Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2011 at 7:02 PM
Default How to make custom hair with blender or milkshape
Hi im new to creating custom content yes I am aware that it may take weeks or months to make custom hair but I need at least some kind of tut to start me off the ones on TSR and MTS do not help. Because they aren't for BEGINNERS nor do they have enough information containing how to make new hair styles. Is there some website that I can go to to read up on hair meshing because I really want to start making hairs for my sims. IDC if its a time consuming process I really want to learn. Thank you in advance
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 10:12 AM
Unfortunately I don't know of any hair meshing tutorials for beginners (hopefully maybe someone else will come along who knows of one, but I have my doubts that there are any) but I did learn to do hair meshing from HystericalParoxysm's tutorial here although it was not aimed at beginners. I had never meshed anything before at all, so it was hard trying to understand the tutorial and what everything meant, but I did eventually figure it out by a lot of trial & error and experimenting. Do give it a try, and be prepared for a few failures at first, but you will learn from your mistakes and things will start to fall into place little by little. http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...s_3_Hair_Basics . And of course if you get stuck, you can always come back to this forum to ask advice.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 11:22 AM
You really shouldn't start from making hairs, because making a good hair mesh requires more advance meshing techniques. If you want to learn how to make them, then you should start from some Milkshape (or Blender) meshing tutorial for beginners (there are plenty of them, google it).
I would recommend Milshape first, because it's simpler and has less functions than Blender. Once you get the main idea on how create faces and edit them, then use a tutorial which was linked by EsmeraldaF before.
There aren't any easier tutorial than that one, at least I didn't found any.
Anyway, I would suggest that you start from a hair recolor or simple object mesh.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 2:55 PM
@karim11, I agree with Elexis, start with Milkshape rather than Blender, as MIlkshape is very easy to use - I've tried on several occasions to use Blender but could never get into it, finding myself always running back to Milkshape!

I also agree that unless you already have meshing experience, start with making a few simple objects first so that you get the basic ideas of meshing.

But if you're determined to start with hair (like I was) and/or you already have some meshing experience, then extract some of the simpler base game hairs from TS3 (you can use CAS Texture Unitool to do that: http://www.modthesims.info/d/364926 ) and practice by modifying them while using HP's tutorial I linked above - that's how I got started. Making a hair from scratch is a whole different issue, but modifying existing hairs will give you a good understanding of how hairs are made.