Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:24 PM
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#27 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:44 PM
That will limit the height of the dome to one or 2 floors, i dont want that.
since the dome hasn't a floor above i can make it as acurate as possible.
Maybe i dont include the lamp then you can make other cc lamps fit by updating them with move up and down wall flags
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...php?topic=335.0
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:48 PM
BloomBase, then I have no idea how to do it, it's rather difficult to add the lamp we need to the dome
In sims 2 creators of Titanic used the techniques I described
Sockpuppet
#29 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:50 PM
Well, the dome is out of proportion when its just one floor high and also when its 2 floors high.
i put up link that show you how to add those flags, i bet you want it for other stuff aswell

Edit, when it turns out it is a problem then ill scale one to either one or 2 floors high, no problem
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:52 PM
Hmm, well maybe the dome itself should be separate from the lighting? Though having the dome as a light is a great idea, and it is supposed to be a light.
But won't the entire thing be too huge for a ceiling light? Will the game render it well?

So have you looked into creating a floor tile for the dome? And for the dome being out of proportion, can you post a photo to describe this more?
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:52 PM
I am not a creator so I don't know how to do it, I just watch'n'guess and that's all
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:56 PM
I'd like to remind you that I can request for dome's convertion from TS2 to TS3
Sockpuppet
#33 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:56 PM
I asked Inge about the floor and we might can create a floorcutout as it will be a huge ammount of work to give it its own floor.
A floorcutout you see on the hottub and stairs, usually 2x2.
I was hoping i could create a 8x8 circle floorcutout

just relax till i have something you guys can view
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:57 PM
Ok, I'll send the request and we will compare
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
I asked Inge about the floor and we might can create a floorcutout as it will be a huge ammount of work to give it its own floor.
A floorcutout you see on the hottub and stairs, usually 2x2.
I was hoping i could create a 8x8 circle floorcutout

just relax till i have something you guys can view

Oh by a floor, I just meant an object to go along with the dome, maybe something flat like a rug? Because of the dome's circular shape, a assume this would make gaps in the game.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 31st May 2012 at 7:40 PM
I sent two requests for the dome, let's wait a bit and we'll see what we got
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#37 Old 31st May 2012 at 8:29 PM
If you do something with the dome similar to what I did with my glass floors, then the dome will allow daylight in and the light will fall in the right place for the time of day, moving and changing nature as the day goes by. At night it won't light up the room at all.

NB, the dome will have to be an object of the room it forms the ceiling of, if you hope to be able to see it from inside the room when you look up. The game never shows objects on the level above, and unlike objects on lower levels, there is no setting to enable that. This then either requires the cutout to be in the ceiling, like it is with the spiral stairs, or for the top object (using a hot tub type template) to be a plain invisible object that just creates acutout, and the dome to be like the base of a hot tub. But then the mesh needs to be raised in the mesh editor while the bounding box lies about where it it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 1:08 AM Last edited by dangmal : 1st Jun 2012 at 1:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
If you do something with the dome similar to what I did with my glass floors, then the dome will allow daylight in and the light will fall in the right place for the time of day, moving and changing nature as the day goes by. At night it won't light up the room at all.

It was made of thick frosted white glass and so wouldn't have particularly indicated the time of day as it would have emitted soft white light during the day from daylight, and soft white/orangey light during the night from the lamp at its centre. It was glass but without the qualities of glass that you might see in your average window or clear glass floor.

Bloom, What do you mean by two stories high? the dome was not a perfect half sphere, it was rather more shallow than that - from the ceiling that it stands over i would say it was only half a wall high to a wall at most, you don't mean that you want it to be taller than two walls on top of eachother do you? it just wasn't that big or that deep. Enclosed is a snippet from the original Harland and wolf plans of a grand staircase - though not the Titanics and a drawing by Ken Marshal, probably the Titanics number one visual expert.

Sockpuppet
#39 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 2:13 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:03 AM.
yes, you are correct.
I based it on a wrong picture.
Searched for good pictures but its pretty hard to find any good footage.
This is the best i could find based on a 3d model: http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.or.../animation.html
Thnx for your pictures, will use them as reference!

I had my first ingame test with one of the segments and i have a major problem.
Cloned the hottub for it as it has a 2 floor setup.
Since i have to duplicate the mesh anyway for the inside and outside faces i decided to try to attache the mesh with its faces outside to the top part of the hottub.
And i attached the mesh with its faces turned inside to the bottompart of the hottub.
You see the results in the screenshots, it worked very well.
The topfloor shows the dome and when you drop one floor it shows the bottom mesh.
However......The staircase has 2 floors while the dome is more on the 3rd floor.
And when dropping to the 1st floor it dissapears.
Or do you guys use mods to have a floor(halway the wall) inbetween?
Sockpuppet
#40 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 3:44 AM
nm, the post above, found a much easier way(i hope)
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 6:16 AM
BloomsBase, Ok, I hope it is
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#42 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 8:13 AM
The problem of an object above disappearing when you go down levels in a multi-level room can of course be overcome by making the object belong to the floor level of that room. Now this doesn't mean it can't be physically located at the highest point - that can actually be done by raising it in the mesh editor! Ok so this leaves you without a ceiling cutout. To deal with the cutout, make a *seperate* object to place on that upper floor level, that comes with a floor cutout flag and image. Obviously you also want to give this object a custom footprint to let the sims know not to walk over the cutout lol, and this will also stop them walking through the dome.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#43 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 9:24 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:04 AM.
Small meshupdate, im almost done
Will try to upload new template for the glass.
Its now about 2.75 tiles high, lower then one floor.(but scaling it down a little more wont effect the texture much)
The foundation will come through the sealing when done.(top half steel, bottom half wood while the inside part is plaster and wood.)
Castable are going to be the plaster/steel/wood and toppart(seiling)

Edit, Here is the mesh as obj file and the template
Make sure to texture a but further then the edges.

The 2 black stripes you see are the gaps from the 2 small iron bars, you no longer need to texture those.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 10:22 PM Last edited by zelda101 : 1st Jun 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Wow it's looking great! but shouldn't the two bars be further apart a bit and a bit higher? Or could it be removed and added in as a texture like my previous image? That way you can possibly recolour the dome in different designs as well.
Sockpuppet
#45 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 11:28 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 8th Jun 2012 at 8:04 AM.
Then ill remove em, no problem
Texture like they are not there, ill close the gaps on the uvmap.

Ingame:

the bright glass is just a material setting.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 12:19 AM
It looks amaazing.
How did you get the ceiling cutout that way?
Sockpuppet
#47 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 7:54 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 2nd Jun 2012 at 8:33 AM.
The hottub has a cutout, just used its texture and some bigger offsets.
You want to check the file ingame?
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 9:47 AM
BloomsBase, I'd like!
Sockpuppet
#49 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 10:45 AM
It will be uploaded to MTS2 when done
I still have to figure out how to make the Dome visible at all floors.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 12:30 PM
BloomsBase, to make it visible on the floor above it must be placed on the lower floor, so the game will think it was placed on the A Deck, but the dome will go out of the borders of that floor
Page 2 of 7