Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1161
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 895 times.
Search this Thread
Old 8th Oct 2017, 3:36 AM DefaultOne-sided wall cutout? #1
Qahne
Original Poster

Scholar

17 Achievements

I'm making a fireplace, but it protrudes from the wall too much for the look I'm aiming for. I want to set it into the wall slightly, using a cutout so the hearth isn't obscured. However, it's backless, meaning I want a wall cutout only on the side containing the hearth, not the outside wall. I've messed with cutouts enough in TS3 to know that it's possible there, but I have no idea if a one-sided cutout is possible in TS2. I can't even find much info on cutouts in general. Any knowledge is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Old 8th Oct 2017, 3:51 AM #2
mustluvcatz

31 Achievements

View My Journal

If you mean a separate mesh to make the "hole" in the wall, yes. My niches only cut a hole in one side of the wall: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=506599
If you mean as part of your fireplace mesh, I have no clue how you'd go about that.
Old 8th Oct 2017, 2:52 PM #3
Qahne
Original Poster

Scholar

17 Achievements

I'm really very new to doing anything beyond mesh and texture swapping with TS2 objects, so I'm using my TS3 brain to think about this, and I think that may be part of the problem. To think I was so proud of my CRES fiddling yesterday! I'll pick apart your niches (that somehow I don't already have in my game ) to see if I can find a better way than my current train of thought, thanks MLC!

Edit: Oh, I think I get it! Comparing a window to your niches, you only have a wallmask defined for the N side in the TXMT, whereas windows have both S and N. I'll try cloning a window and deleting one of them and see where that leads. Now I just have to figure out how masks are linked to window meshes and see if I can glue it to a different object type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Last edited by Qahne : 8th Oct 2017 at 3:06 PM.

Section jump: