Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1257
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 1100 times.
Search this Thread
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:45 PM DefaultI'm trying and failing to link a mesh to 3DID to get the hat to show up on a different age group. #1
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


I just came back here to ask how do I link a hat to a different age group. When I used the body mesh tool to try and link the mesh to a 3DID file it either just shows up with no hair and hat or just the hair. This is something that I wanted to do and I tried to do all by myself but I couldn't because it's too confusing to figure and do because of all the 3DID files and I couldn't get Bodyshop to recognize the hair and hat.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:52 PM #2
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
2 Achievements


I'm still a little unsure what you're trying to do. I get that you want the hat to work as an accessory, and I think you're trying to do this by editing a hair recolor, but other than that it's vague.

Can you upload or link to the files you're working on?

Are you working on a hair or an accessory file? They're a bit different from body meshes, so you need to know what you're doing when linking.

If you're trying to make a mesh for an older age to show up on a younger age (adult/teen on a child or toddler), you're going about it the wrong way. If there isn't already a mesh for that age, you need to create a new mesh, because the placement on the heead is very different. If you're trying to make a hair into an accessory, there are things you have to change in a meshing program for the mesh to show up.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 6:58 PM #3
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
I'm still a little unsure what you're trying to do. I get that you want the hat to work as an accessory, and I think you're trying to do this by editing a hair recolor, but other than that it's vague.

Can you upload or link to the files you're working on?

Are you working on a hair or an accessory file? They're a bit different from body meshes, so you need to know what you're doing when linking.

If you're trying to make a mesh for an older age to show up on a younger age (adult/teen on a child or toddler), you're going about it the wrong way. If there isn't already a mesh for that age, you need to create a new mesh, because the placement on the heead is very different. If you're trying to make a hair into an accessory, there are things you have to change in a meshing program for the mesh to show up.

It's the same one that I was working on before which is the bucket hat, the problem is that I couldn't get the hat to show up and it shows the hair instead so I tried to link it to the bucket hat mesh but it's not working and it's showing under the custom hair color section instead of in the natural hair color section. I'm planning on converting it to an accessory but first I got to figure out how to make the hat show up on the child.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Bucket Hat.rar (597.8 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Old 12th Jan 2018, 10:50 PM #4
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
2 Achievements


Your mesh is for teen male. It won't show up properly for child female no matter what you do with it, since it's got the wrong skeleton (much taller, and the head is placed slightly off compared to the child skeleton, so the animations will probably be off. The hat will also be well above the child's head).

That bucket hat has already been converted to child (and toddler) here: http://modthesims.info/d/147211 (as hairs). If you want to make it into an accessory, you can extract and use it - but you still need to take the mesh through a meshing program (you have to change comments and group names, possibly also placement if you want it to look good with hairs, and it also needs a lens group so it won't flash blue ingame - referring to the tutorials I posted in one of your other threads).
Old 12th Jan 2018, 11:08 PM #5
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Your mesh is for teen male. It won't show up properly for child female no matter what you do with it, since it's got the wrong skeleton (much taller, and the head is placed slightly off compared to the child skeleton, so the animations will probably be off. The hat will also be well above the child's head).

That bucket hat has already been converted to child (and toddler) here: http://modthesims.info/d/147211 (as hairs). If you want to make it into an accessory, you can extract and use it - but you still need to take the mesh through a meshing program (you have to change comments and group names, possibly also placement if you want it to look good with hairs, and it also needs a lens group so it won't flash blue ingame - referring to the tutorials I posted in one of your other threads).

Thanks I didn't know that the hat was already converted for children but I would still like to know how to fix problems like this so that when I decide to convert a hat made for a different age group I would know what to do.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 3:30 PM #6
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
2 Achievements


You could extract the GMDC from the child hat, and use my tutorial to make an accessory. That way you know how to do it for your next project, and you can then concentrate on remeshing/refitting meshes. Learning things in stages, instead of doing everything at once, can be a good way to learn something new in SimPE.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 12:13 PM #7
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
You could extract the GMDC from the child hat, and use my tutorial to make an accessory. That way you know how to do it for your next project, and you can then concentrate on remeshing/refitting meshes. Learning things in stages, instead of doing everything at once, can be a good way to learn something new in SimPE.

Thank you right now i'm playing Sims 3 but I still plan to convert the bucket hat into an accessory wearable for both genders and when I do get better at drawing and making new textures (I'm still a noob when it comes to drawing and trying to at least make my artwork look half decent to look it but the most I could do are stick figures and when I draw I still couldn't get the pencil to move when I wanted it be because I have terrible handling.) I will probably try to make new textures and updated textures for it. Hopefully I would get a new drawing tablet for my birthday so I could practice on my artwork without wasting paper and led and saving a lot of money in the process which is coming up this month on the twentieth where I'll be turning 20 years old.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 4:02 PM #8
simmer22
Mad Poster

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 3 in 1 Posts
2 Achievements


You don't need to be an artist to make textures (even if it does help), and you don't have to get a drawing tablet to do it. I usually get by fine with a mouse for most of my texturing projects, though I mostly keep things simple and use a lot of tricks. The simplest way is to desaturate a non-patterned texture, and use it as an overlay for other colors or patterns. For this, you only need to know some basic tools in whatever texture editing program you prefer (although you should stay away from the simplest ones like Paint). If you don't have Photoshop or similar, Gimp is a good and free alternative.
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.