Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 1:42 PM Last edited by TDC95 : 4th Nov 2011 at 1:17 AM.
Have my mesh done but why this?
Hey all, My mesh seems to be perfectly fine, i made a 1 story tall paintings frame with historical paintings on it, looks nice except for the fact my paintings keep coming up crunchy or pixelated. The pictures i'm using are very clear, i am not expanding them to a large extent. And they look clear when i put them on.

Is there anyway to stop them from looking so blurry?

Please help!

I want to upload here when done im so you guys can enjoy it
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Newwst version of TDC95's painting.zip (326.1 KB, 28 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TDC95
Hey all, My mesh seems to be perfectly fine, i made a 1 story tall paintings frame with historical paintings on it, looks nice except for the fact my paintings keep coming up crunchy or pixelated. The pictures i'm using are very clear, i am not expanding them to a large extent. And they look clear when i put them on.

Is there anyway to stop them from looking so blurry?

Please help!

I want to upload here when done im so you guys can enjoy it
If you changed the size of the Overlay .dds without changing the object's MaskWidth and MaskHeight this will result in blur when you view the object outside of Buy mode in-game.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 7:35 PM
Take a look at post #11 in this thread, which gives you step by step instructions on how to fix the issue orangemittens mentions above, and see if it helps you with your problem - it enabled me to fix a similar problem a while back: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=2904190
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 7:58 PM
Thanks guys ill try that, and come back if it doesn't work
Alchemist
#5 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
Take a look at post #11 in this thread, which gives you step by step instructions on how to fix the issue orangemittens mentions above, and see if it helps you with your problem - it enabled me to fix a similar problem a while back: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=2904190
This is the old way to fix the problem and will only work for people who are still using ObjTool to get MLOD's and MODL into an editor.

If you aren't using ObjTool anymore you'll need to edit using s3pe.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 8:22 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 30th Oct 2011 at 8:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
This is the old way to fix the problem and will only work for people who are still using ObjTool to get MLOD's and MODL into an editor.

Oh, that's interesting to know, thank you! I haven't had the problem again on any further objects (so far!) since back then, but if I do, I'll look at editing it with s3pe.

EDIT: OM, if you're still looking at this thread, I've just had a look at an object with S3PE to see where we would now edit those properties by using S3PE instead, but can't for the life of me figure out where we're supposed to be looking - what section is that info under?? (Am assuming we're looking in MLOD / Grid etc.) Thanks!

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, never mind - found entries for Mask Width and Mask Height in Chunk Entries [1] and [5]. OP, hope that will help if you have to do it the new way!
Alchemist
#7 Old 30th Oct 2011 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
Oh, that's interesting to know, thank you! I haven't had the problem again on any further objects (so far!) since back then, but if I do, I'll look at editing it with s3pe.

EDIT: OM, if you're still looking at this thread, I've just had a look at an object with S3PE to see where we would now edit those properties by using S3PE instead, but can't for the life of me figure out where we're supposed to be looking - what section is that info under?? (Am assuming we're looking in MLOD / Grid etc.) Thanks!

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, never mind - found entries for Mask Width and Mask Height in Chunk Entries [1] and [5]. OP, hope that will help if you have to do it the new way!
They are in multiple places for the 00000 and the 00001. Make sure to change them all.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 2:39 AM

How do I do that, btw? Would like to know about shooping the mask sizes without using ObjTool.
Alchemist
#9 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by blakegriplingph
How do I do that, btw? Would like to know about shooping the mask sizes without using ObjTool.
Open your object in S3PE and click on the MLOD line. Click the Grid button near the bottom of the screen sorta in the middle. Click Chunk Entries and the little button on the far right that has three little dots in it. Expand each Chunk entry in turn until you find one that says Mtnf. Click the plus sign next to that. If it has SData click the button on the far right with three little dots. Click through the Elements until you find the MaskWidth and Height ones. Not all SData collections will have those fields. You need to find the ones that do.

There will be two Chunk Entries of this kind for the MLOD and two for the MODL.

Alternatively you can look on the right hand side in the grey area to see where these fields are located so you aren't hunting around randomly. That thing basically provides a list of everything in the resource you've clicked on.

The numbers you need to use are posted in the link Esmerelda posted above.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 2:42 PM
I'm using TSR workshop and milkshape. How would i go about fixing my problem since all the options you have given me use other tools?
Alchemist
#11 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 2:53 PM
I'm using TSR workshop and milkshape. How would i go about fixing my problem since all the options you have given me use other tools?
I have no idea how to do this with TSRW since I don't use that tool at all. You might try the TSRW forums for information about it...they probably have a tutorial on it.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 3:35 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 31st Oct 2011 at 4:44 PM.

I do not know how big your texture size is but the moment you import a bigger one(or smaller) then the original clone sizes, you will be asked if you want to auto correct the other sizes(specular/mask/overlay etc.)
If your mask texture is smaller then the multipier then you can end up with blurry textures.
So , if your not going to edit all the texture files you must atleast click yes so all textures have the same size.

Another thing you might want to check is the prop editor located in the meshtab under matererials.
Check if all your custom textures are there. Overlay, if used, multiplier, mask and specular.
If not edit it and use the browse function to relink them to the custom ones.

You did update all textures and not just one right?
It is not a problem when working with just a overlay texture(or stencil) as those overrule all others.
Your object will not be recolourble then.
But mask/multiplier and specular must have the same size.

Oh,
another thing that is important that you stick to the correct format of the textures.
So before importing(or even starting) check the format of the original texture.
Overlay is DXT5interpolatedalpha
Mask is either DXT1noalpha or DXT5interpolatedalpha(4 recol objects)
Multiplier is often DXT1noalpha
Spec is DXT1noalpha
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 5:14 PM Last edited by TDC95 : 31st Oct 2011 at 5:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
I do not know how big your texture size is but the moment you import a bigger one(or smaller) then the original clone sizes, you will be asked if you want to auto correct the other sizes(specular/mask/overlay etc.)
If your mask texture is smaller then the multipier then you can end up with blurry textures.
So , if your not going to edit all the texture files you must atleast click yes so all textures have the same size.

Another thing you might want to check is the prop editor located in the meshtab under matererials.
Check if all your custom textures are there. Overlay, if used, multiplier, mask and specular.
If not edit it and use the browse function to relink them to the custom ones.

You did update all textures and not just one right?
It is not a problem when working with just a overlay texture(or stencil) as those overrule all others.
Your object will not be recolourble then.
But mask/multiplier and specular must have the same size.

Oh,
another thing that is important that you stick to the correct format of the textures.
So before importing(or even starting) check the format of the original texture.
Overlay is DXT5interpolatedalpha
Mask is either DXT1noalpha or DXT5interpolatedalpha(4 recol objects)
Multiplier is often DXT1noalpha
Spec is DXT1noalpha
Thanks so much, its a cloned mesh that i re-sized and edited a but i never touched the multiplier overlay or mask. What would you recommend doing? if you need any specific info let me know. And all the sizes are the same.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 7:35 PM
Well, if you resize a mesh your texures will resize along with it wich explains why they are blurry.
So you have to redo the texture on a bigger resolution.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 8:06 PM
Well, if you resize a mesh your texures will resize along with it wich explains why they are blurry.
So you have to redo the texture on a bigger resolution.
Ok thanks. Btw it seems that even when i didn't edit the mesh and im working on custom paintings they always come up blurry. I remember on the TSR how to they said to flatten the image then do something called Bevel and Emboss, i don't see that option on gimp. Would not doing that really affect the painting? Because i cant think of why this is happening. I must be missing some step when pasting the image over the other, because its clear on gimp but in-game weather i'm talking about my mesh or EA mesh its always blurry.

Its funny i can mesh but i cant do a simple painting
Alchemist
#16 Old 31st Oct 2011 at 11:12 PM
Ok thanks. Btw it seems that even when i didn't edit the mesh and im working on custom paintings they always come up blurry. I remember on the TSR how to they said to flatten the image then do something called Bevel and Emboss, i don't see that option on gimp. Would not doing that really affect the painting? Because i cant think of why this is happening. I must be missing some step when pasting the image over the other, because its clear on gimp but in-game weather i'm talking about my mesh or EA mesh its always blurry.

Its funny i can mesh but i cant do a simple painting
When you said above, " And they look clear when i put them on" did you mean that the image looks sharp when first applied in Buy Mode and then becomes blurry in play mode? If that's happening your problem is most likely a mismatch between the Mask Width and Mask Height and the dimensions of the actual .dds.

If TSRW won't work for you maybe give s3oc/3T a try...the method is very easy, takes little time to learn or do, and there's a tutorial for it on the Wiki. I make my paintings that way and I don't have any problems with blurriness.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 2:02 AM
When you said above, " And they look clear when i put them on" did you mean that the image looks sharp when first applied in Buy Mode and then becomes blurry in play mode? If that's happening your problem is most likely a mismatch between the Mask Width and Mask Height and the dimensions of the actual .dds.

If TSRW won't work for you maybe give s3oc/3T a try...the method is very easy, takes little time to learn or do, and there's a tutorial for it on the Wiki. I make my paintings that way and I don't have any problems with blurriness.
No i mean when i apply them when i use gimp they look clear but it look blurry in-game and the workshop. I use the .dds plug-in with gimp not the niveda or whatever its may be called would not using that affect the clearness? Because when i check the overlay its clear. I'm very confused

I tried to use those tools but the file extensions where very tedious for me. I think its a nice program but i want to be a bit more experienced before i use it. TSR Workshop in my opinion is good for beginners.

Here is a picture of them so you guys know what im working with http://www.thesimsresource.com/memb...ails/id/137864/ btw orangemittens your awesome
Alchemist
#18 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 2:13 AM
No i mean when i apply them when i use gimp they look clear but it look blurry in-game and the workshop. I use the .dds plug-in with gimp not the niveda or whatever its may be called would not using that affect the clearness? Because when i check the overlay its clear. I'm very confused

I tried to use those tools but the file extensions where very tedious for me. I think its a nice program but i want to be a bit more experienced before i use it. TSR Workshop in my opinion is good for beginners.

Here is a picture of them so you guys know what im working with http://www.thesimsresource.com/memb...ails/id/137864/ btw orangemittens your awesome
Very lovely paintings What do you mean by S3PE file extensions being tedious? If possible, post one of your .dds images that you made with the Gimp plugin...I'd like to see if the issue is the plugin by trying your .dds myself. I use nvidia and haven't had a problem with it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 2:35 AM
Very lovely paintings What do you mean by S3PE file extensions being tedious? If possible, post one of your .dds images that you made with the Gimp plugin...I'd like to see if the issue is the plugin by trying your .dds myself. I use nvidia and haven't had a problem with it.
Sure, and thanks for the complement once i stop messing around like a knuckle head and figure out how to do this im sure they will be nice

I have tried with different sizes my friend recommended 1024 x 1024 i sent her the uv map and the overlay but that new size didn't work it look the same. I'm attaching to my first post in 2 of the sizes i did the first and last size and they look the same on the painting blurry wise
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 2:40 AM Last edited by TDC95 : 1st Nov 2011 at 2:54 AM.
I'm going nuts trying to do this lol, i attached it

I don't think its TSR workshop because on one of my friends meshes i did some paintings and they came crystal clear.

It could be my .dds plugin like you where saying.

Let me know how it goes ill be waiting your response, orangemittens=
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 3:59 AM
How big did you make the mesh, you say one story big but how big is that?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 5:57 PM Last edited by TDC95 : 1st Nov 2011 at 6:32 PM.
How big did you make the mesh, you say one story big but how big is that?
It is really almost 3 story's tall, but it exceeds over the top and bottom a bit on 1 floor, so you could say 3 walls high. But thats the size
Alchemist
#23 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 11:56 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 2nd Nov 2011 at 12:10 AM.
It is really almost 3 story's tall, but it exceeds over the top and bottom a bit on 1 floor, so you could say 3 walls high. But thats the size
I made a painting using your .dds and the method I described in the tutorial I posted at SL. I made it a single Sim story tall. Here it is in-game with an EA painting next to it for comparison. I made this mesh and packaged it in about 2 minutes and didn't fix the shadow and didn't get the image mapping square on...but you get the idea.

It looks just fine in game and shows no blurriness. I think your issue is with some TSRW setting...probably your mask width and height. It isn't whatever you're using to make overlays with because this overlay works just fine. You could probably get it even sharper if you allocated more space on the map to the image part...on a 1024 x 1024 you have more room for expansion with this particular image. Maybe give s3oc/s3pe/3T a chance. Making a painting using these tools is very, very easy and fast.

ETA: Also, btw, a better way to guess how something is going to look in-game than looking in your image editor is to look at it in MS with the .dds applied to the mesh. That gives a pretty true estimation...if it looks ok there and not in-game then there is something going on with whatever you're using to change the mesh into a game object.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 12:03 AM
Thanks so much for updating me, yeah i think im starting to know what went wrong i didn't touch my UV map or any textures (exluding the over lay, and a bit of the multiplier), i basically just re-sized a EA mesh. I really am messed up lol, buts it my first object. I think ill give those tools another chance, i just made a fence and table, my meshing is fine but UV mapping is insane basically anything 2d for me lol, i really think it might be the mask now that you say it its the only thing i have yet to work with yet, my multiplier is still really small but even when i made a new big one it was still blurry. I think your my new BF now for helping me

Btw can i use the mesh i made with S3OC? i really don't want to start over again and i hope these tools work, if they dont i will honestly go nuts
Alchemist
#25 Old 2nd Nov 2011 at 12:14 AM
Thanks so much for updating me, yeah i think im starting to know what went wrong i didn't touch my UV map or any textures (exluding the over lay, and a bit of the multiplier), i basically just re-sized a EA mesh. I really am messed up lol, buts it my first object. I think ill give those tools another chance, i just made a fence and table, my meshing is fine but UV mapping is insane basically anything 2d for me lol, i really think it might be the mask now that you say it its the only thing i have yet to work with yet, my multiplier is still really small but even when i made a new big one it was still blurry. I think your my new BF now for helping me

Btw can i use the mesh i made with S3OC? i really don't want to start over again and i hope these tools work, if they dont i will honestly go nuts
NP The learning curve on making things for this game can be a little steep so most people, I think, end up with something not-optimal the first time around. Try mapping with MS if you aren't already. It's very straightforward...much easier than any other mapping method I've seen yet.

Not sure what you mean by can I use the mesh with s3oc. But with the s3oc/s3pe combo you can edit an object, try it in-game, edit it again to fix stuff, try it in game, and etc.
Page 1 of 5