Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 4:48 AM
CocoMama posted similarly in the bed thread about there being 4 groups in the MODL while the MLOD also has 4 with one being a shadow.

She said, "That "extra" group in the MODL is part of the bedding."

I can't do anything with that. I'd like to be able to fix the code for my beds but it's beyond me.
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#27 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:00 AM
I hadn't even got to the MODL yet. I got the spikes just by changing the MLOD.

Quote:
I'd like to be able to fix the code for my beds but it's beyond me.

You and me both.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#28 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:21 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 5th Feb 2010 at 7:25 AM. Reason: felt whiney...lol
Yes...you and me both.
Inventor
#29 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:59 AM
OM and CMO sorry, I can not find that thread from OM without search.
I would like to ask, did you both actually changed all the MODLs and MLODs, or stopped after just altering the MLOD0 to test ingame?
Asking, because I think that maybe that extra group in the MODL does has something to do with your spikes.

Also beds have an insane number of joints, maybe that part of the bedding is missing connection with the joints in the MLOD0 somehow?

Sorry, if that sounds stupid, but I did not do any meshing the last months, and still have to try to read up everything that happened.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#30 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:22 AM
Cocomama: the thread by OM is on page 4 of this section, had "bed meshing" in the title. It's not hard to find =)

cmo: didn't Wes talk about the technicalities of vbufs in the blender scripts thread, explaining something to ceixari? Maybe he has looked into that part already, and would understand what is going on there. (blender thread was here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=389058 )

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Alchemist
#31 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 12:34 AM
You are right that in some objects the sign of the Y component appears to be reversed.

While there is an issue with beds and geometry states (the wrinkled covers) that remains unfixed, the location of the joints as it appears in MilkShape is only for reference... while that data is read, it is not written.

The ObjTool does not change the location or count of the joints, thus you cannot create or delete any of the joints in the model, that would also require changes in the .grannyrig files, which we cannot at this time decompress properly.

What you can do is alter the assignment of any vertex to one of the existing joints. There is no requirement that you use all of the original joints, if nothing is assigned to it the joint will still be in the package, but it will no longer have any effect on the rendering or animation of the object.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#32 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 1:02 AM
CocoMama, I changed all the LODs and the MODL for the bed I created and tested. The blankets still get the peaks at the top even so.

Wes, is the problem with the geometry states something that can be fixed by reassigning vertices? Or were you bringing that up more just to explain in general how things work. Sorry if that's a silly question but the joints of objects aren't something I completely understand yet.
Alchemist
#33 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 2:20 AM
Sincerely sorry (HL I think you get another nickel) for the double post, but I thought of another question I want to ask.

Wes, I really am not trying to be a thorn here nor am I trying to nag...please, please believe me. But earlier I said, "The several beds I have will wait until hell freezes over though as long as there's the chance the issue with this tool set is resolved." Is there a chance?...timeframe isn't really the question...it's really more to know if this issue is one which interests you. Whatever the answer is is fine with me hon. I'm just askin'.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#34 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 10:10 AM
orangemittens, instead of going "sorry for the doublepost", you could just as well *not* doublepost, right? You know where the Edit button is?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#35 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 2:54 PM
Ok so I thought maybe my bed had vertices not assigned to a joint, but it looks like they all are.

So maybe then need to be assigned to a different joint butI have no idea which vertice to even begin to think about assigning to another joint. Is this possiblly a normals issue? I sorta understand them, however I don't know how to view them in Milkshape.

So if obj tool doesn't change location of the joints, they should technically still be assigned correctly?
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 4:13 PM
To view normals in MS: Tools menu, click Selection Editor.

But I think normals are more involved with how shading is applied to an object rather than how animations for the object work.

I read at another site that the importer they use for their game (not Sims 3) won't work with MS 1.8.5 but will with version 1.8.4. Is the issue we're having with bed animations related to MS itself?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#37 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 4:33 PM
Quote:
...they should technically still be assigned correctly...

That's what I thought, especially since I didn't touch anything.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#38 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 6:05 PM
Thanks for the info on normals. I'm still learning milkshape, I wish I could separate faces for mapping easier though.

It can't be a Milkshape issue, since I got the impaling bedding effect with only decompiling the mesh and never opening in Milkshape. All the vertices in the impaling area are assigned (as well as all others too I think).
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#39 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 10:50 PM
Discussion of Milkshape features has been split off into a new thread here.

Alchemist
#40 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:24 AM
Splitting my original post since this part makes more sense here:

"It can't be a Milkshape issue, since I got the impaling bedding effect with only decompiling the mesh and never opening in Milkshape."

Doh! I hadn't had enough coffee or something when I posted that about MS...when I tried the beds through all three tools back in the bed-thread I didn't open them in MS either so I knew that and was being an idiot in my post above.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#41 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
What you can do is alter the assignment of any vertex to one of the existing joints.

Could we then be losing some assignments somewhere in the process, even if we haven't opened it in MS?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Inventor
#42 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 1:22 PM
In a little break from my own project, I decided to test a bed and find out what "impaling" means.
When I decompiled the MODL from the colonialbed, I got an error, maybe it is related to the spikes?
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#43 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 2:36 PM
That error - I think Wes explained in the obj tool thread. But there the colonial bed has too many bone for MS. Not all beds have this error, if you try another bed it will not give that error. I am using the Mission as my base.
Page 2 of 2