Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2017 at 11:53 PM
Default biggest family you've played
I've often played max households, love playing big families. I finally decided to play more then 8 sims in a household and currently have 12 (couple and ten kids so far). It's a lot of fun. I wanted to hear other people's stories of playing big families.

I really like how organized it can be playing a big family like getting everyone up and fed in time for school has to be well timed and it can turn to chaos pretty easy as soon as someone gets in the way of a chair, suddenly four people haven't eaten and now there queue is totally screwed. But it's satisfying when it goes great and everyone is off to a good day. I think the shooless mod is a life saver because before it was a huge issue with bathrooms being constantly bombarded by the other family members, resulting in neither party using the damn bathroom.
And I find in big families, it seems there's a lot more interacting going on, like more siblings playing with each autonomously, more family time. In smaller families I find non directed sims will mostly go to the computer or tv for fun.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd May 2017 at 4:53 AM
My current overstuffed household is at 12 also. It's my version of the queen of hearts.

There are three servants, a really cool looking old lady maid, evil vampire Butler and gardening werewolf Butler. There's really no garden so the gardener gets to chill. So does the maid, because the vampire butler cleans everything, well in between scaring everyone and slapping people with his glove. The old lady maid seems to be crushing on the Butler, but he seems more interested in the queen. (Which is funny because I had him married with a kid to the queen in another save).

Then there is the queen and her evil brother,( and their families). They're enemies because they're fueding over who gets the castle. The queen is married to a warlock who has a teenage son. The warlock looks intimidating even with his double eye-patches buy he's actually good. His teenage son keeps knocking my flamingos over but luckily the rest of the household fixes them. The queen herself is neurotic, dislikes children and unaware that her long lost daughter is locked in one of the towers of the castle. Servants and her brother are aware of the girl but no one else. It's all part of her brothers convoluted plan to get the castle. (What that plan is I don't know yet, but I'll come up with something ).

The queen's brother, meanwhile, has a snobby teenage daughter and he's dating some bony who is your classic golddigger. Teenage daughter doesn't like anyone so she is up there with the Butler over who messes with people more. Pretty sure she has slapped her dad's girlfriend a couple times. But, she has a soft spot and secretly hangs out with her little cousin. Of course she probably has her own plans for ruining her father's plan.

I noticed the characters do interact more like you said. I even will have guests over and the AI seems to be working just fine with all the Sims on the lot.

I talk to myself but no one answers ;_;
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:12 AM
I played with 4 Sims once.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 23rd May 2017 at 4:46 PM
I had nine. I found out that the oldest sim gets bumped off the top as unselectable.

So, you have a house full of children, toddlers and babies and one of the Sims isn't going to help.

Sorry kids, one of you has to be sold for medical experiments...
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd May 2017 at 5:33 PM
Again as usual, there's a mod to fix the portrait panel! (at nraas, of course)

I had sixteen: an adult, an elder, a child, and the rest were mostly alien teenagers, not quite half of whom were imaginary friends come to life. Of course I had to play with high autonomy and frequent MC max motives. I broke up the household when I moved them, putting the teens I want to send to college in one house and distributing the others.

And immediately put the adult parent back to the beginning of adulthood and pollinated him with the local aliens, to bring different alien DNA into my community.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Natrocity
My current overstuffed household is at 12 also. It's my version of the queen of hearts.

There are three servants, a really cool looking old lady maid, evil vampire Butler and gardening werewolf Butler. There's really no garden so the gardener gets to chill. So does the maid, because the vampire butler cleans everything, well in between scaring everyone and slapping people with his glove. The old lady maid seems to be crushing on the Butler, but he seems more interested in the queen. (Which is funny because I had him married with a kid to the queen in another save).

Then there is the queen and her evil brother,( and their families). They're enemies because they're fueding over who gets the castle. The queen is married to a warlock who has a teenage son. The warlock looks intimidating even with his double eye-patches buy he's actually good. His teenage son keeps knocking my flamingos over but luckily the rest of the household fixes them. The queen herself is neurotic, dislikes children and unaware that her long lost daughter is locked in one of the towers of the castle. Servants and her brother are aware of the girl but no one else. It's all part of her brothers convoluted plan to get the castle. (What that plan is I don't know yet, but I'll come up with something ).

The queen's brother, meanwhile, has a snobby teenage daughter and he's dating some bony who is your classic golddigger. Teenage daughter doesn't like anyone so she is up there with the Butler over who messes with people more. Pretty sure she has slapped her dad's girlfriend a couple times. But, she has a soft spot and secretly hangs out with her little cousin. Of course she probably has her own plans for ruining her father's plan.

I noticed the characters do interact more like you said. I even will have guests over and the AI seems to be working just fine with all the Sims on the lot.

yay for 12!
Your household sounds deliciously weird haha.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I had nine. I found out that the oldest sim gets bumped off the top as unselectable.

So, you have a house full of children, toddlers and babies and one of the Sims isn't going to help.

Sorry kids, one of you has to be sold for medical experiments...

lol, too funny. I have portrait panel to show more then 8 side portraits
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th May 2017 at 2:04 AM
When I first got the game, I made a family composed of the "Survivors" of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. I haven't played a full house since.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 25th May 2017 at 2:11 AM
I like playing with one sim at a time. Is that wrong?
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 25th May 2017 at 4:34 AM Last edited by 310175 : 25th May 2017 at 4:51 AM.
I never thought I would want to deal with more than 8 but then, live and learn.
I started a game in SimMeapolis and for once, set StoryProgression's populating setting with hybrids and all kinds of supernaturals, something I usually avoid. Then I created a household with a mean-spirited magician with a daughter. They needed a roommate to make rent, so I added a male witch with a human sister.
In my head, the witch is nice but doesn't take the magician seriously while the mean-spirited magician is annoyed by the elitist witch that does "real" magic.
My human magician is woohooing all over the place with different supernaturals because I want to find out what hybrid children are like. She's kind of a slut and commitment-phobic and now there are all kinds of supernatural hybrid children in the house. The witch is now married to someone who has an alien son, who now is married to a vampire, suffice it to say, I have a lot of children in the household. The only one that moved out was the witch's human sister. That was before I decided to stuff a household with more than 8 sims.
There are 13 sims in the house at the moment. I like it since I can barely keep track but it makes for a nice change. I really can't control all of them as I usually do, which makes for more unexpected situations. I blame Arsil's napping mats that I even thought about it. If I had to haul toddlers in and out of the bloody crib day in and out, I would go insane. There are 4 at the moment. One infant with one more on the way. I think that will be it.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:48 AM
My biggest was 14 (counting the bots) I was making a Fallout vault-style playthrough, Assigning people into their specific duties, vault guard, overseer, workers, maintenance officers & so on. so yeah. It would've worked out if I didn't have intense fire mod on... Fricking experiment gone awry & the whole place caught on fire!

Well, they are all alive and well, I kind of sort of cheated to take the fire out a couple times... (normal sims just can't fight fires with intensive fire mods), and besides, it was an accident, that scientist didn't meant to blew up her lab, and her future husband did tried to help, and the room was surrounded by a pool but the fire jumped! Cmon, why can't I cheat if the fire fricking cheated...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th May 2017 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonerbum
It would've worked out if I didn't have intense fire mod on... Fricking experiment gone awry & the whole place caught on fire!

Your experience reminds me of how my longest ran RimWorld Colony went bust. Batteries got hit by lightning and the fire that resulted was so intense that my guys all melted simply by going near it to try to put it out!

Largest is my household of supernatural boys. 10 sims and 4 pets. Goal was way more but I had to put it on hold due to crashing. I think the sheer size of the lot and all the individual rooms + the massive world I was using just pushed the game into the ground and I forgot how to resuscitate it proper. Got it all backed up on a usb if ever I feel like grabbing a wrench and trying again heh.

Quote:
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — internet and cats. 🎮 + 🐱 = 😇 Link To My Sims 3 Warrior Cat Setup
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th May 2017 at 2:39 PM
I normally ran at 6-8 sims and that kept me busy enough.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th May 2017 at 1:08 PM
I played with 14 sims plus 2 dogs for a short while.
I have a family of seven that I often play with - two parents and their five teenage children and two dogs - but in one game I also soon added a frequently visiting male alien and eventually a female genie. The two parents woohooed in a time machine and came back with a son from the stone age; he fell in love with the family's butler, so they married and she became a part of the family as well. The alien male and one of the family's daughters also developed feelings and became a couple. And both those new couples had one child each. One of those two children got an imaginary friend, whom I eventually made real. So 14 sims plus two dogs, a bit of a challenge to manage, but a fun challenge.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th May 2017 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
I never thought I would want to deal with more than 8 but then, live and learn.
I started a game in SimMeapolis and for once, set StoryProgression's populating setting with hybrids and all kinds of supernaturals, something I usually avoid. Then I created a household with a mean-spirited magician with a daughter. They needed a roommate to make rent, so I added a male witch with a human sister.
In my head, the witch is nice but doesn't take the magician seriously while the mean-spirited magician is annoyed by the elitist witch that does "real" magic.
My human magician is woohooing all over the place with different supernaturals because I want to find out what hybrid children are like. She's kind of a slut and commitment-phobic and now there are all kinds of supernatural hybrid children in the house. The witch is now married to someone who has an alien son, who now is married to a vampire, suffice it to say, I have a lot of children in the household. The only one that moved out was the witch's human sister. That was before I decided to stuff a household with more than 8 sims.
There are 13 sims in the house at the moment. I like it since I can barely keep track but it makes for a nice change. I really can't control all of them as I usually do, which makes for more unexpected situations. I blame Arsil's napping mats that I even thought about it. If I had to haul toddlers in and out of the bloody crib day in and out, I would go insane. There are 4 at the moment. One infant with one more on the way. I think that will be it.

i love those napping maps!! without it, toddlers would be so much harder.
Scholar
#16 Old 28th May 2017 at 9:03 PM
I once had this overstuffed household that started off with 8 teens, but I gradually moved in a few more households of 8 sims, until I had 32(?) of them. In a 4BR 2BA house. Chaos ensued. It required an insane amount of micromanagement, and yet they got to stretch their free will further than most of my households do. It was really fun, in a weird stressful kind of way?

(the yard ended up with a small campsite and the garage was converted into rows of toilet and shower stalls. even so, facilities were stretched)

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 28th May 2017 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annoellyn
yay for 12!
Your household sounds deliciously weird haha.

Aw thanks.

Quote: Originally posted by Pillowkitty6
Largest is my household of supernatural boys. 10 sims and 4 pets. Goal was way more but I had to put it on hold due to crashing. I think the sheer size of the lot and all the individual rooms + the massive world I was using just pushed the game into the ground and I forgot how to resuscitate it proper. Got it all backed up on a usb if ever I feel like grabbing a wrench and trying again heh.

My solution(that I hope works) is playing a smol world with itty bitty lots(well medium sized lots). I am currently playing my wonderland on the Custom world Mysterious Island. It's got four lots and I've added a houseboat. This being TS3, what could possibly go wrong

I talk to myself but no one answers ;_;
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th May 2017 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gingerxyz
I once had this overstuffed household that started off with 8 teens, but I gradually moved in a few more households of 8 sims, until I had 32(?) of them. In a 4BR 2BA house. Chaos ensued. It required an insane amount of micromanagement, and yet they got to stretch their free will further than most of my households do. It was really fun, in a weird stressful kind of way?

(the yard ended up with a small campsite and the garage was converted into rows of toilet and shower stalls. even so, facilities were stretched)

That sounds like how mine is evolving haha. I started out with normal house, now at 16 sims I have a room that's all toilets and showers. I gave up on beds and there is a wall of sleeping bags lol. I figure kids love sleeping in sleeping bags. toddler mats are everywhere. And YES to free will being way more used but yet are highly managed. I find that mine are hugely micromanaged in the mornings and after school/work to get everyone fed and toileted (new word i made up) before work, and getting everyone happy after work. then they literally do whatever they want and I just constantly scroll through the sims directing them to eat, toilet, and sleep as needed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th May 2017 at 9:34 PM
So has anyone had there game crash due to too many sims? I haven't yet but just curious.
Scholar
#20 Old 28th May 2017 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annoellyn
That sounds like how mine is evolving haha. I started out with normal house, now at 16 sims I have a room that's all toilets and showers. I gave up on beds and there is a wall of sleeping bags lol. I figure kids love sleeping in sleeping bags. toddler mats are everywhere. And YES to free will being way more used but yet are highly managed. I find that mine are hugely micromanaged in the mornings and after school/work to get everyone fed and toileted (new word i made up) before work, and getting everyone happy after work. then they literally do whatever they want and I just constantly scroll through the sims directing them to eat, toilet, and sleep as needed.

Yup, that's exactly it! Trying to keep everyone's needs out of the red takes up all your time, so they pretty much get to run free otherwise!

One of the biggest issues I faced was feeding everyone. For that household I had a rule that they couldn't buy any of their ingredients in a shop, it all had to be grown or caught or found. This meant that my recipe options were limited, depending on what ingredients they had in stock, some sims couldn't cook anything. Only one of them had any cooking skill points, so he got put on food prep duty a lot. And even though I tried to keep the fridge stocked with leftovers, I just couldn't keep up with them! And I also had trouble keeping up with all the dirty dishes!

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th May 2017 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gingerxyz
Yup, that's exactly it! Trying to keep everyone's needs out of the red takes up all your time, so they pretty much get to run free otherwise!

One of the biggest issues I faced was feeding everyone. For that household I had a rule that they couldn't buy any of their ingredients in a shop, it all had to be grown or caught or found. This meant that my recipe options were limited, depending on what ingredients they had in stock, some sims couldn't cook anything. Only one of them had any cooking skill points, so he got put on food prep duty a lot. And even though I tried to keep the fridge stocked with leftovers, I just couldn't keep up with them! And I also had trouble keeping up with all the dirty dishes!

I feel you! My mom sim spends most of her mornings just cooking batches of food but it doesn't last long and one routing issue to the fridge means I have to redo four people's carefully plotted queue. I've learned that having multiple fridges can help with that. And I HATE when a sim child just plops down and starts playing with that stupid imaginary doll and creates a routing issue lol. Yeah sure, just sit there in front of the shower/fridge/toilet. No one needs those. Dishes suck but I can't imagine how 30 sims leaving dishes must be haha.
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th May 2017 at 12:28 PM
My first household with TS3 was four guys, all roomates, and of course they eventually moved out and all but one got married and had kids. Once I got the Supernatural expansion I turned the one of the four guys who was still single into a vampire and he then made the other three into vampires too and they, and all their spouses and children moved into a big house (11 sims in total) and all the non-vampire sims had to serve the non-vampire sims and clean up their figurative messes. It was so difficult making sure the vamp guys didn't go out in the sun when they somehow woke up in the middle of the day and wandered out into the garden while ensuring the kids didn't starve to death and got good school grades and also keeping the spouses holding down full-time jobs.
Instructor
#23 Old 30th May 2017 at 6:38 PM
This happened a while ago. I have no idea where they all came from.

Seriously, I have no idea where they came from, as in: I clicked Nraas>AddSim *Oh, you look good, and you, and I need a Llama or two as well!*

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 7:30 PM
Mine was 20. I played for 20 minutes long, then my game crashed, for a usual stupid reason. Hmm. 20 sims, 20 minutes. Strange.