Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2019 at 2:17 AM Last edited by sims2ultralover5 : 28th May 2019 at 10:54 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Need DirectX9 to run Sims 2 error? *FIXED*
Edit: I got my game to work by following this thread

I have tried many things to fix what is said below. I keep getting this error now:

How do I fix this? I have windows 10.

I got a new gaming PC and it works wonderfully with my game, and it has a very good graphics card, more than capable of handling Sims 2.

However, when I went to edit the graphics, the "Smooth Edges" option is grayed out. The game looks very blocky and before getting this new high quality computer, I was playing Sims 2 on a 12 year old basic PC with generic graphics with Smooth Edges to the most smooth. I know it's not the PC that's the problem. What do I do to enable this?

I found this thread, and the last post explains kind of how to fix it (maybe), but it doesn't make sense to me how to do it. Where do I find that file and where to I put that "cheat"?

Edit: I'm hoping what this link says to do will fix it. I will try it out.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th May 2019 at 2:46 AM
You need the graphic rules done so your new PC sees your card and also the 4 gb patch and possibly a few other tweaks like stanby memory.
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
and Sticky thread in help http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th May 2019 at 3:23 AM Last edited by sims2ultralover5 : 28th May 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Default Need DirectX9 to run Sims 2 error? *FIXED*
I got it to work by following this thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th May 2019 at 3:57 AM
I had to download and install DirectX 9 as well but it was something else that messed it up. Make sure to delete cache files and neighbourhood manager and try to load it again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th May 2019 at 10:51 AM
I reinstalled Mansion & Garden Stuff and the game runs now, but I still have to fix the screen resolution and smooth edges. I'm going to try and follow the directions from this link.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th May 2019 at 10:08 PM Last edited by sims2ultralover5 : 28th May 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sims2ultralover5
I reinstalled Mansion & Garden Stuff and the game runs now, but I still have to fix the screen resolution and smooth edges. I'm going to try and follow the directions from this link.

Nothing I do is working... I keep getting the Directx9 error. I have Windows 10. I tried running in compatibility mode on all possible options and nothing is working.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th May 2019 at 10:44 PM
If you installed the 4 gb patch you can't run in compatibility mode. Post #2 on the sticky thread.

You may have to install directX9 as I said above.

~Call me Jo~