Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 3:03 AM
Default new alpha mesh won't grab subsets & recolors.
Sorry about the title, it does not say much.
I added an alpha mesh to a maxis outfit that I am defaulting.
I already know how to add an alpha mesh, but for some reason I cannot figure out why it only grabs the texture that is linked to in the shape/part tab.
It seems to me that the other subsets are made like cc recolors...but they are all default options.
This outfit has 6 subsets for one mesh...and while the body mesh grabs all 6 of them, my alpha only shows the first one regardless of the subset i choose in BS.
I added all subset names in gmnd, I added my alpha group reference everywhere etc.
If I change the subset name in shape/part, then my alpha mesh change color as well...
Since this mesh has subsets, there is already a tsDesignModeEnabled, and I added my new mesh name to it. It is in all blocklists.

I opened some outfits I made before with alpha meshes in them...I cannot see a difference with this one.
New alpha mesh shows up correctly, but is not "designable".
Screenshots

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 3:49 PM
The textures for an outfit are defined in the outfit, once you've added the part to the GMDC that's all you need to do as far as the mesh is concerned. You'll need to edit one outfit in SimPE to use the extra part, then you can use that outfit to clone from in Bodyshop.

To add the extra part in an outfit you'll need to add the extra lines in the Property Set (GZPS), typically the last bit will look something like:
resourcekeyidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000000 -(first line in the 3IDR)
shapekeyidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000001 -(second line in the 3IDR)
numoverrides (dtUIneger) = 0x00000002 -(Remember to adjust this)
override0shape (dtUIneger) = 0x00000000
override0subset (dtString) = body
override0resourcekeyidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000002 -(third line in the 3IDR)
override1shape (dtUIneger) = 0x00000000
override1subset (dtString) = alpha
override1resourcekeyidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000003
-(fourth line in the 3IDR)

Then you will need to update the first four lines in the Binary Index (BINX)
iconidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000004 -(note that these 'idx' values continue from the ones in the Property Set)
stringsetidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000005
objectidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000006
iconidx (dtUIneger) = 0x00000007

Then add the extra material definition into the 3D ID Referencing File (3IDR), in the above example it must be placed in the fourth line.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 4:01 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Aug 2017 at 4:39 PM.
Oh boy..i thought i did, except for the BINX part. But I added all 6 property sets original, then added these lines to them.
And this works if i am making a default right..
Thank you.

I cannot get this to work, I must not be understanding you right.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 5:12 PM
Hang on - are all of those subsets on the same outfit? On one single sim, there should be one mesh group showing brightanimals, one showing brightapple, one showing brightchecks etc.?

It's a little unclear what exactly you've done, but it sounds like you're trying to create one set of resources to replace multiple default bodyshop items. As far as I know that's not possible, you have to keep a separate set of resources for each item/recolour.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Aug 2017 at 6:15 PM.
No! Sorry, I doubt my explanation was clear.
This maxis outfit has 6 different color options. But just like any other that has, the shape/part only shows one txmt per group. I am defaulting the pfbodydressclosedsleeves which have only one group originally, the body.
In shape/part, you only have body, with brightanimals as the material definition file. But, there is 5 more color options...in the game. All linked.
I decided to add an alpha part. My alpha part will only show the brightanimals, even though i set that alpha exactly how the body part is set. My old recolor of that outfit is also showing brightanimals..while it should grab my texture on my recolor, which is blank at the feet because i wanted it bare foot! Only the body part grabs it, default color options or recolors, not my new alpha part.
What i did..
I created a new mesh package, like we do, adding the 4 files. (gmdc,gmnd,shape,cres)
If i was not adding an alpha, i would only add the gmdc file. But I love trouble and discovering knowledge I didn't know I have not.
I replaced the gmdc with my new one that has 2 group, body & alpha.
I added alpha in the shape. i added alpha in the gmnd (in tsdesignmodeenabled, in tsnoshadow as well) My alpha line has all 6 textures, just like the body line has.
To this package, i felt like i also needed to add the 6 original txmt's, but edit their names to add _alpha, and edited their properties..like you do for alpha txmt's.
I also thought I'd add texture files, same deal..editing their names...since the original does not have _alpha textures. No need really because the alpha can use the same default textures. I even went and add lifo files..
I also added the original propertyset files, all 6 of them, and added lines to them (like Chris said) so they overwrite the original...
My alpha mesh is the sandals alone, by the way. everything else is body.
I really am clueless as why it does not work the way i want it to work.
Screenshots

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 6:41 PM
Ok - I think I'm understanding a bit better now! It might be easier to figure this out if you uploaded your files.

You can leave the SHPE alone - it's not needed for recolours. The key is gonna be in the linking, within each recolour, between the following resources:
GZPS -> 3IDR -> TXMT -> TXTR

For the GZPS to be properly linked to the 3IDR, the overridexresourcekeyidx must point to the right line in the 3IDR.
For the 3IDR to be properly linked to the TXMT, the type, group and instance must be correct, and for the correct TXMT (there's no point having the correct TGI for the brightanimals TXMT in there when you want to be using the brightapple TXMT, for example).
For the TXMT to be properly linked to the TXTR, the stdMatBaseTextureName must be correct.

This isn't an exhaustive list of how you can break those linkages, but they are where I would start.

Also note that combining Bodyshop resources into one package is iffy. You can do it successfully but you have to be really careful about TGIs and references, so for the time being, I'd suggest you stick to one file per recolour until you have them all working - then you can think about combining.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 7:31 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Aug 2017 at 7:52 PM.
Thank you. But i am not making recolors..that's the thing. I am defaulting the maxis ones..if that make sense? But then when I am done, if I want to recolor any of them 6, I'd like it to also work meaning.. my alpha grabs its texture depending on... the texture.
I thought adding an alpha was much easier than completely reshaping the sandal mesh, and just add to the body mesh. But I finally tried remeshing the sandal part, so it won't need an alpha..and my default package will then be a single file, the gmdc.
Now, all maxis colors shows on sandals as it should..but bare foot also shows..and this is not what i want...this is why i need an alpha. or a miracle.

What's so frustrating is that it would work perfectly if it was NOT a default...Seems like adding an alpha to a maxis mesh and defaulting it is something I just cannot do. Either it's not possible, either I am missing on it.
I think at that point, my best option would be to do just as Lamare advice, and create a hider for the pfbodydressclosedsleeves, and turn my clothing into a regular one with the alpha, and adding all the default colors as cc recolors.
Screenshots

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 8:17 PM
You are making recolours, though - or rather, you're replacing the Maxis recolours with updated recolours which work with your alpha mesh. So you still need to modify the recolours the same way you would to add a group to a CC outfit.

The problem with the GMDC only version is interesting - how come the CC recolour doesn't have sandal texture in the same place as the EA ones? Have you looked at the mapping?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 8:19 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Aug 2017 at 8:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You are making recolours, though - or rather, you're replacing the Maxis recolours with updated recolours which work with your alpha mesh. So you still need to modify the recolours the same way you would to add a group to a CC outfit.

The problem with the GMDC only version is interesting - how come the CC recolour doesn't have sandal texture in the same place as the EA ones? Have you looked at the mapping?

Because it is empty at the feet part on my texture. i wanted a barefoot dress.
If the sandal mesh was an alpha, the sandal mesh would not show..but it is now part of the body mesh, which is not an alpha, so it is set to show SimSkin if there is nothing on the texture...

Ok, so replacing the maxi recolor is the same process as making cc recolors, this is what you are saying?..Are you telling me there IS hope?
I must import/add a 3IDR. in my package then?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:08 PM
Ahhh - that explains it!

And yes, it's totally possible - but you will have to completely replace the EA recolours as well as the mesh.

And yes, you'll need the 3IDRs for all of the EA recolours in your file(s).

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:44 PM
(I love you)
Thanks!
I'll try that. I am sure Chris said the same thing, but my brain didn't get it...lol