Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 8:54 PM
Apartments on foundations with private backyards - Tutorial
I have had a few requests to show how to make apartments on a foundation with a private backyard to each, so here it is.

Before we start you will need an invisible fence http://www.modthesims.info/d/179868

Here is the apartment in neighbourhood view, as you can see its not working as it should.

First will have to change the lot back to residential (changeLotZoning residential)

This apartment has two units and we want a backyard for each thats private.

If we tried to change it now (changeLotZoning apartmentbase) it will come up with an error message.

To start you need to delete the stairs for both apartments at the back

Now add a peice of foundation where the stairs were

Now you need to use the invisible fence and enclose the foundation you just built

Delete the two bits of foundation (it wont delete the fencing)

Type move_objects on in the cheat window, and then put back your stairs

The apartment will look the same as before

Now type changeLotZoning apartmentbase in the cheat window, if you have done the correct steps then no message at all will come up

And in neighbourhood view it should show correctly how many apartments there are and the pricing.

And now you will have working apartments on a foundation each with their own private backyards.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Mar 2011 at 9:23 PM
Wow, that's so cool!

Thanks for the tut! <3
Test Subject
#3 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 8:10 PM
Hi! I've build a wonderful row of Victorian apartments, on foundation with private backyards. Well, I tried - I couldn't get it to work for reasons above. However, I've tried everything in this post above and it still wont work. I dont know what I'm doing wrong and it makes me soooo frustrated! Sometimes I cant place the stairs, even though I use moveObjects on - I think that is when I enclose the whole foundationpiece - that is, on all four sides. When I just enclose the sides edging "out" to the garden, I can place the stairs but I cant convert it into apartments. I've been trying all night and it's driving me nuts - if anyone still reads this post, pleaaaaaaase help me! I'd be grateful forever!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toove
Hi! I've build a wonderful row of Victorian apartments, on foundation with private backyards. Well, I tried - I couldn't get it to work for reasons above. However, I've tried everything in this post above and it still wont work. I dont know what I'm doing wrong and it makes me soooo frustrated! Sometimes I cant place the stairs, even though I use moveObjects on - I think that is when I enclose the whole foundationpiece - that is, on all four sides. When I just enclose the sides edging "out" to the garden, I can place the stairs but I cant convert it into apartments. I've been trying all night and it's driving me nuts - if anyone still reads this post, pleaaaaaaase help me! I'd be grateful forever!
Please can we see some pictures of the apartments. We might be able to figure out what's happening then

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2022 at 1:54 AM Last edited by ekrubynaffit : 17th May 2022 at 10:57 PM. Reason: update link
Have updated this tutorial and added a bit more info on why it won't work, Can find here

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 1:47 AM
I've followed this tutorial, but when placing stairs, I get a "can't intersect wall" message (there is no wall there).