Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:03 AM Last edited by Delphy : 28th Sep 2009 at 8:56 PM.
Default Donation Drive - 2009 - Update: Drive finished!
Hi All,

As everybody knows, MTS is one of the largest and busiest Sims 2 and 3 fansites around, offering many thousands of high quality downloads, creation help, game discussion and more! Running a site this large takes a lot of stuff on the back end: eight servers, and a metric boatload of bandwidth. Long term members of the site will recall that, occasionally, we do a donation drive just to make sure that we are covered in the event of any hardware or server problems, and in case of any other unexpected costs.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce the 2009 Donation Drive for MTS. This is actually the first time since March 2008 that we've actively asked for donations - that's over a year and a half ago. Our costs this year are higher than when we did the donation drive last year due to the addition of another database server and general hardware upgrades. This site currently costs $2,200 a month to run.

The goal of this donation drive is to raise 2 months' worth of server fees, which can cover any overages and hardware maintenance issues for the foreseeable future. This gives us a bit of a "safety net" in case of unpredictedcosts, and can help smooth out the site finances as ad revenue fluctuates from month to month. For two months' server fees, our target figure is: $4,400.

The graph at the top of the page will update in real time to reflect the number of donations, so you see how close we are to our goal. Note that people who have already donated won't see the banner message.

Every person who donates will get a little supporter heart on thier user profile, and you can read more about the donation benefits here: http://www.modthesims.info/donate.php

Please try and give a little - even if it's not much! Every little bit helps, especially for a site this large.

Just as a couple side notes:
  • If you do not have a Paypal account: You can still donate using a credit card through Paypal without linking your credit card or bank account to Paypal. It's quick and easy whether you currently use Paypal or not.
  • If you prefer not to use Paypal whatsoever: If you prefer to contribute in another way, you can purchase items through our Amazon Store Link - just follow that link before making Amazon purchases (even if they're nothing sim related) to help out the site. It's a less direct way and gives a much smaller amount, but if you were already planning on placing an Amazon order, you can help us while buying books.

MTS is and always will be free to use - while donation can come with some minor perks, we're dedicated to keeping the site running smoothly for everyone. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who has donated in the past, and also everybody who is willing to donate in this current drive. Your help is very much appreciated!

Update 28th September. Donation drive is finished! We reached out goal, and it only took 3 days. You guys are incredible and I'd like to thank each and every one of you who donated! Thank you!

(If you donated and didn't get your heart please let me know in this thread or via PM - thanks!)

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
12 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:31 AM
I'd like to donate a little something but I had issues with Paypal so I won't use it again and the store is kind of old. Is there any other way to donate?
Banned
#3 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:38 AM
The fact that this site is so wonderful and everything is FREE makes me want to donate.

But just like cass, I have to ask my parents.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:43 AM
lanawinst: The only 2 direct options are to buy something from the Amazon store, or to donate via Paypal.

You can actually buy normal stuff off Amazon using the following link: http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UT...creative=380557 - this way you can select anything at all and it should give us a little bit.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Alchemist
#5 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:48 AM
I wish there was another way to donate! :D

But i'll ask my mum also and see what she says

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Test Subject
#6 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:58 AM
aww man!! i wish i could donate but my parent's will say no...srry =[, good luck tho and keep up the good work!!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 2:00 AM
um...i feel old now...happily donated may start subscribing if my monthly income increases a bit, I barely cope now!

My Sims 3 Creations
Nothing matters. We're essentially all highly evolved monkeys clinging to a rock that's falling through space and the rock itself is dying. Frankie Boyle.
Just call me sam its easier.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 2:05 AM
Delphy, I'm a bit like lanawinst. I have wanted to donate for a while now but do not wish to join PayPal. Can I donate using my credit card *via* PayPal without actually having to open an account?
Inventor
#9 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 2:20 AM
Feels old with a backaccount and paypal of her own too now... *donates*
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#10 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 2:30 AM Last edited by Elephant : 25th Sep 2009 at 2:58 AM.
Well, now I actually have my own PayPal account, and usually have some income from Photography jobs... I need to send some money first, but I think I'll donate afterwords.

EDIT: Alrighty! I'm now an "MTS Addict"
Mother Function
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:25 AM Last edited by daluved1 : 25th Sep 2009 at 3:36 AM.
Hmmm I donated but I kinda forgot to type in my username before submitting =/

I have the confirmation note and all that jazz, so...yeah.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Banned
#12 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:26 AM
If you purchase from the amazon store do you get a heart?

Also the link you provided above lets you purchase anything from the amazon store, including mp3 downloads?
Banned
#13 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joninmobile
If you purchase from the amazon store do you get a heart?

Nope. But you get stuff. You know since you aren't technically donating.
Banned
#14 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:41 AM
how are you not technically donating, if it's linked with mts?

Edit:

Oh I see you have to make a one time donation in order to get a heart. Well that shouldn't be a problem. And next time I buy from amazon.com I will be sure to use the link provided above, hopefully I can buy mp3s while supporting mts at the same time.
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:42 AM
Happy Donator here!! Love the site! Keep up the great work!!
Hugz from Monterey, California

I don't like you well enough to lie to you!
Banned
#16 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:16 AM
I suppose you could think of it as the same difference as volunteering and working.

You get payed to work, but not to volunteer. You see what I'm saying, joninmobile?
Banned
#17 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:18 AM
Is it because mts only gets a small percentage from purchases made from the amazon store?
Banned
#18 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:23 AM
Ok so if you just donate, you're giving MTS your money, and technically aren't getting anything for it.
If you buy something, then you are giving MTS your money, but you are getting something for it.

Sorry, I just get frustrated when I can't explain things clearly.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supaclova
Ok so if you just donate, you're giving MTS your money, and technically aren't getting anything for it.

You are getting something for it. Free content, tutorials and great advice. Not to mention, self gratification.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#20 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:41 AM
Delphy, and Staff I remember your last donation drive, I donated then and also at different times after the drive was over. I think you all work hard, to run this site and answer all of our questions when needed. For me to donate again is not a problem, I am more than happy to do so. But it will not be until the early part of the weeks of October coming up that I will do so with pleasure.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
#21 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 5:13 AM
I donated 5US$. Its not much but, I really love and appreciate this site and it was what I could spare.

I just what to emphasise that I really adore this site.
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#22 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 5:45 AM
I just donate but I haven't received a PM (as written in the text saying "thank you for donating...") and I have always the banner on the top of the page.

Sorry I can't take requests anymore!
And I will probably never convert my creations for TS2 to TS3.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by -Maylin-
I just donate but I haven't received a PM (as written in the text saying "thank you for donating...") and I have always the banner on the top of the page.

Same here. Maybe it just takes a while to update?

Remember, being paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:45 AM
If my parents agree with donate to MTS, I would surely do it! But I think they won't. Maybe I can donate when I have my birthday? (soon!) As... A birthdaygift for me to MTS.

Good luck anyways!

Creator and owner of SimsShine
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#25 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:51 AM
The Simolean icon replaced my creator icon... Could Delphy or HP fix it?
Page 1 of 7