Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 2:40 AM Last edited by attuned : 24th Aug 2016 at 3:35 AM.
Default Advice/ Opinions about Greenhouse
I am building a greenhouse and have hit an impasse. I am trying to keep it base game only, with a no cc version. I made a lattice roof with the monorail fence. I used cfe to arch the roof, but then two things happened: the windows do not cover the space between the walls and the roof (I expected this), and I cannot get the monorail fence to place over the one story section that was not changed with cfe. In the one story section in the front, I can't cover the section next to the two story. In the one story section in the back, I can't cover the end section. I am not sure this roof is worth the trouble it's giving me, so the second picture below is an alternative roof idea. I plan on advising downloaders to cover the upper floor with tile to weather proof during the winter, if they have seasons.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 10:04 AM
Hm, the first draft looks more pleasing in my opinion. If you want to put any more effort into it you could extend the second floor at the edges (walls only, no windows) so that it covers the entire first floor, and then level it deeper at the edges with cfe to make it look like almost first floor, making the roof look more like "in one pour" (if that makes any sense).
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 12:28 AM
Thanks, @Vincent T. for your feedback. I like the first roof better, but the empty space without windows between the top of the second floor and the roof bothers me more than I thought it would. I worked on this roof for over two hours, turned off cfe, hit the back key, and erased all my work. It is worth mentioning that the greenhouse is only part of this project. The lot has 4 buildings, a pond and a pool. The greenhouse is in the back corner and is the least visible part of the lot. I originally was going to make a box with windows, since it is really just a place to house the plants I wanted to include.

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but I will try out what I think you are suggesting and post more pictures. Thanks again!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 4:53 AM Last edited by attuned : 17th Aug 2016 at 5:32 AM.
EDIT: This work is (hopefully) progressing....

Thanks Vincent T.!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 10:39 AM
I think it looks much better now Sorry if my post was unclear, English is (obviously) not my first language. But it seems you understood what I meant, thank you for that.
You could even try to raise the fence at the middle section a bit higher to follow the curve (if you still wanted to spend time on this smallest part of your project).
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 4:52 AM
Newest version- a completely different way to go and still working on windows. Any thoughts?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 4:46 AM
New choices, roof 4 with roof grid, and "windows" (5&6)
New roof, #7.
Help!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 9:03 AM
Lol.... too much choice! From you pics, roof 5 looks a bit like a roof that could be closed if the weather is getting too bad - I like that. Roof 6 has the best "Greenhouse" look to it. Roof 7 looks very original, the rest of that project would need to fit that style. I like that patterned "roof" very much, but it does not look specifically like a greenhouse (to my narrow mind).
dodgy builder
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 9:25 AM
In the obsticles you described on the first attempt. I guess you started making the cfe roof and then got on with the rest of the building? Did you try to cover the area you wanted tiles on first and then build the roof? I guess it's a bit annoying having to build a cfe roof for hours and then not making it work. I would just try to make the tiles on the sides first, since it's bugging up, and then let them just be twisted and turned by the cfe on the top roof. You can level it all at the end.

When that's said though. I must say I prefer the first option in your last post, but I would make it lower, or find windows to fit in the lower wall. I guess you're going to cover it with plants or something?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 3:40 AM
Thanks, Vincent T. and Volvenom. I think I like v.5 the best also. I am trying to keep it base game, so my window choices are limited. Perhaps I will give it another go and try to lower the second level. This part of the project has taken a bigger share of my time then I thought it would. I have learned lots about working with CFE.