Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2018 at 12:48 PM
Default Wikispaces shutting down
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that wikispaces (which hosts nraas and ani's mods) is closing up shop later this year. Now is the time to snag all the mods!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th May 2018 at 1:04 PM
There is a message on the home page about this:

Quote:
WIKISPACES IS CLOSING DOWN MESSAGES
Yes, we are aware that our landlord is shutting down later in 2018. But not to worry, we have plenty of time to plan for the move to our new home, a process that was already underway behind the scenes regardless. There will be formal announcements forthcoming closer to the time as to where to find us during and after the transition. Until then, it is still business as usual here at NRaas.

https://nraas.wikispaces.com/
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2018 at 2:04 PM
I wonder how many threads there have been about this by now.....well as long as there's been enough of them....

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th May 2018 at 4:00 PM
One thing this experience is teaching us is that many NRaas users do not enter our site by way of the main home page. Either that or they are programmed to disregard notices posted with bold red headings. Not sure what to do with this information honestly, and I don't usually enter NRaas that way myself either. But we really don't know how to get the word out that yes, we know our landlords are shutting down and yes, we are moving before then, any more efficiently. Unfortunately we cannot interfere with the banners that Wikispaces puts across the top of the site until the member dismisses them.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th May 2018 at 4:14 PM
That's okay- if people keep asking, we'll keep telling- the thought of the NRaas mods vanishing is enough to instil panic in anyone!
dodgy builder
#6 Old 16th May 2018 at 10:47 AM
Can't you put a post on top of all your pages?
Instructor
#7 Old 16th May 2018 at 11:20 AM
When I visited through google, there were a closeable message box floating in all sites, I did not see the main menu, since I entered through google to a download page.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th May 2018 at 12:17 PM
Personally I'd opt for a really obnoxious popup that follows you around the page and that has a second close button after you click the useless first one.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th May 2018 at 4:17 PM
There are limits as to what we can do within Wikispaces' environment. It never was as flexible as a totally controllable website would be, which is one of the reasons we were moving in the first place anyway.

I think we'll settle for the new bright red entry on the navigation sidebar that appears on every page instead, as suggested by another member. Some people will ignore or not focus on it anyway, but there isn't much we can do about that. Thanks for all the other suggestions, though.
Instructor
#10 Old 16th May 2018 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
There are limits as to what we can do within Wikispaces' environment. It never was as flexible as a totally controllable website would be, which is one of the reasons we were moving in the first place anyway.

I think we'll settle for the new bright red entry on the navigation sidebar that appears on every page instead, as suggested by another member. Some people will ignore or not focus on it anyway, but there isn't much we can do about that. Thanks for all the other suggestions, though.

A moment of silent thanks that this is not 90s era geocities and therefore a blinking marquee wasn't an option ;D
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2018 at 10:23 PM
"This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, version 3 of each. Actually only half the annoying features work on each one, so use both at the same time to get the full experience. We really don't care either way, but be sure to sign the Guest Book on the way out."
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th May 2018 at 10:27 PM
Mind the "under construction" signs, the page view counter, and the trail of sparkles following your cursor.

insert signature here
Instructor
#13 Old 16th May 2018 at 11:17 PM
And don't forget the autoplay that started blasting midi versions of teenybopper pop songs the minute the page loaded.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th May 2018 at 11:35 PM
You mean every other shitty Tumblr anno 2018?

Oh, you said MIDI......well I won't trash talk MIDI because it's a perfectly adequate thing when used as intended, but let's leave the crappy MIDI covers of popular songs in 1998 where they belong. And this gem of a website, which my old web design teacher was very keen on making an example of. That file it wants you to download (top notch coding there lads) is an impression of the 1976 Eurovision winner, "Save Your Kisses for Me". Not only did they try to spice up their website with a Eurovision song, they managed to pick the worst song to win the contest during the mid-70s.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 17th May 2018 at 9:15 AM
I'm just happy the site will live on, no matter in which form. I'm getting a new PC soon and will be back to playing TS3 which my old one haven't been able to handle for at least a year if not more, so I went back to nraas the other day just to get caught up and got really worried there for a moment when I first saw the wikispace message.

When I'm actively playing I probably check the chatterbox more than I do the TS3 boards here on MTS. It's a big part of the TS3 experience imo.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 17th May 2018 at 8:00 PM
No discussion about the epitome of website design and organization would ever be complete without mentioning one of these sites (it's amazing these are still around):
http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com

Wouldn't necessarily recommend clicking on many of the links showing up there, though.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th May 2018 at 9:03 PM
Does it count if it's deliberately chaotic and nonsensical? I mean not to be difficult but the site I linked is, as far as I can tell, 100% genuine and sincere (when it really shouldn't be). Like Bill Shatner's singing career.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th May 2018 at 11:58 PM
Of course I am not being serious. But am also not really sure why it would matter to a real user if chaos and nonsense were deliberate or happened by accident.
Site Helper
#19 Old 19th May 2018 at 3:49 PM
If it's deliberate, you can laugh at it without hurting the feelings of someone trying their best who just didn't know any better... It's like the difference between watching the Three Stooges and watching a guy on the street hitting another guy over the head with a board.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook