Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 4:09 AM
Default Custom signs for CAW? Completely lost...
I'll start by stating that I've spent the last... oh... seven or so hours trolling here and other sites trying to find the info I need... so yeah...

So I'm building this world... it's going to be a beauuuuuuutiful world, and I'm so excited, but I need... neeeeeeeeeeeeed... some custom signs for my world, specifically neighborhood entrance signs and pretty directional signs. The stupid simlish signs available in CAW just aren't going to cut it. I'd really like for them to be usable in CAW so I don't have to litter my map with tiny "deco" lots just to place signs in-game. I am familiar with TSRW and have made a few custom paintings over the years, but once I made a recolor of a painting, I don't have the faintest clue how I would get it into CAW.

What I really need are a full set of English letters (3d preferably) in an elegant serif font that I could place on walls (like Riverside rail). I've searched and searched but have not been able to locate anything like that. If anyone knows if something like that exists somewhere and could post a link, I would be ever so grateful. However, if that does not yet exist, are there any "making custom objects for caw for complete and total meshing virgins" tutorials out there? I do a lot of stuff in sketchup, so I'm somewhat comfortable in a 3d environment, and I do have photoshop, but I don't even know where to start in regard to actually making things (that don't suck) for caw.

Or if anyone has any other ideas on how I could do what I'm wanting to do then I'm open to and would appreciate that as well. I've attached a couple of screens from my world, as well as some ideas of what I'm wanting to make (generally).
Screenshots
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 2:17 PM
I know there is something you have to do to get CC to show up in CAW, but I never paid attention to what it is because I can't run CAW anyway. (Well, I suppose the new computer I got for my birthday last November might be able to as soon as I find my codes to get Sims 3 onto it... And get CAW for it.) http://modthesims.info/t/481967 seems to be how to get CC into CAW unless something has changed since then.

I would suspect that if you made the signs that already appear in CAW to be the base mesh that you use to build what you want, and put them wherever you need them for CAW to read them, they should appear in CAW.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 3:35 PM
This should help as regarding having items show up in CAW:
https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453818
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 4:04 PM
Thank you so much, Simsample! I will definitely give that a try! Taking a sick day from work today, so it's a good time to experiment!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 4:20 PM
Ok here's a question... (and I sincerely apologize for my n00b-ness... there's just something about all of this that is hard to wrap my brain around)
I (kindof) understand pulling objects out of The Sims game, modding them, then doing the voodoo with the OBJ stuff to make them show up in CAW. But, how would I go about editing an item that's only available in CAW (and not the game). Case in point: riverside rail (unless that's available in the game and I'm just dumb).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 5:00 PM
Are you meaning the rails from Riverview, or some others?

Calislahn did the Riverview Railings here:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....573#post3951573
Other items in that thread too.

Also, you could try SuperCAW:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468279
All in-game objects show up in metadata for that version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 6:04 PM
Default Trying....
Ugh... What am I missing here?

Using TSRW and trying to edit the texture for this sign, and there are no texture files on the tab?

This is why I can never finish a world, lol. I get so hung up on these little minor detail projects and I just keep ramming my head into a brick wall.
Screenshots