Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1106
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 5637 (Who?), Viewed: 254637 times.
Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 1:35 PM #5626
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara
A few days ago I saw a post on the Sims subreddit with quite a few upvotes. The post was about how cool it is that the Grim Reaper can invite you to hang out with him. This is something that always seemed like a bug to me tbh. It doesn't seem normal that I see the Grim Reaper walking through town, drinking at a bar or doing exercises. And then he calls you on your phone and invites you to a karaoke party Or how you silence your Sims phone and you still get notifications all the time.
It's just one example, but sometimes I'm still speechless how many bugs there are that people actually consider part of the gameplay. At least in TS3 we could all agree on the bugs

True. I think it would much more convient If you could befriend it (by first asking him via "ask to stay" for a while so you have the time, which I high chance of rejecting the offer), and ask him to move in, which than the grim reaper would roam the town normally. This wouldn't be force to all parents to have his unwanted present, as those who would desire to happen would seek for the goal by adding to an household).
Old Yesterday, 6:12 PM #5627
grindingteeth
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

I am going to be incredibly 'ungrateful', but I strongly dislike those pet doors. They look awkward. No pet door I have ever seen is a miniature barn door, and very few are not combined with an actual human door. I'd say I hope they have a combo door, but I know they do not.

I guess the extra animation was just far too much work to have a pet crawl through a flap/portal.
Last edited by grindingteeth : Yesterday at 10:44 PM.
Old Yesterday, 6:15 PM #5628
hiabara
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindingteeth
I am going to be incredibly 'ungrateful', but strongly dislike those pet doors. They look awkward. No pet door I have ever seen is a miniature barndoor, and very few are not combined with an actual human door. I's say I hope they have a combo door, but I know they do not.
I guess the extra animation was just far too much work to have a pet crawl through a flap.
I think they look awkward because they look oversized, though that might fit the TS4 theme And pets usually don't run through automatic pet doors.
Old Yesterday, 6:25 PM #5629
grindingteeth
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Quote:
I think they look awkward because they look oversized, though that might fit the TS4 theme And pets usually don't run through automatic pet doors.

Even automatic pet doors don't open like that :/. I know I am being picky, I just crave an ounce of familiarity and believable object design...

Side note: I don't know why, but I suddenly got a feeling in the back of my mind that pets are going to breed in a special bush.
Old Yesterday, 6:42 PM #5630
drake_mccarty
Lab Assistant

1 Achievements

Quote:
I am going to be incredibly 'ungrateful', but strongly dislike those pet doors. They look awkward. No pet door I have ever seen is a miniature barndoor, and very few are not combined with an actual human door. I'd say I hope they have a combo door, but I know they do not.

I guess the extra animation was just far too much work to have a pet crawl through a flap/portal.

Donít feel ungrateful, nobody in their right mind would build a pet sized door into the wall of their home. This is typical Maxis nonsense. Pets assumingly can still walk through regular doors so this is just a redundant use of resources. I wonder if any full size doors are added to even match, because a mini barn door doesnít jive well with any of the games heavily stylized doors or windows.
Old Yesterday, 6:54 PM #5631
Don Babilon
Department of Post-Mortem Communications

8 Achievements

Quote:
Even automatic pet doors don't open like that :/. I know I am being picky, I just crave an ounce of familiarity and believable object design...

Side note: I don't know why, but I suddenly got a feeling in the back of my mind that pets are going to breed in a special bush.
My guess is rather that those doors will function as a woohoo rabbithole. Everything so far points to breeding happening off-screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalar
It's so funny to me how EA thinks simmers actually believe them when they say they spent months discussing the pros and cons of controlling pets. (...)
Oh, I totally believe this, too, because the end results look as if all that time spent on discussions didn't leave them with enough to actually make things.
Old Yesterday, 8:52 PM #5632
hiabara
Field Researcher

https://simsvip.com/2017/10/17/comm...onalities-pets/
Quote:
We didnít want players micro-managing their dogs and cats. That seemed to remove their soul when we experimented with it, but also removed some of the surprise and delight of dog ownership. Instead, we worked to make sure your dogs and cats communicate to your Sims when they need something. Hungry dogs will carry their bowl to their owner when they want food and snooty cats will complain and refuse to use a dirty litter box. [...]

Scary quote of the day regarding the new EP
Quote:
Beyond this, cats and dogs also have quirks. Perhaps your cat is fierce when it comes to something, but absolutely terrified of the TV? Youíll never 100% fully understand your cat and dog, which is why itís worth investing a lifetime of love to discover everything.

But all in all literally no new information whatsoever
Old Yesterday, 9:48 PM #5633
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

"Hungry dogs will carry their bowl to their owner when they want food and snooty cats will complain and refuse to use a dirty litter box. "
At least dog's won't starve to death quickly while chatting up extrovert cat freaks miles away from the still bowl with the multitask in check that will have the cats play "musical litter box" until somebody cleans that darn sand with angry poop on it.

"Beyond this, cats and dogs also have quirks. Perhaps your cat is fierce when it comes to something, but absolutely terrified of the TV? Youíll never 100% fully understand your cat and dog, which is why itís worth investing a lifetime of love to discover everything."
Unless there's an "OMG, DA ROOM, HAPPY AURA TIME" painting that will brighten the cats day despite the haunted box still playing in front of their face. Woopie doo, can't wait!
Old Yesterday, 9:50 PM #5634
ShigemiNotoge
Theorist

1 Achievements

Quote:

But what if our only enjoyment of the game comes exclusively from micromanaging everything and we hate surprises because it ruins all of our hard work?
Old Yesterday, 9:54 PM #5635
SneakyWingPhoenix
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
But what if our only enjoyment of the game comes exclusively from micromanaging everything and we hate surprises because it ruins all of our hard work?

- Don't worry! We left the remaining work for third-party creators to finish off. They sure would have their spare time preoccupied. Also, almost forgot: we also left bugs for you modders to get your hands dirty
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM #5636
grindingteeth
Lab Assistant

5 Achievements

Only thing is, those pet doors aren't a rabbit hole - there's nowhere to 'disappear' into. They function as a regular door, only they're small and open idiotically. Still, you could be right? Any shortcut is possible with Eaxis.

Again, great - Eaxis doesn't want us to know everything about our pets. What if the pet is the 'character' around which we design a household? What if I want to make Garfield? We all know John is secondary in that story. Eaxis doesn't want us to sell our pets because that could mean digital puppy mills, Eaxis doesn't think we should have doghouses, because heaven forbid a dog sleep outside (even though some prefer it). Eaxis only wants us to play a squeaky clean North American, suburban Step-ford town and quite frankly - I am bored of it.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM #5637
matrix54
Original Poster

Mad Poster

9 Achievements

Every time they try to defend their choice they make it worse. Micromanagement is a part of The Sims at its core. Telling a little human when to eat, sleep, poop, make babies, and work. Of course they have AI to do that themselves, and Sims have little quirks (or should) here and there. That is just their escence.

That is not a good excuse in the slightest.

And animals sleeping outside - what a concept! Even Sims can sleep outside, so is that also abuse?

Also, whatís to stop players from making death cults in Get Together? Their excuses are childish, but the sheep will eat it up.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Last edited by matrix54 : Yesterday at 11:46 PM.
Old Today, 2:41 AM #5638
lil bag2
Mad Poster

2 Achievements

Okay well fuck it. Now I'm just not buying this pack put of principal. I thought about getting it when the price drops but now, nope. How do you, as a developer for a Sims game, say with a straight face that you cut a feature because of the micromanaging?

....MICROMANAGING, as in one of the things people do the most in these games!

It's official. We have a team who honestly don't understand why the Sims is so beloved in the first place. I swear, they make it so hard to like this game.

The Receptacle still lives!
Old Today, 3:42 AM #5639
matrix54
Original Poster

Mad Poster

9 Achievements

Imaging what you can do with your new $40!

Oh, you can buy ONE gun reskin from one of any modern shooting game.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Old Today, 4:26 AM #5640
thevogel
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bag2
Okay well fuck it. Now I'm just not buying this pack put of principal. I thought about getting it when the price drops but now, nope. How do you, as a developer for a Sims game, say with a straight face that you cut a feature because of the micromanaging?

....MICROMANAGING, as in one of the things people do the most in these games!

It's official. We have a team who honestly don't understand why the Sims is so beloved in the first place. I swear, they make it so hard to like this game.

Are you fucking kidding me??!!! They actually said that??!! Holy fucking shit balls of fire!! Who the hell are these people? The Sims IS Micromanaging!! Maybe someone from the original Maxis team could take a hour out of their day to explain to these Douche Nozzles what the hell The Sims is, and show them how to play it? maybe? I'll loan them my original Sims game if it helps. I Just can't .........

I'm gonna go play city skylines now and blow something up!!!!!

Section jump: