Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 6:34 AM Last edited by wee829 : 13th Feb 2024 at 5:56 AM.
Default (3to2 conversion) Missing part of color/texture of the object?
Hi, I was converting an object from ts3 to ts2, and it turned out like this in the game:

It's obviously missing some of the color/texture of the original ts3 object which should has red color like below pic:

I checked on S3pe, it only had 4 DDS images that none of them had original color

What can I do to get a complete color/texture? Thanks a lot
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 8:21 AM
You need to generate the diffuse map texture of the TS3 object. If you're using TSR Workshop, here's how to do it:
https://blog.thesimsresource.com/si...textures-guide/
(skip to section 4.5)

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
You need to generate the diffuse map texture of the TS3 object. If you're using TSR Workshop, here's how to do it:
https://blog.thesimsresource.com/si...textures-guide/
(skip to section 4.5)

Thanks for reply. However, I can’t use TSR workshop, as I don’t have the sims3. In this case, what software can generate the diffuse map texture of ts3 object?
Instructor
#4 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 10:59 AM
Hi again

Because most TS3 objects are fully recolourable, you would have to recolour the greyscale texture manually in an image editor like Photoshop or GIMP. All tools that could output a pre-coloured texture complate for you need to use the patterns and Create a Style data from the game itself, because the preset colours don't actually exist as an image.

Maybe worth waiting for an EA App or Steam sale just to pick up the base game? Store content technically can't be downloaded without it either, so I think it would be fair to legitimately own at least part of what you're converting
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Hi again

Because most TS3 objects are fully recolourable, you would have to recolour the greyscale texture manually in an image editor like Photoshop or GIMP. All tools that could output a pre-coloured texture complate for you need to use the patterns and Create a Style data from the game itself, because the preset colours don't actually exist as an image.

Maybe worth waiting for an EA App or Steam sale just to pick up the base game? Store content technically can't be downloaded without it either, so I think it would be fair to legitimately own at least part of what you're converting

I got it how to color the texture now, Thanks! And Yes, I'll definitely purchase ts3 base game when it's on sale, I'm addicted to learn making more 3t2 conversion , so at this moment, I just converted free gift from the store for practice. Could I ask one more thing since you guys are very helpful, I learn a lot these days.

I found there are strange "square texture" on the round hook

In Milkshape, it showed square face too where are the round hook? It's supposed to be round shape not square...

Thank you!!!
Screenshots
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 4:11 AM
Glad to hear you're enjoying the process!

Those parts are probably transparent in TS3- the shader uses the texture's alpha channel to hide what needs to be invisible. That way it doesn't need to have all the extra vertices of having a 'real' circle.
I'm not sure what the TS2 equivalent for object transparency is, but hopefully one of the experienced creators around here will pop in to point you in the right direction.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 5:01 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2024 at 5:20 AM.
In the TXMT, you can use these settings (for a cutout-type transparency like you've got here). It's compatible with the rest of the texture, too.

stdMatAlphaBlendMode: none
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled: 1

(For see-through glass-like transparency you need to use "Blend" + "0", but it can cause some weird issues with opaque meshes, so it's best used with a separated mesh group for just the transparent subset).

---

.S3PE allows for extracting a DDS file, which could make it a bit easier for you to make a texture with an alpha already applied.

I've done a lot of pattern conversions from TS3 DDS files to recolorable PSD patterns by using the alphas and channel maps as alphas for color layers - and it's possible to do a texture the same way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 5:29 AM Last edited by wee829 : 13th Feb 2024 at 5:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
In the TXMT, you can use these settings (for a cutout-type transparency like you've got here). It's compatible with the rest of the texture, too.

stdMatAlphaBlendMode: none
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled: 1

(For see-through glass-like transparency you need to use "Blend" + "0", but it can cause some weird issues with opaque meshes, so it's best used with a separated mesh group for just the transparent subset).

---

.S3PE allows for extracting a DDS file, which could make it a bit easier for you to make a texture with an alpha already applied.

I've done a lot of pattern conversions from TS3 DDS files to recolorable PSD patterns by using the alphas and channel maps as alphas for color layers - and it's possible to do a texture the same way.

Oh no, I edit the setting but it remained the same, it didn't cutout those circle

Update: I made it!! I found you taught someone before on the same problem, it was the about PNG transparent background with the texture. Thank you all!!!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 6:47 AM
Yep, the transparent background is needed for it to work.