1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old Yesterday at 1:54 PM Last edited by moonlight__ : Yesterday at 7:54 PM.
Default A little callout on Sims 4 community
This topic might come across as mean but I want to rant a little. I've been constantly seeing this 'issue' in the simming community (mostly on Reddit) and it's that Sims 4 players are dissatisfied with the game, primarily for being very vapid and easy and for not having much freedom for customization like other games. They praise older games for being more interesting but refuse to switch to older sims games because of their age (they have excuses like the graphics being outdated and not having the Gallery but let's be real). Their excuse is also that older games don't have as good and as modern mods as Sims 4 does. If a game needs to have a ton of mods that significantly alter the original intended gameplay in order to be interesting then how good of a game was in the first place? As someone who switched between all games I don't understand this mentality. Play what you enjoy the most. I enjoyed Sims 4 CAS with CC and NoCC building but everything else was boring an intended for children. I feel like these people who play Sims 4 at costs just have FOMO and probably the same ones who buy new packs for years and then complain for being cash grabs. Then boycott EA if they're a lousy company. I also feel like a part of them have only played Sims 4 in their life (especially younger Gen Z) and think that switching to an older game is a downgrade.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old Yesterday at 3:58 PM
Every time I watch Sims 2 or 3 content online, I always come across people commenting that they miss those games, that they wish ts4 was more like 2 and 3, that they would love to see a re-release of the two games so that they can play them again.

And I'm sitting here thinking: you can still play those games. Stop complaining.

I mean, I might be biased. I played TS3 on release for 1 week and went back to TS2 without looking back just because I decided TS2 was a better game for me. I played TS4 for 1 day on release and went back to TS2, and never looked back.
Scholar
#3 Old Yesterday at 4:54 PM
A younger friend of mine, for whom The Sims was already on 4 by the time she was a teen, said she greatly preferred 2 over 4 the last time she played them. Sadly, she's on Mac and not having the last two EPs because of using the Mac Super Collection (or jumping through hoops to set up dual boot or virtualization or whatever) was a deal-breaker.

As for me, I'm quickly preferring rotational over single-family legacy + story progression. The former being what TS2 does better, and the latter being what TS3 does better.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Mad Poster
#4 Old Yesterday at 5:23 PM
To me ea went in the wrong direction with both 3 and 4, Sims 2 is still the best game to date even though its 20 years old.
There is some things in Sims 3 and Sims 4 that are good but the over all experience is disappointing.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#5 Old Yesterday at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
They praise older games for being more interesting but refuse to switch to older sims games because of their age (they have excuses like the graphics being outdated and not having the Gallery but let's be real). Their excuse is also that older games don't have as good and as modern mods as Sims 4 does. If a game needs to have a ton of mods that significantly alter the original intended gameplay in order to be interesting then how good of a game was in the first place?

Because Sims 2 definitely doesn't have a ton of mods that alter gameplay. XD
Lab Assistant
#6 Old Yesterday at 6:10 PM
I played Sims 3 exactly once and then gave up, never even tried 4. Sims 2 (especially with mods) had everything I was looking for so why switch? It matches my preferred playstyle and that's enough for me.
Scholar
#7 Old Yesterday at 6:31 PM
I play Sims 2 on the Mac and I don't miss not having those 2 EPs. Maybe it's not missing what you never had, but I do watch YT Let's Plays that have all the EPs, and I don't feel like I'm missing all that much. The only limitation I find sometimes is in not being able to download certain mods or custom hoods I would like to play. But the game is still loads of fun, I can use all of the older (and imo, best) mods, and I play the game everyday. It's not that expensive to get on the Mac--certainly worth trying it out.
Field Researcher
#8 Old Yesterday at 7:04 PM
Older games tend to be better. Just because TS4 is relatively "new" doesn't mean it's superior to TS2. I personally played TS4 for a while and immediately quit the game because it was sooo boring. Sure, TS4 may be more "modern" but for me, this corporate UI they've made bores me to death. However, if you like it, you can even download Clean UI! You can even make your own UI if you have time!
Another thing is the EP/SP amount. Just look at HOW MANY add-ons TS4 has! With TS2, EP's and SP's come with their bugs and glitches, but at least they add gameplay which is interesting. Apartment Life added tons of new features and thousands of little details. TS4? Well, you need at least 3 add-ons if you want to play TS4's Apartment Life.
TS2 has so many opportunities for customization. Everyone's game is unique. You can create custom neighbourhoods, detailed Sims (With actual personality and chemistry, which is complex and has one-of-a-kind features for each aspiration and personality), custom lots (You can even put them in the Lots & Houses Bin to reuse them later) and let's not forget everyone can make CC. EAxis had made whole little programs (BodyShop and later HomeCrafter Plus) in order to enable you to create stuff. As for TS4, there is no official software to create CC yet, no way to create custom neighbourhoods and lots are limited (While in TS2 you can add as many as you want), and in order to enjoy playing the game, you should buy all the add-ons, including Kits or something like that.
What I'm saying is, TS4 had LOTS of potential, but in the end it all boils down to the company creating the game. If EA doesn't listen to its community, then how are they waiting to make money?
I also agree with your perspective on players still buying packs even if they know they're going to be boring and buggy. I lost hope on TS4 long ago, and the only add on I have is the "My First Pet Stuff" which was free for a while. Played it for some time and exited the game and went to play TS2 again. If EA can manage to save this game, turn around and create something fun and interesting to play, then perhaps I'll try giving them another chance. For now, I just don't think they're doing the right thing. The reason why they continue making effortless add ons is just to keep the community hoping. They know that we're going to buy it either way, so why bother making something we want?
This is my opinion on TS4. Maybe sometime they'll try listening to their fanbase, but I don't think so...

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Mad Poster
#9 Old Yesterday at 7:10 PM
Honestly?
I've had "TS4 weeks" where I play TS4 for a week, then not again for several months. I keep doing the same things in the game, and it's honestly quite boring I only have the first 2 EPs - I've had "cravings" for more, but those tend to fade away after seeing some gameplay videos. It's mostly the same things over again, overpriced packs with little actual gameplay content that gets boring after a short time. There's CC/mods I'd like to try, but every update breaks stuff, and I've given up trying to keep up, so I've played mostly CC-free except for a few fixes that makes the game more bearable. Haven't played in almost 2 years now, mostly because I don't want to deal with the EA app... It's fine for what it is, as a "side quest", but it hasn't won me over as a replacement, and won't be able to do so.

Even if the core gameplay is similar, TS4 is a very different game than TS2. The main focus is on entirely different things, and the whole game is less of a struggle, so if you want proper challenges you need to either make up challenges or add a bunch of annoyances to the game (lot challenges). Aspirations are more like side quests and mini tutorials. Collecting things isn't that much of a challenge, either (more a game of chance, and you end up with too much stuff).

I've had some long "breaks" from TS2 too, but mostly because of some computer troubles (played TS4 mainly because of the abstinences at the time), but TS2 is the game I keep coming back to, even with some longer breaks between actually going ingame (I still download and make TS2 CC, write stories, or do other TS2-related things during those "breaks", just so that's said). TS2 is modded the way I like it, I know the game up/down/sideways/upside-down/front-to-back, I like how it looks, and all my favorite sims are there. TS2 has aged, and it does lack some things I would've loved to have from the other games, but it's things I've managed without for several years. It's also got the playstyle I prefer (I loathe story progression with a passion, and other houses should be at a standstill when I play a family).
Instructor
#10 Old Yesterday at 7:25 PM
I've never understood peoples desire to follow their sims to work, i totally love how they just go in 2 and then come back. I also hate all the quests that you have to do in 3 and 4 its the same boring crap each time.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old Yesterday at 8:11 PM Last edited by moonlight__ : Today at 1:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
Every time I watch Sims 2 or 3 content online, I always come across people commenting that they miss those games, that they wish ts4 was more like 2 and 3, that they would love to see a re-release of the two games so that they can play them again.

And I'm sitting here thinking: you can still play those games. Stop complaining.

I mean, I might be biased. I played TS3 on release for 1 week and went back to TS2 without looking back just because I decided TS2 was a better game for me. I played TS4 for 1 day on release and went back to TS2, and never looked back.

Exactly. This is the part where I named their excuses. I posed a very detailed build and many were saying how Sims 2 looks amazing and much more crisp then Sims 4 yada yada yada BUT they don't want to play it because the lighting physics aren't perfect. Yes, a 20 year old game doesn't have perfect lightning physics, but at least it wasn't outdated when it came out unlike the game you're paying for . I actually prefer lighting in Sims 2 over other games because it's bright but not too vibrant. I get annoyed by some things in Sims 2 all the time but the good outweigh the bad. They would rather whine for the open world and wish for some non existent game then try the older games. My friends who never played Sims in their life and want to start also with Sims 4 because it's trendy and shiny are taken back when I tell them to try an older game.

I played Sims 4 for a week and it's very boring. I was shocked when I found out that Sims don't react to cheating. What in the cuckery...
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old Yesterday at 8:23 PM Last edited by moonlight__ : Today at 1:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
To me ea went in the wrong direction with both 3 and 4, Sims 2 is still the best game to date even though its 20 years old.
There is some things in Sims 3 and Sims 4 that are good but the over all experience is disappointing.

I played Sims 3 for 4 years and I personally think it was a really good game but the big downside is how laggy it is for the majority of players. They also sacrificed many essential animations like car animations and almost empty community lots for a more smooth game. The open world would only work on small villages and cities should've been sectioned like Sims 4 does it. I actually made a custom densely populated small New England style town and it was adorable until I lost everything.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old Yesterday at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
I've never understood peoples desire to follow their sims to work, i totally love how they just go in 2 and then come back. I also hate all the quests that you have to do in 3 and 4 its the same boring crap each time.

I actually wanted this really bad but in elementary school lmao. Actually I mostly wanted to see what were my sims doing in school. Now it sounds like a hassle. With Open For Business I wanted for my chef couple to open a restaurant and now I'm like 'Nah, I wouldn't have the energy for their storylines'.
Instructor
#14 Old Yesterday at 11:15 PM
I'm one of the few who genuinely enjoys all four games- they're different enough that I just play them slightly differently, to scratch different itches, and I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

But I do relate to this in that this sentiment disillusioned me to watching EA Game Changers, or whatever they're called now, on YouTube- because even the ones I liked are constantly putting out one-off videos about how much better TS2 and TS3 are and then proceed to not ever play those games on their channel. It becomes very condescending when I love, play, and make content for TS3 and then have videos in my feed about "X TS3 EXPANSION WAS BETTER THAN SIMS 4" from a creator who will never compromise the views and money they get for making 90% TS4 content.

Not a lot of dignity in refusing to back the version of the game one is basing their entire career around, while using the 'better' titles for nostalgia bait. Nothing less interesting to me than content that is just gushing over features of the old games like they went extinct and can only be admired in a museum now

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old Today at 12:21 AM
This is wild to me. I've been away from simming for a long while with computer woes. When I was last around, there was a sharp divide between sims 4 players and the older games. It was like they weren't even aware 2 existed and 3 was just the predecessor to their new hobby. Now I go on youtube for pleasantview stuff and I find these videos from Sims 4 streamers doing one-off let's plays from 2 and raving about how detailed the animations are (soooo many of these right in the video titles. seriously, are ts4 animations that bad?) and how awesome the gameplay is.

Then I go on reddit and see dissatisfied Sims 4 players talking about how cool 2 looks and how they wish they could try it out. Most of them just seem to have no idea how to get the game and its expansions. And if they do, they don't know how to make it run. Time and again, I've seen interested players lose interest because none of their contemporaries know which direction to point them. When I redownloaded and installed and got 2 up and going last month, I downloaded graphics rules maker while the game installed because I knew I'd need and I knew where to get it. They don't know this stuff. They don't know about hood checker, HDCU, or anything else and all they've ever been told is that Sims 2 is a buggy mess held together with spit and glue. Nevermind that we know a lot more now than we did 20 years ago. They don't know all of this. So they steer clear because they're unsure of what to do and how to do it. It's just sad.
Mad Poster
#16 Old Today at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly

I only have experience with the TS4 GTW careers + the vet career, and while they have potential, they get boring before you get to the interesting part (there are only so many times I can deal with mopping floors, washing hands, change objects into other objects, collect items that haven't had the chance to grow et because I've already had to pick it three times, and so forth). It takes a while for the work quests to become somewhat interesting, and they are extremely repetitive (If I remember correctly, they used to be in TS3, too). If the tasks had been a bit more thought through, less repetitive, and of the kind where you could use your head a bit more, then they'd be a bit more interesting.

TS3 had the firefighter and ghost hunting ones (plus one more??), which essentially were the same jobs (over and over again deal with 5 fires/ghosts/whatever, save person/do X, done)
Forum Resident
#17 Old Today at 1:56 AM
I am still a TS3 player occasionally (though I play TS2 more) because there are features that TS3 does well (skills and CASt are awesome) and as a whole it's a good game. I've been intermittently been playing a Nothing is Free challenge (like BACC, but designed for TS3 and really well done) with a personal rule that I can only ever control one household (currently 16 members...) and everyone else lives by Story Progression, and it's a game that's suited to TS3 (with a focus on skills and earning money by various means and less on relationship drama - or at least less relationship drama controlled/ initiated by me). Back when TS3 was the latest game, I was one of the players who were working out how to play TS3 "Sims 2 Style" (i.e. rotationally), and it used to really annoy me when someone would drop into a thread where a group of us were carefully advising a newbie to say "if you want to play rotations just go and play sims 2" - because there are a lot more differences between the two games than rotations vs single family playstyle, and we wanted to play TS3 with rotations. So I guess all that is just saying that I suppose I empathise to some extend with some of the complainers.

I have actually never played TS4. I was put off initially by the lack of swimming pools and toddlers, and every couple of years or so I see something about it and wonder if I should try, but there's always something that's put me off the idea. So I don't personally see the attraction of TS4. I also think that "not enough modern mods" is ridiculous, when there are plenty of new mods being made today (and there are so many already available for all sorts of things). It's probably partly, as @kerri191 says, that TS4 players don't know where to get TS2, or what to download to get going with modding.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old Today at 2:19 AM Last edited by kerri191 : Today at 2:24 AM. Reason: fixed a typo!
I've always said that my game would be complete if I could have CASt in Sims 2. I love nothing more than customizing my sim's homes to exactly suit their tastes! I'm agonizingly specific and exacting about patterns and matching up this piece of furniture with that piece and needing to have a specific wall with a specific color moulding. It's why I came to CC and eventually started learning to make it in the first place. While I do have and like TS3 for this, and other, features, I still come back to 2 for other reasons. Most of them unrelated to gameplay.

Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
I also think that "not enough modern mods" is ridiculous, when there are plenty of new mods being made today (and there are so many already available for all sorts of things). It's probably partly, as @kerri191 says, that TS4 players don't know where to get TS2, or what to download to get going with modding.

As for this, it seems like everyday I see a post on reddit asking where they can get mods for 2 or if there is still anywhere to get mods for the game. I only just finishing talking to a new player about the wealth of CC available and where to get it. Yes, my first instinct is usually to ask "google much?" But that's not helpful and it does nothing in the long run. I just usually direct them to my favorite sites and reassure them that no, the game is not dead. And that there is still a very active community if they're willing to put in the work to find it.
Mad Poster
#19 Old Today at 3:26 AM
I think that people who say "there are no newer mods" for TS2 completely forget that pretty much everything after 2010-ish is updated for the latest packs and can still be used. That's 14+ years of content that hasn't had the misfortune of being outdated because of new EPs/updates/etc. Even most older CC still works (except for a few items that need EPs + outdated/old mods).

Quality can perhaps be a bit so-and-so depending on where you get it, but then again, that even goes for newer CC.

The past few years we've even seen a creative boom with new mods/programs/etc.
Forum Resident
#20 Old Today at 3:28 AM
Sims 4 gameplay feels like a series of mini-games, not like I'm playing a life simulation for fully-realized characters.
Theorist
#21 Old Today at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kerri191
I've always said that my game would be complete if I could have CASt in Sims 2.
For me, it's having the CAS customizations like the newer games. More than 2 body shapes, actually – and that's it. Just the body shapes. I have all the clothes I need, I have custom skintones that fill in the gap between the 4 default ones, but I really need my Sims to look somewhat different from "00s figure" (thin/fit) and "00s hilarious omgwtflmao he got a beer gut" (fat men)/"normal??? casual??? not fat???" (fat women).
Lab Assistant
#22 Old Today at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
For me, it's having the CAS customizations like the newer games.

That was definitely one thing that really intrigued me about Sims 4. It was something I had always thought I wanted in a sims game. But then when I finally played the game, I realized that except for height, I didn't care about that stuff at all. After thinking about it, I realized that even in sims 2 and 3, I was always more concerned with my sims' homes and their clothes. I especially love in 2 that I can go shopping for their clothes. That was something I was really disappointed wasn't in 3 even after all the expansions released. I really enjoy taking them shopping for new stuff.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Mad Poster
#23 Old Today at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
TS3 had the firefighter and ghost hunting ones (plus one more??), which essentially were the same jobs (over and over again deal with 5 fires/ghosts/whatever, save person/do X, done)

I tried the firefighter one and got sent to someone's house to manage rampaging lawn gnomes lol.