Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 5:46 AM
I'm baaaack. Is this thing still awake? xD

I reinstalled Ultimate Collection... and followed the tutorial for the 4G patch. My memory read the same (patch didn't work)..

So I used the flexible exe... patch still didn't work.

I placed the .exe on desktop, patched it, then put it in CSBin.

Am I missing something? I'm using a shortcut from CSBin on desktop to run the game.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#227 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 6:14 AM
If it works that is fine, a few people have had to move the .exe around.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#228 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 9:48 PM
I'm hoping somebody can help - I've run the patch manually through CFF as I run the Origin Ultimate Collection. After ticking for it to recognise more than 2GB of ram, I've then followed the guide for setting up the Windows 10 stand by memory reset. However, somewhere between patching the game and setting up this task, something corrupts within the SP9 file with the EXE in it, and I find myself having to verify my files through Origin to get the game to open.

Origin keeps telling me there is a content patch available so I reset it and still nothing!

This keeps resetting the game back to 2GB.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I'm almost 100% I've missed something, but would appreciate it if somebody could point out what that something is!
Instructor
#229 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 2:44 PM
I finally installed the 4GB patch and fixed Standby memory after being fed up by my game constantly crashing when it reached 1,500,000K of memory. Thanks for the tutorial @TheJessaChannel.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Test Subject
#230 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 4:55 PM
Hi everyone and thank you so much for your tutorial, Jessa! This seams to be the cause of my long loading lots. The analysis showed at one point that there were only 1MB free memory and the rest was all standby. However, I can't bring the .exe to work once I cut and paste it into the CSBin. It shows an "unspecific error". Furthermore, after the 4GB patch, the log says my memory is at 2048MB and free memory at 1140MB. Why is that?
I haven't done the task to delete the standby processes yet, because I want to fix the 4GB issue first. Any ideas?
I feel like I'm sooo close to solving this, but I can't get over this hurdle.
Mad Poster
#231 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 7:24 PM
Geez I can't even get the patch to install/run, and I thought I had done this before. Too complex for me..

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#232 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 11:50 PM
The patch applies in a blink grammapat-if you were expecting to see it do something, it won't, so it may have worked even if it looked like nothing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#233 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 2:09 PM
I finally found that memory and free memory are both 4096; this is what it said years ago. Think I read that patch may NOT be applied/working, and also need to turn off compatibility mode..and other stuff. Read every single post, looked at every link, and the main video ---OMG! I gave up last time, also. Just tried to stop crashing by saving frequently and not playing more than a few hours. But now the crashing, and slow loading of lots,etc, has gotten terrible. Maybe I should stop reading and try to do one simple step...Nope, tried a few things; path described can't be followed..again. Coffee. Need coffee. Need younger brain

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#234 Old 3rd May 2019 at 2:59 PM
I have a (1 TB) SSD as the main C:drive and a (1TB) HDD as the D:drive, and as far as I can gather, upping the virtual memory file isn't recommended if you have a SSD, but so far that's the only thing that's worked to remove the startup pink-flashing on lots (in addition to the 4GB patch).

I vaguely remember someone posting about a change you could do in the GraphicsRules file that would allow the game to access a bit more than the 4 GB the patch provides, even if it's some kind of virtual memory substitute. I think my graphic card has either 6 or 8 GB, and there's 32 GB of ram on the machine, so I've got quite a bit to play around with, which is annoying because my game that goes into full pink mode without the virtual memory switch file set to high (20-30.000 instead of roughly 5000... whatever those numbers mean. I haven't had to worry about virual memory since my XP laptop, and back then I didn't have to do anything to switch it on).

In theory, the 4GB patch was enough to allow my game to run on a Vista setup (4GB RAM + whatever was on the graphic card) with somewhere around 25-30 GB of CC, without ever seeing any pink-flashing (unless stressing the system with snow or very CC-heavy lots), so Win10 screwing up everything is really annoying, seeing as my new laptop in theory should be a lot better than that big, clunky stationary.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to remove or fix the Win10 update that screwed things up a while back? It does seem like that update has been installed on my laptop, possibly as an 'update all' solution when I set up my laptop.
Mad Poster
#235 Old 3rd May 2019 at 3:38 PM
The video in the first post?
I followed it yesterday, and went to download the little program that clears up standby memory..Jessa also speaks about that Win10 update and how to fix it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#236 Old 3rd May 2019 at 3:56 PM
I don't think it was that program, but some kind of change in the GraphicsRules file (possibly a manual edit that the GraphicsRulesMaker program doesn't fix).
Mad Poster
#237 Old 3rd May 2019 at 5:14 PM
The GRM does not work on my system - I have to do it manually.
It is some time ago - but looking into it, it seemed to me as if the GRM puts the exact same files in the exact same locations as when I do it manually
But only doing it manually works.
I've decided not to worry about it - after all, it works
Mad Poster
#238 Old 3rd May 2019 at 5:26 PM
I still suggest you to go back to watch it. At around 9 min 40...around 9 min 50, she talks about that win 10 update that screwed up the way it deals with allocating memory. So unless you were talking about another win 10 update, that would be it.
It fixed my game anyway.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
#239 Old 10th May 2019 at 7:18 PM
Hey, I return. I'm still unable to play my game even though everything seems to have gone well with the advice on here. Logs show the 4g patch took just fine, all the graphics are fine and dandy. I even have custom content showing up... except in buy mode, but that's related to the issue I'm still currently having. Game still freezes at save, and this is apparently also affecting settings for enabling cc, and other general game settings (like game tips constantly 'welcoming me to sims 2' every time I load up the game, or turning off picture in picture window).
And it doesn't matter what kind of save, just saving on the lot, when wanting to move from the lot to the neighborhood, or traveling somewhere. Weirdly, it does save (other than the settings that I mentioned above), I don't lose any gameplay, though I still get the weird glitched out thumbnails and neighborhood lots. What little I can find online about this particular problem seems all related to the Radeon r series of graphics cards. But I can't afford a new graphics card.

Is there anything. Anything at all that anyone out there has found. Or can suggest for me to try? I haven't been able to play my game for over a year...
Scholar
#240 Old 10th May 2019 at 7:48 PM
it's really weird, like the game does not have write rights to some folders/files. Which have little sense (or not at all).

If you have the Intel CPU can you try to run the game with iGPU? Whatever it is.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#241 Old 19th May 2019 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
it's really weird, like the game does not have write rights to some folders/files. Which have little sense (or not at all).

If you have the Intel CPU can you try to run the game with iGPU? Whatever it is.

You think it might be an issue with permissions? Like the game can't properly save/use game files properly because of permissions?
Lab Assistant
#242 Old 29th May 2019 at 10:13 PM
So when I followed the first steps of the video to check the config file in logs, I found in the area pointed out by Jessa in the video that both memory and free memory reads 4096 already....but I can assure that I have NEVER applied the 4gb patch. I'm a bit befuddled by this, because since I never applied the patch technically its not supposed to read as 4096 right? I have issues with crashing on big, CC-heavy lots, and I'm working to fix that, but I'm already thrown off by that. Does that mean that I don't need to install the patch? I'm on windows 7 on a 64-bit system with 16gb.
Lab Assistant
#243 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 5:04 AM
Default Can't run the patch
I downloaded the patch as shown in your video, from both locations. I extract the files from the .rar it downloaded in. I see the 4gb_patch.exe and 4gb_patch.exebackup. When I click to run it, I get an error box saying couldn't open executable. Both versions I downloaded gave me the same result. I tried the 4gb_patch.exebackup on each next. It directed me to pick a program to open it, as it didn't recognize the program as is.
Test Subject
#244 Old 7th Jun 2019 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moseaclaidin
I downloaded the patch as shown in your video, from both locations. I extract the files from the .rar it downloaded in. I see the 4gb_patch.exe and 4gb_patch.exebackup. When I click to run it, I get an error box saying couldn't open executable. Both versions I downloaded gave me the same result. I tried the 4gb_patch.exebackup on each next. It directed me to pick a program to open it, as it didn't recognize the program as is.

I'm having the same issues, glad to see its not just my computer being weird for once. (Oh, the backup isn't a real run-able file, sort of, hence being asked to pick a program. If you needed to use the backup at some point, you'd rename it to '4gb_patch.exe', removing the 'backup' part so that's working as its supposed to, at least. Still no idea on the rest, unfortunately.)
Inventor
#245 Old 15th Jun 2019 at 1:38 AM
Well, this was useful! I had followed a written tutorial on doing the 4GB patch, so I've had that for a while, but I had never thought to check how my memory was being allocated. I recently upgraded my memory from 8GB to 24GB and noticed I was still getting an occasional lagging in Sims. Imagine my surprise while following the latter half of Jessa's tutorial to find that AVG was eating up a massive chunk of Standby all on its lonesome! Nearly 14GB, with a few other programs throwing in their very paltry weight by comparison. I messed up the first time in setting the scheduled task but got it right the second. Every 5 minutes is a bit too aggressive for my system, as I was starting to get a lot of hard faults/sec. I've set it to every hour and am keeping an eye on how that works out. I have a feeling AVG wasn't relinquishing memory properly, so the task hopefully will keep things cleaned up.
Test Subject
#246 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 1:47 PM
Hi ,
Does the patch work for windows xp?
Scholar
#247 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 2:20 PM
yes, assuming it's Windows XP SP2 and the machine has at last 4GB RAM; however, if it's not a 64-bit version actual benefits are mediocre. The most beneficial users are those on 64-bit systems with 6GB RAM or more.

Still, even 32-bit system, which is limited to the ~3.7 GB will give the game for the use another 1GB with patch. Cleaned nicely XP should not use more than 500 GB itself.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
#248 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 9:54 AM
muchas gracias muy amable
Lab Assistant
#249 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 10:38 AM
Usually my game doesn't crash at all, except for when I'm building extremely large lots with many objects and especially many lamps. I installed this 4GB patch, but it didn't help at all. My game still crashes on big lots. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Did I really say that?
- Well, at least yesterday is behind us now.
/Jonipoon
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#250 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 11:16 AM
Check your config-log.txt in the Sims 2 Logs folder under Documents. What does that read?

~Call me Jo~
Page 10 of 15