Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2013 at 8:14 AM Last edited by acesrhigh : 13th Aug 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Default Skintone over plantsim overlay?
Is this possible? I'd like to add a seperate plantsim overlay for male/females using the default skintone I'm using. I know I can just take the overlay off, but I'd like to keep the leaves as they're "part of it's body" but still have the shading/detail provided by skintones on the body.

Thanks

Edit: This pic is basically what I'm looking to do. Notice that she actually has a belly button, proper shading, and muscle definition, among other things, in the final pic. Bad shop job, but it gets the point across.

Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 3:13 AM
I took a shot at making a clone of the original accessory and adding the skintone over it with mixed results.

It seems like it's either too dark or too light. Could use advice if anyone knows how to do this the correct way.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 6:54 AM
Are you doing this as an accessory, like stockings? Or as a non-default skintone? If you use a non-default skintone you could make it as a semi-transparent overlay only, with the default skin texture underneath.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Are you doing this as an accessory, like stockings? Or as a non-default skintone? If you use a non-default skintone you could make it as a semi-transparent overlay only, with the default skin texture underneath.

I'm using the accessory "birthmark" type that the plantsim overlay is normally. The second one I posted I have as a separate package. I just can't get the coloring right, or it would be perfect. The shadow "doubles down" on certain parts because I'm really just placing the shadowing right onto the leaves DDS.

As it stands, i can still change the colors on the 3 parts of the accessory, which is why I wanted to keep it as the accessory.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 4:48 AM
If the accessory has a bumpmap you might look at putting the shadows there instead of or in addition to on the texture.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 5:41 AM
If the accessory has a bumpmap you might look at putting the shadows there instead of or in addition to on the texture.

Thanks Cmar, I appreciate the advice. I'll try doing that and seeing how it turns out. I never messed with the files aside from yesterday, but I can't stand seeing the plantsim in this house of females being the only one with a flat gumby-like body because of the plantsim leaves. :P
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 8:49 PM
Ideally all the contouring would be in the bumpmap and only the darker-color leaves would be in the main overlay texture, and maybe semi-transparent. It should be possible to do something that has a nice effect, depending on how the birthmark accessory is constructed. I'll take a look and get back to you later!

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 3:14 PM
Forget the bumpmap - there isn't one for this accessory since it uses the nude mesh. Also I was thinking in terms of letting the skintone show through while I believe you're adding the skin details to the vines accessory.

I tried taking the vines multiplier, copying the image, pasting it into the alpha layer, inverting it, darkening it, and increasing contrast so that the lighter parts of the vine leaves are almost transparent. Don't know if this is the effect you're going for but here's what how it turned out.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:38 PM
Forget the bumpmap - there isn't one for this accessory since it uses the nude mesh. Also I was thinking in terms of letting the skintone show through while I believe you're adding the skin details to the vines accessory.

I tried taking the vines multiplier, copying the image, pasting it into the alpha layer, inverting it, darkening it, and increasing contrast so that the lighter parts of the vine leaves are almost transparent. Don't know if this is the effect you're going for but here's what how it turned out.

Thanks a million! That seems to be about the closest I can get without overdoing it. It will have to do, at least she will have a belly button. :P