Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2016 at 1:59 AM
Default Complicated question about transforming a home lot previously saved to library
So a long time ago I built a replica of the house I grew up in, and saved it to the library looking like it did when we first moved in in July of 1993, when I was not quite 2 1/2 years old. I plan on having my personal Sim, her parents and her siblings living there until the point in the story where my parents split up and the family sells the house, with dad finding his own place and me going with mom to live in a two-bedroom apartment (which happened in real life in December of 2006, when I was 15 years old). But with the house being the way it is now, I want to make a copy of it and put the garage to the left of the house (it's to the right of the original house, typical of my personal design style) and once I've done that I'll add new outside walls at the right side of the house, big enough for what I would like to be a one-bedroom apartment. In real life, sometimes people have extra space in their home that they rent out. When my personal Sim is married and has kids of her own, I want this planned family of 4 to all live in the main house (which itself would have been updated to match my vision of my dream adult life), but I want the "apartment" to be separately occupied by a Sim living on his or her own. I understand this can be accomplished through the Apartment Controller mod, which I already have installed. But what I would really like, is for the main house to be seen by the game as a house, with a mortgage, and for the apartment to be seen as an apartment, with rent. I would also like the rent to be paid to the family living in the main house, and for the apartment to be considered "next door" to the main house, with an address that the apartment does not share with the main house. My last issue is lot size. The original, unmodified house that the new one will be recreated from, is on a 64x64 plot of land. I was wondering, is there any way to take bits of the property apart (the house, the garage), and replace the split property as I see fit on the new (possibly smaller) lot, or have two appropriately sized adjacent lots as necessary? Could I accomplish this with the blueprint mod?

Like I said, this question was complicated and it took me a long time to explain everything. Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance for your help, guys!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 3rd May 2016 at 8:09 AM
There has been lots of questions about downsizing a lot and all the answers I've got is some sort of no.

When it comes to apartments, you might do well with a mod for the apartment funktionality in basegame. I have a tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewsBf6O8zQc

The mod and the downsizing I can't help you with.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2016 at 4:10 PM
What about my other issues? Mortgage/rent split? Two different addresses? Family in main house collecting rent from Sim in the apartment?
dodgy builder
#4 Old 4th May 2016 at 12:42 PM
that's what you need a mod for. You could ask in the wcif or "where can I find forum": http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=559.
mature minion
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th May 2016 at 12:44 PM
To have a different address the building would need to be on a separate lot. There isn't a mechanism that I can think of for collecting rent from one sim on a lot and giving it to another, if there was that would be a modding issue not a building one.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 6th May 2016 at 3:06 AM
I agree with Volvenom and Tee Hee She, rent payment is a mod issue. I don't know of one that does this, though, especially since the game would recognize two groups on one lot as one household. If you put them on two adjacent lots, you could use the family funds cheat to subtract funds from one family and pay them to the other.

I haven't spent much time working with the blueprint mod, but in theory a player could blueprint each room and then recombine them on another lot. If you get this to work, please report back. People often ask about moving a building to a smaller lot, and this could be a way to do that. Good luck!
Site Helper
#7 Old 9th May 2016 at 12:52 PM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 9th May 2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Adding something
Everyone living on the lot has access to the household income. If you want to have a sim who lives on the lot (and is thus part of the household) paying rent to the rest of the household, it would appear to require either a very complicated mod, which would not work well with any other core mod, or some creativity.

Get a pair of chests. Pick some inexpensive objects to use as tokens. One chest is the family's money, and the other chest is the renter's money. When money is brought in, add tokens to the appropriate chest. When money is spent, delete tokens from the appropriate chest. When rent is paid, move tokens from one chest to the other. When someone wants to buy something, it cannot be bought unless the chest has enough tokens, regardless of the actual household income. (the number and denomination of the tokens you use are up to you. If you want to let anything below 50 or 100 be considered pocket change, that's fine. If you want every simoleon to be accounted for, that's fine too.)

Of course, this will still end up with people thinking the renter is rich if the family is rich, even if the renter cannot afford to go to the movies. But it is a workable rent system.

Edit: of course, you can also keep track on a piece of paper or a separate file on the computer, but if you're like me that would quickly end up with the renter getting a long free ride because I lost the paper or didn't want to risk windowing out of an unstable game to edit a text file.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th May 2016 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Everyone living on the lot has access to the household income. If you want to have a sim who lives on the lot (and is thus part of the household) paying rent to the rest of the household, it would appear to require either a very complicated mod, which would not work well with any other core mod, or some creativity.

Ingame there is an option on the phone called "roommate services". When enabled the roommate/s show up on the portait panel but are not selectable, and have the run of the lot. I used nRaas Portrait Panel to hide them and locked doors to control where they slept, until I figured out that making it an apartment lot would work better.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this, but all involve using cheats in some capacity. I suggest you do some research to find what suits your playstyle best :-)

Sheep

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 18th May 2016 at 7:46 AM
The roommate system came with uni exp, so you need that exp to make that option work.