Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Fluffy
retired moderator
#76 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:11 PM
mage,
what I find confusing about this package is your number of object data
the straight one has three, while the diagonal one only has two, effectively giving a tile less.. I think that could be your problem
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:29 PM
Hi everyone,

As Numenor said we could import a texture image with different sizes from the original one by using the DSS, I do it but now, I'm always getting an error message "unable to read beyond the end of the stream".

I've not tested my object and the recolors ingame yet, but can it cause any trouble ?

- Speech is silver but silence is gold -
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:42 PM
Mage, everything seems correct in your package.... I can't understand what's wrong.

Only, I have noticed that in my game (NL) I can't place the window at all on diagonal walls, while you say that you can, but the shape of the original window.
Are you sure that you haven't in your downloads folder an old version of the same window?

Unless IgnorantBliss doesn't find a solution that I can't see, I suggest to start anew, cloning again the window (an maybe, changing window: who knows if the Brasserie window hasn't anything unusual?)

EDIT: Lethe, this is normal; the diagonal windows are 1-tile objects, while straight windows take 2 tiles (front and back). And anyway the brasserie window, that works perfectly in game, is built exactly that way (like all tha other windows)...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:46 PM
Ben: yes, that could lead to trouble. If the DDS can't import the image (are you sure that the size is correct? Both width and height must be powers of 2), then import any other image with the desired dimension using the DDS, and then replace the texture using the standard Import function.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#80 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:52 PM
But the DSS does import the pic correctly. I'm just getting this error message but I can import it, update all sizes, commit and save. Yes the size is correct : 512 x 384 (in fact I just take a wallpaper 1024 x 768 and er... how to say it. 1024/2=512 :D).

I'll check the result ingame. Thanks

Field Researcher
#81 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:54 PM
Thanks for looking at it Lethe and Numenor. I'm pretty sure there isn't any thing else with those GUIDs in my downloads...
Since it won't work for you anyway I think your suggestion that I start again with a different window is a good one. Is there one you reccommend?
Fluffy
retired moderator
#82 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:26 PM
Mage,
I swear, I have to stop trying to 'help' people when I'm dazed and confused
but try the Double hung window, the black one, that one always worked for me

Ben,
I don't think 384 will work. I always thought is was 256 or 512 there. Other dimensions are usually refused with me...
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:43 PM
Numenor & Lethe I don't really understand Both width and height must be powers of 2 ...

Does that mean the width/the height or the height/the width has to be equal to 1 or 2 ? Huh, I hate maths :D

Part-time Hermit
#84 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
Thanks for looking at it Lethe and Numenor. I'm pretty sure there isn't any thing else with those GUIDs in my downloads...
Since it won't work for you anyway I think your suggestion that I start again with a different window is a good one. Is there one you reccommend?

Mage, I haven't been able to fix your window, either. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fact that the original straight window seems to be a slave to another object itself.

I would recommend cloning the Function of Plate Glass window, it has a simpler mesh structure (with fewer GMDCs) than the Double Hung one. If you want to make sure the window works with all versions of the game, untick the University and Nightlife files in the File Table in Preferences and restart SimPE. Even though the Plate Glass window is from the base game, leaving those ticked will make it require an expansion pack.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:51 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
I need help again too. First, maybe I can offer some advice about importing texture images with different dimensions to those they are to replace. If I understand what you're trying to do Ben.

Work with a texture that has a width and length of: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 etc. It can be 16x128 256x32 512x256 (anything like that but don't try import anything with a measurement that's not part of this 'doubles each step' like 20).

For best results check the mipmap level (box left of the texture image view). An image where either measurement is 512 or less needs a mipmap level of 10 (256 is 9, 128 is 8 etc.)

Right click the image and select 'build dxt', find the bitmap or png you want. I've heard it said that setting the format to DXT5 and 'sharpen' to none gives best results and it does stop some of the fraying of textures. When you find your image select build (it will take a few seconds while it compresses). When it's in the screen click commit and save (don't right click - update all sizes using this method).

Sticking to the sorts of texture image dimensions that the game and SimPE want should stop the error messages. 8, 16, 32, 64 (that pattern).

Now, I've got this chair. It's cloned from the "Mr. Section with Arms" by Comfortitude. I've done an unsuccesful search, of the site, for anyone else who's worked with this so - I'm here again. I'm sorry (I've got the repository technique nailed now and I've even figured out how to add a second recolourable model to items that formerly only had one - using the repository technique). This chair though, it's meant to become a sofa when two are placed side by side and it doesn't, basicly. I thought it might be a similar thing to linking straight and diagonal objects using the guids in the raw data in the object data but, on looking at the guids I can't see anything that I could change to make it work. Everything else about the package is fine, I think.

Please could someone suggest how I could fix it? It's the same mesh as one I've had on this site for a while but it's how I would have done it if the Mr. Section had been available to clone at the time.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#86 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:54 PM
Ben,
the way I see it
Width can me (realistically) 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc.
Height can also be, 128, 256, 512 etc.
You can have something that's 256X1024, or something that's 512x512, or all combinations of the above
Part-time Hermit
#87 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 8:03 PM
Samekh, where can I get the object(s) this chair borrows its materials from? If I test this in the game, it's not going to have any textures otherwise.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need any GUID linking when all the meshes are in the same package. I think it works in a similar way than a kitchen counter that also has several different states (regular, sink version, corner, and so on) in the same package. However, I don't know exactly how they work.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 8:23 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:49 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Thanks for having a look. You're right (it would have flashing blue textures in game), I'll include zips (they wont have available colour options but they'll have the base texture) of the repository items that the chair is linked to.

I've had issues with kitchen counters before.. I wonder if it's not something to do with the other 'Mr. Section' needing to be worked on too? That would be silly though.

If you can't figure it out don't worry.

Ohhh. Maybe it's because I changed the model names. There's a section in 'text lists' mesh groups that is using the original model names. I know nothing about the text lists or the behaviour constants or functions. That might be something to do with it.

I'll run a couple of experiments. I'll change those two values in the in the 'mesh groups' first and see if that works. If it doesn't I'll try redoing the whole package (but not as a slave) and keep the model names the same. This stuff is a little too advanced for me I fear.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 9:19 PM
Thanks, Lethe and Ignorant Bliss. I don't want to use the double hung window because I think each GMDC has two seperate pieces of glass and I don't need things to be any more compilcated than they are. I'll try the sheer glass.

Just to add to the discussion of texture sizes, I have found that some objects will not import textures of some sizes that are normally acceptable. I've had it happen several times but the ones that are accepted always have dimensions that are multiples of 64.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 9:36 PM
Oh and could you tell me more about unticking the expansion packs? Should I do that for other objects as well? If I do it for the piano and bookcases with they work in all games?
Part-time Hermit
#91 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
Oh and could you tell me more about unticking the expansion packs? Should I do that for other objects as well? If I do it for the piano and bookcases with they work in all games?

Some objects like the bookcases have new functions after University, so if you want them to have the college options and such, then you should leave the University files checked. I don't remember what other objects there might be like that. Then you'll just have to let your downloaders know it requires University. But items like windows, I don't really see any functional difference. Just for some reason something about the Function of Plate Glass window was changed with one of the expansion packs, I'm not sure which one, because you can't tell in SimPE which expansion it requires. It did not happen to all windows, though. Also at least one of the desks from the base game was changed somehow. I didn't know it at the time I made the objects, I just found out afterwards the desk did not work without expansion packs. I recloned it without the expansion pack files, and it seems to be working fine with all versions.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 9:58 PM
MAGE and IBliss - The changes that an EP makes to the object are sometimes not visible in game. Please read this thread about this subject (and shere the info if asked )

Also, for the window to clone, my motto is: the simpler the better Therefore I always clone the small Privacy Window (just remember that, in the diagonal one, the "main" Object Data is the one with instance 0x41A9: Maxis forgot to put the "0,0" on the other one...).

Part-time Hermit
#93 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 10:10 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 13th Jan 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Yes, I have read your information before . I know it may be risky with some objects, but I have been cloning the Function of Plate glass window several times, both before and after the change caused by the expansion pack, and I have not come across any incompatibility, I've tested them both in the base game only and with expansions.

But the privacy window is a slave of another window, right? It's a slave of the Function of Plate Glass window. You'll need a stand-alone clone to pull the materials and textures. I did not recommend that one in my tutorial, for examples, because it makes it more complicated for beginners. Also, unless you uncheck the expansion pack files in the File Table, also the Privacy window requires an expansion pack, just like the Plate Glass one. You will see that when you look at the "0,0" object data. You must have unchecked the expansion files while cloning your wallwindows, since they are base game compatible.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 10:32 PM
I didn't notice that some windows are still base-game compatible even with the EP, and some aren't... LOL! And I've never noticed that the Privacy is slave of another window! I always check and change everything, when I clone an object, so I never focused on this point... Thanks for having pointed this out.

Well, the Function of Plate seems perfect: only 2 GMDC (no "pane"), two recolourable subsets (only one without the CEP), and can be cloned without unchecking anything in SimPE, because it will be base-game compliant in any case.

Part-time Hermit
#95 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 10:39 PM
Well, when I clone Function of Plate Glass window, I have to uncheck the expansion pack files, or else it won't be base game compatible. You can see it in the "0,0". The main GUID is fine, but one of the other ones isn't. It will show up in the game catalog, but you can't place it on a wall in the base game unless you exclude the expansion files upon cloning.
Field Researcher
#96 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 1:16 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Hello all, I don't usually ask for help, but this one is driving me bonkers. I'm assuming that it's some little thing that I'm overlooking, but before I attack my computer I'll bow to the brilliant minds here to point it out for me.

I've created a simple bedskirt and am trying to connect it to the Maxis bedding so that it will use all custom as well as original bedding for its texture choices. And before anyone asks, yes I did a search, tried different versions using several tutorials and still come up with an object that only appears with one Maxis texture (see pic) that will not change.

Thanks for any help, Kathy
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#97 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 7:43 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Kathy, here's your bedskirt that should be color-enabled now. What I did was add tsDesignModeEnabled into the GMND and then add the bedding subset to it. I don't think I changed anything else. Now it seems to work. What an awesome idea for an object, by the way!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Well, when I clone Function of Plate Glass window, I have to uncheck the expansion pack files, or else it won't be base game compatible. You can see it in the "0,0". The main GUID is fine, but one of the other ones isn't. It will show up in the game catalog, but you can't place it on a wall in the base game unless you exclude the expansion files upon cloning.

You're right, as usual

I've checked, and I coudn't find any window that doesn't have the same problem.
Therefore, unchecking the EPs in SimPE is always needed...

Field Researcher
#99 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 12:41 PM
CTNutmegger. The only thing I can see is that, in the geometric node, you didn't have a tsDesignModeEnabled array for 'bedding'. The tsMaterialsMeshName string was fine (apart from having capitals in the string but I'm not sure that makes a difference). The 'shape' was fine.

At first when I opened your package I thought what the heck is it! There's no bed. What did you use to clone? Not another bed? It's a great idea if it works. I know that putting two beds together using move_objects on has unwanted results (I wanted to do something like this and was thinking of making a sedan base that could be used for all the beds I make) but using a bed for it made people lie in the same slot at the same time. I suppose a rug or something would be a good thing to clone for this. Except will it move with the animations if it's not part of the bed? I haven't tested the change I made to your package. I'll go do it now.
Part-time Hermit
#100 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 12:49 PM
She used Echo's rug as a base for the bedskirt. I made the color options work for it already, though .
Locked thread
Page 4 of 60