Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 6:55 PM Last edited by Delphy : 1st May 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Default Fileserver crash - how YOU can help!
Downloads were down for a while...

If you're a regular visitor to MTS, you probably noticed the big message across the top for a few days saying that downloads and uploads were down, with an expected fix date that kept getting pushed back.

This was due to an unexpected crash of the fileserver (Chii). Chii had been running just fine for months since the server switch in mid-October of last year, but then all at once wouldn't boot. Turns out both her primary hard drive running the operating system and the backup drive failed at the same time, corrupting a portion of the files on both drives in the process.

More technical information (for those who understand such mumbo-jumbo and are curious) is available in this thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=321390

But they're back up now...

We have gotten a new dataserver (since for both drives to fail in Chii at the same time means there is definitely a Very Bad hardware issue) and Delphy has set up Chii v2 with all the needed technical gubbins to function as our download server. He has also transferred over all of the recovered files from the old hard drives and downloading (and uploading) is working again on MTS.

However... (dammit)

There are still quite a few missing files. Much of the files since October of last year were corrupted in the crash and were not able to be recovered - yet. We are looking into getting the hard drives from the server host so we can do a more intensive file recovery, but in the mean time, there are a lot of threads which are missing files.

Any threads that has lost files will display this message:

Quote:
Attention! This thread may have one or more missing files, as per the recent fileserver crash. See here for the details. Want to help? See here for details.

Which links to this thread for more info, and this one on how to help.

How you can help...

There's a lot more info in detail on those two links above, but in short:

If you are a creator:
Check your threads for that banner. If you see it, it means your files are missing. Please reupload them ASAP. See here on how to do that properly without losing your download stats.

If you are a downloader:
Check your Downloads folder (or any zips/rars you have of MTS2 downloads still hanging around) against this list to see if you have any of the files - or check to see if you have any needed files if you notice a thread with that banner.

If you do have the files, zip or rar them up using the original filename, attach them to the thread with the missing files in a new post, and report the first post. here for more detailed instructions.

In summary...

Server went boom in a freak technological wtf. In an even greater wtf, the backup which should have covered our asses went boom at the same time. This sucks. We got back most of the files, but some are still missing - help us recover them by re-uploading any files you have.

Sorry, and thank you...

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience and understanding. The messages we've gotten about this have been overwhelmingly supportive and positive, sympathetic to the giant headache this has been, with relatively few whiners, and we really do appreciate that.

We're also amazed at the response from the community on helping upload the missing files already - we're inundated with reports and files to fix, which, while a lot of work, is a very good thing and just goes to show how many fantastic, helpful folks we have in the MTS community. You guys rule!
Screenshots

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
26 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 11:29 PM
i <3 modthesims2!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 11:44 PM
I´ve upload some of my files, but most of my other files are on my 2´nd pc and i cann´t upload them because my pc has a crash . And now I want to know what to do???

All people smile in the same language.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:19 AM
You guys there, severly rule ! Thanks for all the pain you're goin' throught for us !

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Not actually evil.
#5 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:24 AM
play_jarus Put a note in your journal asking downloaders if they have some of your files. They can attach them in a post in your threads, and then tell the mods. I'll see if I have any of your missing files.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:43 AM
I uploaded four of mine that were lost. I do have a question, should i check all of my uploads as I checked quite a few from before oct 2008 and they all seemed to be there.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:56 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 15th Mar 2009 at 5:48 AM.
Christine11778, look at this list: http://www.modthesims2.com/missingfiles.html -- it's not up to date right now, since we've already recovered about 2000 files I think (the list is still the one from right after the crash), but anything that is NOT on the list has never been lost in the first place.

(Search for your user name with cmd-F / ctrl-F, that way you'll see all your threads that were affected)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 1:14 AM
I'm glad you guys are back up and running. It's a shame you had to go through the technical abyss but I'm glad you found your way through it and are back!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 1:41 AM
Well, this will teach me not to keep a backup of my uploads. Ah well. I have got a few of the files back though, so I'm happy and very grateful for that.

At least it's up and running, and if things go belly up, I can always do a "back to basics" thing and delete and upload all over again. Oh well, it will be fun! :D

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 3:18 AM
Thank you all so much for your hard work in getting things working again!

I'll definitely be looking through the list and my download folders to see if I have any of them.

I'm sorry it had to happen in the first place, but I'm happy things are where they are now.

I'm happy to be apart of a community of people helping each other like this.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#11 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 3:40 AM
As pbox said in chat...

crowdsourced backup. very web 2.0.

:P

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 4:26 AM
I have a question. I uploaded missing files to several threads, but can't use the report function because someone else used it earlier. How do I let you know where files have been added in such a case?

Concerning my uploads you could just go through the list of my posts to find them, I never posted anything else here until now.

But probably I am not the only one with this problem?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#13 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 4:59 AM
AzureDragon, you can report one of the other posts in the thread instead.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 5:48 AM
I WANT TO HELP!
I've run a quick search on my main data Drive and found ''7196'' files starting by ''MTS2_'' in their Original Container eg (.rar & .zip)
Most of them between now and Summer 2008 ,I have lots more on other disk.

is there a quick way to find the ones you are missing!!!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 5:47 AM
http://www.modthesims2.com/missingfiles.html

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 5:51 AM
Thank you for your answer, Delphy. I must admit I just found it in the thread with the detailed instructions because I missed to read all of it earlier and only got as far as neccessary for uploading.

Sorry for not paying better attention.

*runs off to find more files and to avoid wasting other people's precious time further*
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 5:53 AM
I know i've downloaded the list, but its a mile long and i probably have about 20% of them,it would take days to search them 1 by 1
(any suggestion)!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 7:03 AM
Funny, I have recently cleaned up my download folder of the thousands of MTS2_*.rar I had there lol
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 7:15 AM
WTG on the recovery! (Sorry about the headaches.) Having just gone through this with BOTH my PC and my laptop within the last three months, I definitely understand your pain.

I'll do my best to figure out where I put my file package, and put it back up. Since I've been downloading quite a bit over the last 30 days, it should be easy to check and see what I've grabbed and if it's been updated since October. If it has, I'll try to add back in files.

NOTE - COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOOB QUESTION FOLLOWS (Apologies for posting this here and not somewhere else!)

Dumb question: How do I start a forum thread for a question? I .. hate to even say this (I feel so dumb!) but I can't even find a normal forum link. All I can seem to find is downloads, and no topic list. (Sorry!)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 8:11 AM
Thank you guys for all your hard work getting things back online. It is really appreciated!

Netjera,

It depends on the question. Game help is here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Creator help is here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Inventor
#21 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 9:13 AM
Thank you for all the work your doing to get everything back and for the step by step directions to reupload missing files. It toke me about 5 hours yesterday to check the list, find my backups and get all my own files back in place again.
I noticed that some of my threads were not tagged as corrupted although they appeared on the missing files list, so just to be sure I reoploaded them too.
I'm sorry I can't be of much help with files of other creators, as my new download police is to immidiately unwrap and discarding of the .rar or .zip file.
I wish you the very best of luck with the whole recovery operation and thank you for the best sims-site ever!!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
play_jarus Put a note in your journal asking downloaders if they have some of your files. They can attach them in a post in your threads, and then tell the mods. I'll see if I have any of your missing files.

Thank you.

All people smile in the same language.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
I noticed that some of my threads were not tagged as corrupted although they appeared on the missing files list, so just to be sure I reuploaded them too.

Ouch, you didn't need to do that -- no flag means they had already been repaired! The missing files lists are only compiled once a day or so, they don't necessarily reflect the current state. Well, it can't hurt that you repaired them a second time =)

Other creators: don't just go by the list -- if an upload has no flag, it's likely that the files are already restored. To be sure whether or not a file is ok, just try to download it -- if you get a 404 error, that file is missing; everything else (even a 503 error; server too busy) means the file is there.

Instructor
#24 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 1:55 PM
I'm just amazed by how fast the site was up and running and almost-all-there again after this kind of hardware disaster. Can't imagine how much of the last several days Delphy must have spent up to his elbows in computer guts (hard AND soft), and now here we are with most of the site just fine and the last several months being pieced back together (and that part is pretty amazing too).
Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 3:32 PM
All I have to say is THANK YOU FOR TAKING UP 3 GIGABYTES OF HARD SPACE ON MY COMPUTER WOOT! :D
Page 1 of 3