Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#24951 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 7:00 PM
I did some digging into the SimPE files and found out that children can teach from the podium, but can't study because of one little box not checked. Needless to say, I have done some editing with my file and now the children CAN BE TAUGHT! *slapping graduation caps on the little head*
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#24952 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
Just FYI...if you buy and sell back a cemetery there is a known glitch that any new tombstones may not appear in build mode and only in live mode when you play with a sim and send them over to the cemetery. I know this because I just dealt with it I tried sending it to a different lot and back, putting it in their inventory and then placing it where I wanted it...it still wouldn't show up in buy/build mode.

The only thing that fixed it was re-building another cemetery and having a sim move all the tombstones to the new one.

Oh, thank you for the warning - maybe that was the problem I had. Were the new tombstones sent to the lot while it was without an owner?
Field Researcher
#24953 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 11:01 PM
Is there a want for an anniversary party? I've only seen sports, wedding, and birthday party ones so far.
Link Ninja
#24954 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WildIrishBanshee
Is there a want for an anniversary party? I've only seen sports, wedding, and birthday party ones so far.

I have never seen a specific one for a party but I have seen the aspiration 'Reach Golden Anniversary' and the only way I know to fulfill it is to have the anniversary party. Also anniversary parties, I think fill a want to have 'party' just like birthday parties fill the want for generic 'party'

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#24955 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 12:00 AM
It's possible the want might appear when they become elders (but I'm not sure if there even is a want). It's been so long since i played with elders in my game, I'm not sure if I ever played through the scenario (I don't think so).

From the wiki:
"Golden Anniversary Party - This party can be thrown anytime after a couple who married/joined as adults both become elders; it's the same as a house party, but all guests show up in formal clothing."
Mad Poster
#24956 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 12:12 AM
Not that I'm exactly the most experienced player, but I've only ever seen a GA Party wish come up for Sims when they were elders (apart from those who had it as a lifetime wish, obviously!)

I do know that any "party" (sports, birthday, GA, whatever) will fulfill the wish to "throw a party" though... it's kind of like the difference between a wish to "play with XXXXX" and a wish to "tickle XXXXX" - one fulfills the other, but not vice-versa.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
#24957 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 12:37 AM
I knew about those, just wasn't sure on an actual anniversary want, thanks! Haven't had enough sims reach that age yet. :p
Mad Poster
#24958 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by icemandeaf
I did some digging into the SimPE files and found out that children can teach from the podium, but can't study because of one little box not checked. Needless to say, I have done some editing with my file and now the children CAN BE TAUGHT! *slapping graduation caps on the little head*

Which box is this? Would be useful to know.
Forum Resident
#24959 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:21 AM
Thanks to the discussion of skin tones on the Random Thoughts thread, I've included skin tones other than defaults in my game (thanks to all those involved in that discussion; I've only added a few, but I love the greater range of tones), and I've started experimenting with default eyes and might add custom eyes if I find ones I love - I don't want things I don't like but can't be rid of in my game.

That said, the random thoughts thread also brought up body overlays for body hair - my defaults have body hair, but the new custom skins don't, so I'm considering the overlays (tattoos might be fun, too). I'm unsure about the overlays, though - how hard are they to get rid of once in the game? Would I have to remove an overlay from every sim that has one before removing the packages from the downloads folder to prevent the sim from glitching or making their lot unloadable, or would removing the packages just remove the overlay as if it were never there? Finally, how much lag do overlays add - is it a one-time delay as the overlay is applied to a sim, or do overlays add significantly to lot loading time?
Lab Assistant
#24960 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Which box is this? Would be useful to know.

In Part 2 (which is the file for the notebook), there is a Pie Menu Function (TTAB) named "untitled tree table". Checking "children" will enable to notebook to be used by children.

(I hope that was clear. I just finished a long day and about to crawl into bed, so my mind is a little mushed at the moment. If it isn't, just ask me and I'll try to make is more clear tomorrow.)
Undead Molten Llama
#24961 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
That said, the random thoughts thread also brought up body overlays for body hair - my defaults have body hair, but the new custom skins don't, so I'm considering the overlays (tattoos might be fun, too). I'm unsure about the overlays, though - how hard are they to get rid of once in the game? Would I have to remove an overlay from every sim that has one before removing the packages from the downloads folder to prevent the sim from glitching or making their lot unloadable, or would removing the packages just remove the overlay as if it were never there? Finally, how much lag do overlays add - is it a one-time delay as the overlay is applied to a sim, or do overlays add significantly to lot loading time?

I'm not quite sure about what will happen if you remove the packages from your game. I tend to think the overlays will just disappear and that will be that. But I could be wrong. It's not something I'd ever remove, personally. But, you could try it with a single Sim you don't care about in a throwaway hood. Put hair on 'em, then exit and delete the overlay box and its associated files. Go back in and see what happens.

I do know that it doesn't create lag, at least not a huge one. Might take a second until the Sim starts wearing his/her hair (I have a female overlay box, too), but it's not drastic at all. Basically, it'll be the same lag you'll have if, for instance, your Sim gets heatstroke or freezes, since the overlay boxes use the same mechanism to generate the overlay. (That's why they require Seasons, after all. ) I don't think it affects lot-loading time at all.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#24962 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I tend to think the overlays will just disappear and that will be that.

You're right - they just disappear and loading the lot wasn't a problem. The lag applying the overlay was hardly worth mentioning, either. It certainly wasn't hard to test (though I've been in my test hood almost too much since yesterday) and I think I'm just looking for things to become stressed over. I'm going to stop doing that now and go look for nice overlays. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Undead Molten Llama
#24963 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:18 AM
You're welcome. There are lots of tattoo overlays at GOS, if you're interested in those.

Although, on that note, I have to say that I tend to think that most overlaid tattoos look...I don't know...too saturated, maybe? Like they look like they're painted on rather than a part of the Sim's skin. Maybe that's just a consequence of them being an overlay, but then I tend to think the same of skintones that have tattoos. I'm wondering if going into the files of a tattoo box and maybe making the images a bit transparent might affect this and might make them look more part of the skin rather than something painted on. Has anyone ever tried this or seen anything about it?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#24964 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icemandeaf
In Part 2 (which is the file for the notebook), there is a Pie Menu Function (TTAB) named "untitled tree table". Checking "children" will enable to notebook to be used by children.

This is a bit of an overly simplified truth. It is true that the box needs to be ticked for a pie menu option to be available for that age group, but checking it does not necessarily mean it will work. It's definitely worth testing, because sometimes that's all it needs, but whether or not a pie menu option is available and functional depends on it's guardian bhav and action bhavs. They sometimes have age group checks, which will prevent it from working even if you check/uncheck the corresponding box, and they may have other things in them that makes it error if you try to use it on an age group it's not intended for. Worth a shot, but keep in mind that setting that box does not mean it will work, and it may cause errors so test properly in a test environment first.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#24965 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
Oh, thank you for the warning - maybe that was the problem I had. Were the new tombstones sent to the lot while it was without an owner?

Yes, I just had a sim visiting the cemetery move them all over there.
Lab Assistant
#24966 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
This is a bit of an overly simplified truth. It is true that the box needs to be ticked for a pie menu option to be available for that age group, but checking it does not necessarily mean it will work. It's definitely worth testing, because sometimes that's all it needs, but whether or not a pie menu option is available and functional depends on it's guardian bhav and action bhavs. They sometimes have age group checks, which will prevent it from working even if you check/uncheck the corresponding box, and they may have other things in them that makes it error if you try to use it on an age group it's not intended for. Worth a shot, but keep in mind that setting that box does not mean it will work, and it may cause errors so test properly in a test environment first.

I did test it in a test hood with an adult teaching his son cooking, and it worked just fine. The child was called to the notebook and learned the skill points. I didn't see any errors come up. The only reason I decided to try it was because I saw there were bhavs for children to learn but couldn't get them to actually do anything until I checked that one box. I will do a closer testing on it the next time I get a chance, though. Thanks for the word of caution.
Mad Poster
#24967 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:00 PM
I'm sorry, I may have been unclear I don't doubt that your edit works. If you tried it, and it works with no errors, then it was one of those times when that's all the editing it takes. Those cases do exist, and it's definitely worth trying as a first resort. But others who read your post and decide to try it, may not be as lucky, and then it can be good to know that it's more complex than a box on the TTAB. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't But that it might not work is no reason not to try in the safe environment of a test hood.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#24968 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 12:00 AM
I've been playing with new tattoos and body hair overlays in my test 'hood and like them, but I got to thinking that adding an overlay to every sim in my hood that I want to have hair could be a pain. Overlays would be great for sims that I want to have more hair than my 'hood's norm, but I'd like that norm to be a little bit more than waxed chests. I've already got defaults with hair, and one of the overlays I found has hair textures similar to what I'd like to use with two of my other, non-default skintones.

I've been testing this: First, I backed up my files. Using SimPE, I exported the texture files from the skintone package, and then edited them by adding the hair as layer, and then imported the new images back into the skintone package to replace the textures. In my test game, I had a sim using the custom skin from before my edits, and when opening the game - he now had hair. That suggests to me that what I did was safe and I can continue with edits to the other ages and skintones I want to tweak, since I didn't mess with the genetics at all. However, I want confirmation that I'm going about this the right way - is this safe for my game?
Alchemist
#24969 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 1:24 AM
Can people who have M&G, but not AL shift things up and down on walls?
Lab Assistant
#24970 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 4:28 AM
@gummilutt I see you point. To be honest, I was quite surprised that it seemed to work. I almost doubted myself for a moment even after I had tested it. You are right. Better to be safe than sorry and ruin your favorite hood. ;-)
Undead Molten Llama
#24971 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 7:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Can people who have M&G, but not AL shift things up and down on walls?

Nope. You have to have AL to shift things. I had M&G for a while (via the Fun With Pets collection) before I got AL as well, and was disappointed at the lack of shifting. Getting the shifting was one of the main reasons I decided to get AL. I'd been holding off because my mod collection was up-to-Freetime and I wasn't looking forward to tracking down updated versions of everything...but since, so I discovered, I had to do that anyway because of M&G, there was no reason not to get AL at that point.

Unrelated, but you also have to have AL for the "life skills" like couples counseling and parenting and such to work properly. If you have just M&G, the options will be there when you click on a bookcase, but when you tell a Sim to study one of those things, there's an error. However, those things WILL work if you click on a loose book and tell the Sim to study a life skill. I really don't know why.

@stitching: I don't think that screwing around with skintones could possibly screw up your game/neighborhood. At worst, the Sims you're messing with will lose their skin genetics and revert to S2 (or your default thereof.) Which is something easily fixed in SimPE if it comes to that. I'm still dealing with the fallout of deleting a bunch of skins out of my own game.

Mad Poster
#24972 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 7:43 AM
Sims often ignore the compost bin for the garbage can. I know that deleting the mailbox has bad side-effects, but what about the garbage can? (Or even sticking it someplace inaccessible, such as under a roof.) If it's a bad idea, is there a way to force Sims to use the composter instead?
Undead Molten Llama
#24973 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 8:02 AM
I have deleted the garbage can on occasion, and it doesn't cause any issues with the lot so far as I've seen, but it will cause some playing issues. For instance, if you have no sink in the house, Sims would normally throw away dishes in the garbage can instead. I thought, "more compost!" and deleted the garbage can, thinking they'd use the composter instead. But they don't. The dishes just disappear instead. Also, the garbage can is the next thing the Sim will go to if they can't empty a toddler potty in a toilet. If there's no garbage can and they can't get to a toilet, they'll dump the contents on the floor...which you can then compost, but it's an extra step, and if you aren't paying attention when it happens, then you might end up with roaches and illness such. So, I don't think it's necessarily a "bad thing" in a VBT sort of way, but it might not work like you're expecting.

I have a mod in my game -- I think it's Cyjon's -- that is supposed to widen composter use, but it doesn't seem to do much in my game. It might not be working due a conflict with something else, though, so you might want to find that. EDIT: Yeah, Cyjon's. It's here: http://cyjon.net/node/63

Mad Poster
#24974 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 8:07 AM
Sink or no sink - many of my Sims use to garbage can to "clean" their dishes (something I am tempted to do myself in RL quite often).
Forum Resident
#24975 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
@stitching: I don't think that screwing around with skintones could possibly screw up your game/neighborhood. At worst, the Sims you're messing with will lose their skin genetics and revert to S2 (or your default thereof.) Which is something easily fixed in SimPE if it comes to that. I'm still dealing with the fallout of deleting a bunch of skins out of my own game.

Thank you for that - I didn't know what happened when their skin went missing, and my search attempts to find out just lead me to tutorials on creating skintones, cc skintones, and sites with information for Sims 3. I've got one skintone edited, and when I placed the change in my test 'hood, the sim with the old skin now had the changes I'd made; based on that, I think I'm going about altering the textures the right way and not messing up the rest of the package.
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: 1000 pages.... time to start a new one!
Page 999 of 1000