May 2015 at 2:47 AM
Does this mean if a creator is no longer creating , we are able to edit the meshes etc and reupload on mts ?

What defines a site as "dead"
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st May 2015 at 3:30 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 31st May 2015 at 3:58 AM.
Good question @kiwi_sims4
I just had a reread of the Creator Guidelines and it's not really stated in there what's considered "dead". If it's an MTS creator, it does state that it has to have been at least 1 month since that creator logged in here. But for other sites it doesn't say. Maybe one of the admins @Nysha @HugeLunatic @Leefish can pop in and shed some light one that? The only real answer I can give is if a creator has posted that they're done creating, and then actually stops making new stuff, then it should be safe to say that's a dead site. (Does this mean you're going to upload here again? ) nm that question, i know the answer
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st May 2015 at 3:40 AM
I guess when one has to ask oneself whether or not a site is dead, it might still have a pulse =P. To me a dead site is dead when there is no doubt about its dead-ness.

One way to make sure might be asking in WCIF whether anyone has seen the content of some may-be-dead-or-perhaps-not Schrödinger site having been moved elsewhere or the creator being active elsewhere .. I guess that would sometimes happen when people post their stuff on "free website" deals with limited potential.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 31st May 2015 at 3:50 AM
Just thought of this: Simscave has the sharing forum. Some of the sites aren't dead, they just have unavailable stuff. But there is a thread for dead sites - so if it's in there, it's dead for sure. The Graveyard too - aren't those all dead sites? (To answer my own question, yes and no. For example: they have Betsy4Arts files there but she recently came back to BPS and updated her site. But most of them are dead sites.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 12:57 PM
A dead site is a site which is no longer online or accessible.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 12:43 PM
I have a question on this topic. If a MTS creator has the policy that one should ask before using their stuff but that creator has left the community, does that count as an eternal no to using stuff, or is it okay because it's no longer possible to ask?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.