Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:18 AM
Default Color Overlay Isn't Working - Please Help!
Ok, so I'm trying to edit a skirt using a game mesh. I just want a simple skirt with a zipper down the front. I'm using this tutorial and TSR Workshop: http://www.thesimsresource.com/arti...8/page/2/cnt/3/

I don't want to start using CTU just yet because it seems a little in depth for me and I've never created or edited clothing before, I thought I'd start out with something simple. Apparently it isn't as simple as I thought.

I got to the part where you do the color overlay in Photoshop and add the Alpha channel. This is what I have on my multiplier.dds file:

(everything is on one layer)

And as soon as I click "Color Overlay" in the little FX section of my layers window, the whole image turns red (or white or whatever color I select). I don't have a black background with a white outline of my skirt like the tutorial says I'm supposed to. What am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry that I'm completely inept, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but I've never done this before.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:23 AM
oh it wont work if it is all on one layer... you need to have the black layer seperate to the clothing,

the way i would do that is click the magic wand tool, then click on the black area , and then click delete... (but this also depends on how dark the clothing is, just try anyway) then you create a new layer under the clothing one and fill it with black colour, then do the colour overlaye thing on the clothing layer

oh when using the magic wand tool, you'd also have to hold shift and click on the black circles in the underpants

If i cant make my t-shirt designs in real life... then ill make them in the virtual life!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:35 AM
Thank you thank you!

Now my next question is after I do the color overlay thingy, Photoshop creates (automatically) an alpha channel. If I enable it, the background (everything that is black) turns red automatically. Is this normal?
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:40 AM
umm... when i turn the alpha layer on it does go red... so i think that normal...
but for some reason, (this is only my experience, may work for you though) it doesnt let me save it as a dds file when ive created the alpha channel

If i cant make my t-shirt designs in real life... then ill make them in the virtual life!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:46 AM
Yea, I'm having that problem too. It says there's too many channels to export (5 to be exact). How do you work around this?

Sorry I'm being a pain in the butt! I really appreciate your help
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:47 AM
Test Subject
#7 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:48 AM
i just delete the alpha layer, and save it like that... it seems to work fine... but i havnt really made much clothing

Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:53 AM
but you might want to ask someone else, or just do some tests

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:59 AM
Thank you for all your help LDesigns! I finally got it! You're awesome!
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 12:59 AM
no problem!, so it works okay?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Dec 2009 at 1:48 AM
Yes, it works perfectly now!