Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2005 at 8:07 PM
GMax download needed
Can someone please help. I'm tring to download Gmax so I can make my own stuff for the Sims 2. I've been to the official site which then sends me to turbosquid.com. After I download it and run the exe it installs something called EO Video. Can someone please help?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th May 2005 at 3:49 AM
Gmax will not export a file in *.OBJ format, even with the plugin that imports the format. You would need a converter or another 3d program to comvert the file from one of the formats that Gmax exports to OBJ format. I recommend acquiring MilkShape - everyone seems to have good luck with that... that and (I think it's wes_h's) a plugin for it that can be found somewhere here on MTS2.
Personally I have had no luck with Gmax and have not yet managed to "acquire" Milkshape. If however you know something I don't, about Gmax being used to successfully export an OBJ file, I would be very apreaciative if you PM'd me with a link.
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2005 at 7:42 PM
did u mean the plug in to export?, cos that's the one i've downloaded. I've heard people using 3D studio max and gmax. i'm not sure if it's succesful though
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th May 2005 at 9:50 AM
Got your PM, no link there though. I have downloaded a couple of plugins that claim to export, and none of them actually do export in OBJ format. It is definately not an error on my part as I know exactly what I am doing. If you do find a Gmax plugin that exports OBJ format please post here or PM me. I am subscribing to this thread so I will see it if you post here. I have become pretty familiar with Gmax and had almost given up on TS2 meshing with it... until I saw this thread. I do not know of any successfull mesh mods actually happening using Gmax alone but if you have any leads on this post here, and keep in touch. Here's a link to a thread here (at MTS2) that was started a while ago, in case you haven't seen it, regarding Gmax: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=42053
It seems that everyone who successfully meshes TS2 uses Milkshape and wes_h (it is in fact, Wes_H) has two new plugins for MilkShape.. (making a total of three plugins for MilkShape). The link to the two new ones is: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43503
MilkShape is very expensive though and I have not acquired it yet. I am still very interested in using G-Max - because I am now familiar with it - but it seems that I will probably have to end up using MilkShape because it seems to be the community standard for meshing TS2. Wes has enabled us ruedementary annimation support with his latest plugins so at my earliest convieniance (meaning access to a high speed internet connection) I will "acquire" MilkShape. I am still GunG-Ho about meshing with Gmax, as I will probably never get too far into animations and am already familiar with Gmax... It suits my meshing purposes.
If you still cant get your paws on G-MAX itself just E-Mail me at: [email protected] (pixiedust81 only - all others will be ignored) and I will help you, to the absolute extent of my abilities. I also have a plugin for Gmax that works - that does import OBJ format files as exported by SimPE... It may actually be available in the first link of this post. One more thing - PM me here at MTS2 to tell me that you have E-Mailed me as I check in here far far more often than I check that particular E-Mail that I gave above. LoL, -JoJo
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th May 2005 at 10:56 AM
You can find both an .obj importer and exporter for Gmax on this site, at this address: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...&highlight=gmax

Milkshape provides a free trial download but if you want to buy it, it's only $25. I don't think that's "very expensive" when you compare it to Maya or 3DS Max which are priced anywhere from $800 to over a thousand. You can download Milkshape at CNET.com.

Animation with Gmax as far as I know so far, playing around with it, is possible. I'm currently working on some hair meshes with it but may have to switch to milkshape to use the animation plugins.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th May 2005 at 11:48 AM
Thanx for the info Nikita. I must have been confusing the price with Maya. Somehow I got the impression that MilkShape was a high-end program (probably because it's the one that consistantly produces most of these new meshes here). Wow, only $25, I guess I'll spring for that sometime soon... and go "acquire" me a copy of Maya instead, at my earliest conveniance. Aye!...
Thanx for the link, I'm gunna try it out. I've never made a mesh - well, not one that I've gotten into the game, anyway. Thank you so much. Using Gmax is ideal for me as I don't have much free time lately (to learn a new program) and money's tight too (started my own buisness recently - it's gunna fly.)
LoL

"Stirred sheep and whirreled peas don't mix. In order to mix these two things you would have to puree the sheep." -JoJo
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikita489
You can find both an .obj importer and exporter for Gmax on this site, at this address: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...&highlight=gmax

Milkshape provides a free trial download but if you want to buy it, it's only $25. I don't think that's "very expensive" when you compare it to Maya or 3DS Max which are priced anywhere from $800 to over a thousand. You can download Milkshape at CNET.com.

Animation with Gmax as far as I know so far, playing around with it, is possible. I'm currently working on some hair meshes with it but may have to switch to milkshape to use the animation plugins.

Actually the most recent version of maya unlimited, 8.5, costs 6999 $ and 3ds max 9 costs 3495 $.

I have those prices in my head because i recently bought them from autodesk.
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: This discussion is 2 years old