Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 3:43 PM
Mine also does the same as bcooksey and the last version I had worked great . but this 1.35 error as soon as it starts browsing downloads
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 3:44 PM
the program works for me but when i went to update, it didnt find any new version.. and its been a week since i downloaded it.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#103 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 3:45 PM
I don't want to be a nuisance, but is there an instruction manual that comes with this? Or maybe a thread you can point me to? I really want to get this to work for me. Actually, it works and I associated it with my Downloads directory (where no .sims2pack files are stored), but I'm not sure what to do next. I am currently using the 1.3 version.

My question is: Do I associate it with my .sims2pack files (I store them in folders outside of EA Games) and open an individual one and uncheck what I don't want to install? I noticed that when I associated (pointed) it with my Downloads directory, I saw some hacks that I know I didn't install myself, like the "ride the lightning pc" and a couple others. I know I got it from some houses that I download (since I only download furnished ones). Thanks so much in advance. I hope Phervers or anyone else is writing up a tutorial. This is really such a wonderful tool to have! I can't wait until I can safely remove families without having to kill them.

[ Edited 01-12-2004 03:50PM ]

DDO
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#104 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 3:47 PM
One other question: Since I first associated it with my Downloads directory and found hacks in there that I do not want, how can I safely remove those? I notice everything is checked as default and the hacks are highlighted in green, but I don't know what that means. Do I just have to notate the file name and manually delete?

DDO
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#105 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 6:38 PM
I'm working on a manual for this tool, it should answer all your questions. As to the bug report, i couldnt find the bug myself, and i have no other reports. So i cant do anything with this now sorry
Instructor
#106 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
I don't want to be a nuisance, but is there an instruction manual that comes with this? Or maybe a thread you can point me to? I really want to get this to work for me. Actually, it works and I associated it with my Downloads directory (where no .sims2pack files are stored), but I'm not sure what to do next. I am currently using the 1.3 version.

Hmm, when I installed it I think it put a shortcut to run the program on my desktop. Either that or I just dragged it to my desktop and right clicked then chose create shortcut here. I honestly can't recall which.

But anyway you can run the program itself without opening an associated file and then browse a directory.

Be warned, if you have a lot of downloads like I do it can take a long time to load them all and they can be difficult to sift though since many will not be identified.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#107 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 7:37 PM
It created a shortcut for me, too, on my desktop and I clicked on it and browsed a directory. I selected my Downloads directory and it brought everything in. It was at that point I didn't know what to do. Was I not supposed to go that directory but a directory that has uninstalled .sims2pack files? I have a bunch of lots that I haven't installed but I want to clean them up before I install them (like delete the family and remove unwanted hacks).

DDO
Instructor
#108 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 7:43 PM
Well in that case yes if you want to check out sims2pack files before you install them you'd want to browse their file and locate it in the directory it currently is in. If you associate the simspack format with this program you can also just double click on the file itself.
#109 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 6:48 AM
Okay..so humor me, please. I'm not particularly computer savvy, as I'm about to embarassingly reveal. As of right now, can I or can I not use the Sims2Pack Clean Installer v1.3.5 to check packages that have already been installed, played, and modified? I don't think that's an available option yet, but an earlier post confused me a little. I just want to make sure.I've screwed around w/ the Sims2Pack Clean Installer v1.3.5 for quite a while now as well as reading everything on it's official site and I'm pretty sure we can't do that yet...right? If I'm wrong, I'll be so mad at myself later, so I figure I'd better ask. By the way, this is the coolest thing ever, thanks so much for doing this!! I finally feel like I'm doing something productive and getting closer to solving the problem w/ my game crashing constantly. Thanks and have a great day! %-6
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:12 AM
The problem I'm having is when I try to check the downloads folder with version 1.3.5. I get an exception occurred message with cannot open closed file. The other options work fine. I can check any new houses I download, so I'm happy there. I can live with the other.

My wife says I'm All-Knowing...or maybe she's saying annoying. I'm not sure which.
Test Subject
#111 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:35 AM
I have the same problem as Cdpierson5. I get the same exception error when trying to check the downloads folder. So I tried using v1.3 and had no problems checking the folder, however I did have a strange other problem. Using v1.3 I had several hacks show up as being in the folder, but when I tried to delete them I got an exception error that the item was not tied to an object. Upon further investigating, I noticed that my Downloads folder had 59 packages with a size of 96 bytes. When I opened one of these with SimPE there wasn't anything in it. One of these packages I noticed had the CRC name of the Alienware Computer.

I was able to figure out where these files were comming from. When you install a package with Sims2Pack Clean Installer, even though you deselect the obvious hacks which are in it, they are still referenced in the .import file. Consequently those references are causing those 96 byte package files to be created in the downloads folder. I also found out that those packages are what is causing the exception error with v1.35. When I deleted them v1.35 worked like a charm. I also think that with the imoprt file referencing items which are not chosin to be installed is the reason some downloaded houses and lots do not show up in the game.

IYAOYAS
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:47 AM
Hi everyone!
First of all I want to thank phervers for what might solve one of the biggest problems with this game. Thank you phervers!

It's my first time as a beta tester, but I had to try this.

I tried the program but I'm getting the same problem as bcooksey and Cdpierson5, error message "could not open localpackages.txt" (it looks for it in the same directory where I installed the program, but there's no such file) and if I click to go ahead ignoring the error I get the Net Frames error "An unhandled exception has occurred...." just as posted by bcooksey.

25or6to4 mentioned Virtual Basic 6 Run-time files.
I just installed Net Framework and I have to admit I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Net Framework and Virtual Basic 6, so, could this be the problem?
Not having the VB run-times installed?

Hope you or someone else can find a solution to this problem as well.

Thank you again, c00kies
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#113 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 9:00 AM
Please make sure you have latest version. If you are not sure go to sims2pack.modthesims2.com and download the version which is there. If the problem still remains, then contact me, but i'm pretty sure that bugs with localpackages and file closed are fixed.

gunny thanks for that info, i'll check this out.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 9:39 AM
I downloaded v1.3.5.2 and ran the program. Selected the downloads directory and it started to list hundreds of files. Then there was an error message.

Quote:
An unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately.

Cannot access a closed file.

Details

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a closed file.
   at System.IO.__Error.FileNotOpen()
   at System.IO.FileStream.Seek(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin)
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2CPackage.Complete(Stream stream, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2CPackage..ctor(Stream stream, Int32 offset, Int32 nSize, String nFileName)
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2CIPackageDirectory.LoadFilesFromPath(String path, Boolean enabled)
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2CIPackageDirectory.ReloadFiles()
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2CIPackageDirectory..ctor(String enabledPath, String disabledPath, ListView list)
   at Sims2Pack_Installer.WinFormMain.comboBoxDir_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sims2Pack Clean Installer
    Assembly Version: 1.3.5.2
    Win32 Version: 1.3.5.2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program/Maxis/Sims2Pack%20Clean%20Installer/Sims2Pack%20Clean%20Installer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
DatGen.DBPF
    Assembly Version: 0.1.0.38542
    Win32 Version: 0.1.0.38542
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program/Maxis/Sims2Pack%20Clean%20Installer/DatGen.DBPF.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

I clicked continue and the program ignored the error but I could only remove the packs from the download directory, not do or see anything else.

MATY is the most childish and the most hostile site I've ever come in contact with.
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 11:03 AM
Same thing here.
I did have the 1.3.5.0 but I had also checked for the update (told me there were none).
Anyhow, I took off the old version, edited the registry and installed the 1.3.5.2 but had the same thing as Stimy happen.
While loading the files from the download folder the error message pops up.
By the way, the other error message is gone, the one about the localpackages.txt.

Edit: Could it be one of the files causing the problem? I'll try taking some of the downloads out and try running the program with a batch of files at a time.
I'll let you know what happens.

Re-edit: Sure enough it was!! Actually 2 files. Took them out and now it works just fine. 8)
Both files were 1kb in size, so, to whomever the program gives that error message: just check your download folder for any file that is 1kb and take them out.
I feel much better now and I bet you do too phervers (don't you?)!

[ Edited 02-12-2004 11:46AM ]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#116 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 6:02 PM
hmm, thats interesting, if anyone can find a file that's causing a problem plz send it to me [email protected]

Here's good news for ccc ( custom content creators :P), now you can repackage Sims2Pack files, get the latest version froms sims2pack.modthesims2.com and read manual.
Test Subject
#117 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:16 PM
cookies is right I just had a problem with the new 1.4 version I had about four 1 k files when I deleated them it worked great thank you so much cookie
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:37 PM
It doesn't work for me! I realized it might be the 1kb files last night. But, even with nothing in my Downloads folder, I still get the error. However, if I move everything but the 1kb files to a new folder, I get no error. (Unless I try and browse the folder with all the 1kb files) And also, if there are no 1kb files in the Downloads folder, the error takes longer to show up. But, with them, its almost instant.

Is there anything about the program that always associates that folder to the files? Thats all I can thing of... So, when they aren't in the downloads folder, they work fine.. Every folder, but my download folder works perfectly.
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 7:51 PM
I just downloaded version 1.4.0.2. Checking the downloads folder caused the same unhandled exception error as before. I found nine 1kb folders in my downloads and deleted them. That seems to correct the problem. Everything is working fine now *crosses fingers AND toes*.

My wife says I'm All-Knowing...or maybe she's saying annoying. I'm not sure which.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#120 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 8:13 PM
I just wanted to know that I read through the manual for S2PCI and now I understand how to use it. I'm more of a visual person so seeing the screen shots helped immensely. Thank you for the documentation. I currently have the 1.3 version installed.

I hope Phervers can fix the problem with the 1K files because I really want to use the new version so I can repackage my lots and keep them hack free.

DDO
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#121 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 8:18 PM
DigiBlue send me those files that are causing problems
my email is [email protected]
Field Researcher
#122 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 8:35 PM
Does the installer read subfolders? I have a 'hacks' folder inside my downloads folder. When I browse the downloads folder will it read the files inside the hacks folder also or just the downloads folder? Thanks
[ Edited 02-12-2004 08:36PM ]

'Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes....at least then he'll be a mile away and barefoot'
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 9:21 PM
@ phervers
I sent you my two files so you can try and check what the error is.

@Braveheart
the program doesn't seem to read subfolders. You'll have to manually select each one and scan them.
Unless things changed with the new 1.4.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Field Researcher
#124 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies

My question is: Do I associate it with my .sims2pack files (I store them in folders outside of EA Games) and open an individual one and uncheck what I don't want to install?

Folder association is not reliable. Go to a sim2pacj or a sim2skin that you want to install and RICHT CLICK on the file. This will provide a menu of options and you want to choose OPEN WITH (not OPEN) but open with. Windows will then provide a menu with the Sim2InStaller (maxis version), possibily some other programs and a CHOOSE PROGRAM option. Click CHOOSE OPTION.

Yop will get a pop up box that lists some programs that Windows determines are either associated with that extension or thinks it might be (again you will probably fins the Maxi installer listed there). There is a check box option that says "ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED PROGRAM TO OPEN THIS KIND OF FILE". Checking that box before browsing to locate the SIm2 Clean Installer will assure that all these kinds of files will nor be associated with this installer. Then use the BROWSE option - and locate the .exe for the Sim3CleanInstaller in the directory that you extracted it too.

Once you have done that for the Sim2pack you will need to do teh same for the sim2skin extesion if you want the Clean Installer to handle the skins too. I use it for both because I am paraniod and assume sooner or later someone will find a way to attach a hack toa skin %-6

Anyway, this will associate the sims extensions to teh Clean Installer and remove their associate to the one Maxis provides. If you want to stop using the Clean Installer for some reason - then just do the same thing but locate the installer in Program Files/EAGames and associate your files back to the original installer.

Come visit www.variousimmers.net where my original objects and recolors now reside. The site hosts many other creators, moddres and developers.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#125 Old 2nd Dec 2004 at 10:18 PM
Rentechd: I read the manual provided on the official Sims2Pack site and I understand how to use it now. I do know about associating files. When I associated it with my Downloads folder, I meant, I browsed to it and S2PCI immediately took a look at all the files in that folder and associated it with them. I didn't have to right-click and open with.

DDO
Locked thread
Page 5 of 54