Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Moving neighbourhoods between computers? (disappearing things)
So, as the title says, I have a question about moving neighbourhoods: I attempted to move a 'hood from my old computer to my new laptop, as I wished to play it again and the old computer is basically dead at this point. However, I experienced a few issues, as it is a premade hood(Pleasantview) and not something I made myself. I'll explain them in detail, so there are more chances of getting a quick fix to the issue :D
In my first attempt, it outright wouldn't load, then in the second attempt a few houses and families were completely gone, in the third attempt, the hood WORKED, but most deceased sims didn't even have a face in the family tree, all graves were gone, and many playable sims lost a lot of their memories. The fourth attempt is the one I kept, but no deceased sims, even ones I made and played, are resurrectable and all graves are still gone.
Anyway, my question is: is there a way to transfer a hood between computers while keeping all data, graves, memories, etc?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 2:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Mar 2018 at 2:18 PM.
Did you copy it over and choose the "replace" option (don't do this!), or did you take out the original neighborhood folder and put back in the folder from the old neighborhood (correct option)?

You need to replace the entire folder, so if you're changing Pleasantview you need to move out (or delete) the original "N001" folder and put in the "N001" folder from the backup.

If you did it correctly, there's a small chance the neighborhood from the backup had some undiscovered corruption. Sometimes neighborhood corruption can limp along unseen on one computer and blow up completely when transfered to another.

Pleasantview and the other original neighborhoods have some minor corruption and/or pre-baked issues with the original characters from the get-go, where you can't resurrect original characters and where some things are pre-destined to happen to them. However, if the issues happen with player-made characters, that's a bigger problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 2:21 PM
First of all, thanks for the answer!

I see where the issues with the first two attemptss came - I outright replaced the folder. I deleted N001 in the other attempts though. But the corruption seems likely, I've had the hood for a while and did many things in it, so I probably broke something :D
And I do know about the original characters, what scared me more is that the graves and the ability to resurrect my own sims were gone... (this part is pointless now, I didn't see your final edit when I started writing :P)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 11:11 AM
When I change computers (Just did so a couple of weeks ago) instead of making just a backup of the hood I backup the entire Sims 2 folder, that way nothing can be forgotten. I then cut the Sims 2 folder the game makes and replace with my saved version. But agree with simmer22, never use replace, always delete then paste.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~