Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:09 PM Last edited by Jax2 : 9th Oct 2006 at 4:46 PM. Reason: UPDATES!!!! READ! (10/9/06)
Default Working Elevator tutorial... very cool!
UPDATE (10/9/06) So you all know, this tutorial was made long before OFB was out and before maxis stole the idea for elevators from this site and others.

The site where you could download the fake elevator is gone, for a while now, so please don't ask any more questions about this.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to keep this up to date in my absence. I have since returned to MTS2 and plan on being around for a while. Use this post only as a reference to how things used to be

Hello everyone, I will try and show you 5 quick steps to making a kick butt
working elevator for your sims houses and businesses. Now pay attention!

Step 1)

If you don't already have a pre-built house, this will be a bit easier as you can build around the "elevator shaft".

You will need the following files installed before you begin:

The actual elevator function by Shaklin (german, don't worry, just download:

http://shaklin.sh.funpic.org/module...php?cid=2&lid=5

For a touch of realism, be sure to get moon ez's wonderful elevator doors, walls, and floors at: http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=65694

Now, once you have all these installed into your downloads directory (c:\my document\ea games\the sims 2\downloads), go on to step 2.

Step 2)

For this tutorial, we will make an empty 3 story 8 x 8 building, with a 2 x 2
section attached somewhere on the outside wall (I used the back wall):

Make sure to add floors to all levels, both in the building and in the "Shaft",
don't forget to add a door from the outside into the building either, heh. For each floor, click on the sliding glass doors and wait a moment for the optional screen to pop up. Choose the sliding glass door that best suits your elevator (I used the plain steel door (no windows) on mine)

So, each of your floors should look close to this:

Step 3)

Now comes the tricky part. Starting with floor 1. Click on stairs in your build
tool, and select the elevator "stairs". Place this in your shaft exactly how
you see it in the picture below:

If you do not place it exactly like this, your upper floors will not work
correctly. This goes for every floor I will show you, follow the pictures exactly.

Step 4)

Move up to the 2nd level, and place the "Elevator steps" exactly as shown here:

Now, you may notice that the elevator buttons are sitting in the middle of the shaft, and are not against the wall. This cannot be helped, and you will very seldom notice this during game play.

Step 5)

Well, there really is no step 5, I lied. If you want to go higher than 3 floors, simply put another "elevator step" on the 3rd floor, in the exact same position you put it in on the first floor. In other words, every other floor
they're in the same spot. This is unlimited, you can make your elevator as high as you want.

Now, test it out by having your sim move in (if he / she hasn't already) and
click somewhere on the 3rd floor and choose go here. You should see your sim enter the elevator (Notice how the doors open just like a real one?) and
then pop up on the 3rd floor, where the doors will again open nicely and let him/her out.

If for some reason this doesn't work, and your sim does not want to move up
to the 3rd floor, go back and check the positioning of your "elevator stairs"
and be sure they are placed exactly as in the pictures above.

Between the elevator doors/walls/floors by moon ez, and the elevator stairs by Shaklin, this is a perfect working, and looking, elevator. Enjoy!

-=Jax2=-
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:19 PM
Thanx...
Forum Resident
#3 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 1:18 AM
I really needed a elevator

Now known as CMW15
Manipulator of messy meshes
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 11:44 PM
sheer brilliance ....looks amazing in game...and your tutorial is so clear it only took me 5 mins to do. Good job!
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 7:17 AM
I got the floor plans to a real house that has an elevator. Now I can try to build it (elevator and all) as close to the real thing as possible. Thanks
Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 9:24 PM
First, thanks for this tutorial, I tried translating the German one but didn’t get very far.

I can’t place the “elevator steps” in the 2x2 shaft that I have built, so I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you have to use the “moveobjects on” cheat to place the “elevator steps” in all cases?, or
2. Should the elevator shaft have three outside walls?, or
3. Should the elevator doors not be in place when placing the “elevator steps”?, (Tried removing the doors still didn’t work), or
4. Is it just an extremely fiddly process placing the “elevator steps”.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 2:48 PM
Wher are the elevator steps

(\__/)
( ^.^)
(")__(")98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 9:10 PM
Well, there really aren't any elevator steps... When you download the elevator object from the site I linked too, or download the file I posted, you should see a blank think in your main steps part of the catalog...

It will just look like a little button panel, one on bottom, one on second story... look closely at the pictures in the tutorial and you can see them...

If you need more help, send me a pm and I will try and explain more clearly... I used the term "Elevator Steps" becuase techincally they are steps, they're just invisible, which is why you have to place them just right or the sim won't be able to reach the top or bottom of the stairs... Know what I mean?
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 12:26 AM
If you use the "moveobjects on" cheat when placing the elevator "stairs" on the 2nd floor then it can be stacked over the one from the first floor so there isn't any elevator buttons in the middle of the shaft. The elevator still works. Thats for the instructions and download links, made it nice and easy to do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 1:00 AM
Well thanks, I never knew that, makes it even better then lol
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 1:40 AM
Thanks for this!! Looks really simple, the way you have presented it...so am off to give it a go!!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 6:34 AM
Targa made another "elevator" here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97172.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 1:09 AM
Default Don't Work!
:naughty: Don't Work!
:mad: :sorry:
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#14 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 1:24 AM
Can you be more specific?
Test Subject
#15 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 12:25 PM
Default Great stuff!
Thanks, I'm just building my first lot with elevators. Just a note though, your tutorial as it is, does not work. If the doors are placed first then the elevator won't go in without 'moveobjects on'. It does still work when placed like this though.

Thanks again, I really liked the speed when I tested it too, so much faster than walking up and down stairs.

Kia Ora from Aotearoa
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#16 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 9:25 PM
witch, try targa's elevator.
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 11:55 AM
Awesome tutorial, i'm lovin' it

My elevator in the center of a house:

Gery Greyhound, creator of Simmetria
A magyar Sims 2 modding és tuning központ/
The Hungarian TS2 modding & tuning center
Test Subject
#18 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 11:06 AM
:nod: Great Stuff :nod: ! does it work in nightlife?

The way to get somthing done.
"Let's go and do somthing constructive!"
"Let's not and say we did!"
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#19 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 8:42 PM
Yes it does.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by witch
Thanks, I'm just building my first lot with elevators. Just a note though, your tutorial as it is, does not work. If the doors are placed first then the elevator won't go in without 'moveobjects on'. It does still work when placed like this though.

Thanks again, I really liked the speed when I tested it too, so much faster than walking up and down stairs.

Hmm, thats very odd, because the tutorial I made was done when building the "Lookout tower" I uploaded to demonstrate the elevator (and give all the pieces for it in one place) and it worked without any problems on my end... I didn't use any cheats either except for max levels ... strange...

Need to find a gift for someone?
GetYourGiftsNow.com and sign up today! (shameless plug >8) )
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#21 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 5:09 AM
You can't have anything to the left of Shaklin's elevator. Targa's doesn't have that problem.
#22 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 11:16 PM
Wow!!! This is wonderful!!! Thanks!!
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:50 AM
Verry Cool. I need to have a elevator in my new "Tower" House!
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 12:43 AM
Wow reallly cool tutorial!Very Nice!!

~~~RapmanTooAte~~~
Forum Resident
#25 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 2:40 AM
Jax2 :hmm:

feeEssen

My websites:
http://www.feeessen-sims-objekte.de
I also create for Sims3.!
My own Point and Click Advenzure Gamehttp://feeessen-sims-objekte.de/