Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2019 at 1:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Crashing and now it won't read my installed worlds file.
CAS, building, and decorating were interminable. So I decided to try and see if CC Magic could help. At first it did seem to, but then I downloaded some more things and suddenly the game was crashing before it hit the "choose a file screen." I tried a few different set ups and it didn't seem to matter what subset of my CC I was using it resulted in crashing before the base screen. So I uninstalled CC Magic and things still wouldn't load. I tried the half and half method and it still wouldn't load. I pulled out all CC and left my scripting mods and it still wouldn't load. I took out the mods folder entirely and it loaded up. I wasn't messing with my script mods before it stopped working. I made a new Sims 3 folder. I added my saves in and they disappeared. I added in my installed worlds and I can't choose from any of them. They are not in the pull down menu to start a new file in. If I look at my Sims 3 folder, the worlds are there, but they aren't being read. I can live without CC if I have to, but I really can't live without my scripting mods. They add so much depth to my game!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th May 2019 at 4:37 AM
It sounds like you have picked up an unwanted TS3 user game folder somewhere on your system with no content in it and the game is now reading from that one on startup rather than the one your are adding content to. Do you have OneDrive and might there be a TS3 user game folder in there? Especially on Win 10, the game can confuse OneDrive's Documents folder with the system one, think that's where it should be looking for the game folder, and will spawn a new one there if it can't find it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th May 2019 at 4:23 PM
I checked my onedrive and found some lost files, but no Sims 3 folder.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th May 2019 at 6:02 PM
Hmm. Let's try this test. In your user game folder, the new one to which you have been adding copies of saves and content that then fail to show up, there will be a file called DeviceConfig.log. It may show up as just DeviceConfig if you have the display of file extensions disabled, but it's the same file. When you do a right-click on it, what does it show for a Modification Date/Time? It should be the last time you started up the game. If you aren't sure when that was, close everything out, go ahead and start the game, and the file's Modification Date/Time should update instantly.

If the Modification Date/Time is stale, or if you have no DeviceConfig.log file in the new game folder at all, then that game folder has never been called upon when the game starts up and there must be another one on your system someplace that is being used.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2019 at 9:16 PM
If I hover my cursor over the file, it says that it was last modified last night at 8:18 PM.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2019 at 11:09 PM
Okay, and if you launch the game now does the date/time on that file update itself to "now" right away?
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2019 at 12:43 AM
Yes, I launched about 2 minutes ago and it updated.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st May 2019 at 12:57 AM
Wait a minute, I may have missed a step here. Don't custom worlds that are provided by way of Sims3packs need to be installed via the Launcher? If merely putting the .world files into InstalledWorlds without taking the Launcher install step is not enough to get the worlds recognized as actually being worlds, that may explain why saved games based on them are not showing up as they would essentially be undefined.

If that's not the problem at all, then I'm sorry to say you have a broken user game folder in Documents but I don't know why that would be the case for a brand new one.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st May 2019 at 6:35 PM
Wouldn't the saves still be in the folder even if I couldn't use them? When I open the folder up, it's empty.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st May 2019 at 8:02 PM
Then if you truly do not have another TS3 user game folder on your system someplace unexpected, I would have to say that some process or other not related to the game is messing around with the game folder in Documents. When we save, a save file (folder) is most definitely created even if the save is damaged or unsuccessful, and even if the save didn't actually receive any data from the game session that was running at the time. When we move/copy saves manually from one game folder to another, there is nothing the game does that would make the actual save files disappear from their new location again.

If it's not Win 10 or OneDrive messing around with your game folder, it might be some form of anti-malware or a security program deeming your game folder to be suspicious or some kind of threat. Or you might have a damaged hard drive, but typically there would be many other symptoms of that showing up by now.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd May 2019 at 12:50 AM
Thank you for all your help, igazor! I have no idea what's going on, but I dropped the mods framework in and the game loaded up fine. I'm going to add in NRAAS MC, Error Trap, and Saver and see how it reacts
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd May 2019 at 5:23 AM
Don’t part of the installed worlds end up in the DCCache folder because they are launcher installed? The disappearing saves is really weird though, could they have been sent to the trash bin when they vanished?
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd May 2019 at 1:18 PM
More for my own records, than anything else... I threw my NRAAS folder in there and it loaded up fine. I also put my overides in.