Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 10:03 PM
Default HOW TO: Batch-convert recolours to EP-ready format
These may be not breaking news , but some users have asked me how to convert to EP-ready format the recolours in their download folder, and I couldn't find a tutorial on this subject.

First of all, a most important warning:

YOU CAN USE THIS PROCEDURE ONLY TO FIX RECOLOURS, NOT OBJECTS, HACKED OBJECTS, SKINS, WALLPAPERS OR ANYTHING ELSE! ONLY RECOLOURS!

OK, now let's begin.
Open SimPE (*always* get the latest version at http://sims.ambertation.de), and select the Plugins/Scan folders menu.

In the window that opens up, in the lower-left corner, set the scan options as shown in this picture:

Hit "SCAN" and wait. If you have a huge download folder be prepared to wait quite a long time.

When the scanning is over, in the upper part of the window will appear a list of all the files contained in your download folder.
Sort the list by clicking on the "Type" column, and then on the "Ready?" column.
Now you have to select all the files that:
1) in the "Type" column are reported to be "Recolor" and
2) in the "Ready" column are reported as "Not EP-ready" or "Undetermined"

If in the "Type" column you see "Object" or "Maxis Object" or anything else than "Recolor", don't select it!!!

When you have selected all the lines (you can select multiple lines using shift-click and ctrl-click), select the "Operations" tab in the lower part of the window; scroll down until you find the University-ready section; fill in the "Name Prefix" field with your name and lastly click "Make University-Ready".

Wait again
When finished, you can close SimPE and start your game.

Remember that not all the recolours can be fixed. If you find in your lot many flashing blue objects, you have to recolour them using the Design Tool. If some recolours still flash blue after you have used the Design Tool, this means that those recolours can't be fixed, and you can safely delete them from the download folder.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 3:41 AM
I've been looking around the forums trying to find the right place to ask this question. So, if this wasn't the right thread, my apologies.

My question is if I don't have University and am using the current SimPE then will my objects work in someone's game that has University? Or do I have to make my objects University ready myself?

Thanks,
Jo
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jomammatee
My question is if I don't have University and am using the current SimPE then will my objects work in someone's game that has University? Or do I have to make my objects University ready myself?

Thanks,
Jo

If you have the current SimPE, it doesn't mean that your recolors were made with that version of SimPE. So it's best to convert them all... It just means they are EP-compatible. So it'll work with or without University (and supposedly all other EPs after that).

DDO
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 4:15 AM
Thanks, Daysies. Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand yet. Are you saying that I DO have to convert them all? Uck, it's probably not hard to do it but it would be another added step in the process and I don't know how to do that yet.

Thanks,
Jo
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 8:41 AM
Quote:
If in the "Type" column you see "Object" or "Maxis Object" or anything else than "Recolor", don't select it!!!

ah .. i goofed , the kids distracted me and i accidently made two maxis objects ready for ep .... do i have to reinstall ? is there anything i can do to fix it without reinstalling , or will everything be ok ?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 9:20 AM
If the Maxis objects are in the Downloads, then they are add-on files that you have downloaded from the Exchange (or installed along with a lot).

Just connect to the Exchange and redownload all the objects you like (remember to delete the older "converted" copies from the Downloads!).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

#7 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 9:25 AM
ok thanks , i cant remember ever downloading from the exchange but i'll have a look , ive kept all my downloaded stuff in the original zips etc so it's probably in there then, thanks very much !!
Part-time Hermit
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jomammatee
Thanks, Daysies. Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand yet. Are you saying that I DO have to convert them all? Uck, it's probably not hard to do it but it would be another added step in the process and I don't know how to do that yet.

Thanks,
Jo

If you made the recolors with your recent version of SimPE they should work with University just fine, whether you have the expansion or not. Then if you have objects you made with SimPE v. 0.14 or earlier, you'll probably have to fix them. Another option is just to remake them with a newer version of SimPE.
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 5:59 AM
yes, and make sure you DO NOT "fix" walls or floors with this tool! I did that and all of my custom walls/floors disappeared in-game! (Lesson Learned #1: BACK UP YOUR FILES!)

-A.S.
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 12:12 PM
Thanks for this tutorial.

But currently I'm in the rather painstaking process of converting all my recolours to Nightlife one by one... Good thing I had the .png files saved for such a situation. Still... it's rather back-breaking work. :puppy:

Is there a similar process like you've outlined above for University, or is it unnecessary?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 12:27 PM
It's unnecessary.

The problem raised up when the University was released, because it was *the first* EP ever released. The conversion Base-Game -> University was needed back then, but in the meantime we all have changed the way the objects are created / recoloured, and therefore all the objects and recolours created since the University was released are already compatible with the Nightlife and (hopefully) with all the future EPs.

In any case, bear in mind this important rule: if an object or a recolour *works* in the game (no flashing blue textures and such), there is no need to convert it in any way.

Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 3:47 PM
Thanks a bunch!

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a one-liner... but this makes it a two-liner!