Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 1:44 AM
Default [moved] and now some functional houses please?
hi, some of you make fabulous houses.. GREAT!! i can't do that the way you all do.. but okay, some.. or must i say, the most are not really functional at all..
Too large, too much walking, too much kitchens and for peat sake TOO MUCH swimmingpools %-6
what must a sim do with 5 orso indoor pools and a huge one outdoors..
since there are more things comming to add to the game, the thing we all need is functional housing!
be creative with size and architecture!!
okee it may be large in rooms, but not huge!!
please do not be offended by my thread..
be proud to be able to build some wonderfull things for us all!!
thanks!
Advertisement
Firestarter
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:03 AM
I know what you're saying. I downloaded this really kewl looking house, but none of the rooms seemed very usable. They were just not built to be lived in by sims. But remember, you can change anything you like for your own game. Just add a room or make the rooms larger. Nothing has to stay as it is just because you downloaded it. If you need more room, you can go into build mode and add it. It's kind of fun to do addons.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:08 AM
yes, i know.. but i ment to say that the big, bigger biggest race must be halted, because a house that's 20mb large is not what we are looking for..
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:35 AM
I agree; and have actually just built a couple of functional houses (both for Strangetown, so no huge exterior gardens) - one costing about $60K, the other about $25K. Will upload them either tonight or tomorrow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:43 AM
nice :-)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:47 AM
ok, dumb question maybe, but the housesi downloaded are in a installer.. how do i export my own houses for upload so you can install them if you want?
including installer ofcourse ;-)
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:54 AM
Go into your neighbourhood view in the game and click on the house you want to save. You will see a small blue star symbol on the left side of the screen that pops up, this gives you an option to either save the house to your computer or send it to Maxis Exchange.
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:55 AM
You can package up the houses from within the game, either to upload directly to the Sims Exchange or to a package file on your drive which you can then upload anywhere...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 3:01 AM
GREAT!! thanks! :-)
Test Subject
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 5:28 AM
OK, I just uploaded the first of the above-mentioned houses, 20 Dead End Lane; it's on the queue waiting for approval
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 6:47 AM
i posted a house also.. my girlfriend made it :-)
"voorste achterweg" it is called
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 10:21 AM
I have startet exprimenting with houses build for sims first of all. At the same time I want them to look and feel good.
So I find this subject very interesting.
First I use lots of bathrooms and seperated toilet and shower rooms, because they will not share it.
As for large kitchens, i have found most to small, if you have parties or lots of visitors I noticed that they block each other all the time. A ideal kitchen has seating for around the doble of the members in the family, no tight passages, I also try to add two refigurators if one run empty and two dishwashers to avoid that the second sim in line wash up manualy then he only have to wait 2 secounds. ~
That sims is unable to wait for two secounds is very anoying, so I have to use doble stairs if the stairs is used much.
The living room dont have to be very large except to keep it easyer to watch and you need to have room for all equipment.
Is it any reason to put it in diferent rooms?
I usualy have the living room next to the kitchen and have one or two hobby rooms for computers, piano, training equipment and more, but it look to me that sims mind playing chess next to the dance floor 8), but it looks better to have seperate rooms. They are also usefull for flirting and seducion.
I also have a love nest a litle house with a doble bed, a hot tube and a bathroom. This is on the other side of the lot and I have a blockabel gate to keep me undistubed, very usefull if you have ten partners.
My problem is that my house look ugly so its nothing to upload, but is of moderate large size and easy to look over, but I'm still optimizing it My latest change was a replace one bathroom close to the enrance with a small 4*2 bedroom to use then I fall asleep in the taxi home x)

Magne
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 12:34 PM
I've done alot of architectural experimentation so far and I've found that quite often what is architecturally inspiring and interesting looking doesn't actually take into account the actual gameflow of The Sims.

I've made quite a few houses with 4 story observatories, bay windows in every room and towers out the nose...and quite simply none of them are very acceptable for actual play.

Here is a picture of my latest endeavor, which while it is fairly boring to look at, it covers all the needs of the family that lives in it and works in a linear fashion which is condusive to a houshold of six or more (this version is a 6 room household with 5 sims, the style can be expand to 8 rooms and 8 sims if you like...just as long as you keep with the design spec).

Heres the image

Unbrokens Functional House Floorplan

Regardless, an architectural marvel its not...but it can handle the free flow of 6 sims easily, with very few pathing tantrums due to bathroom occupancy or kitchen blocking.

So far in my experimentation, its the most functional housing design to maximize gameplay efficiency. Walk time is minimal, quequeing up actions is easy and many basic functions have redunancy to allow for multiple sims to do the same thing at the same time.

So far, not a single day of school missed due to taking too long to shower and use the bathroom before sitting down to have breakfast.

As I said the design can be expanded to 8 rooms (though once the woohoo begins, some rooms become redundant) and the bedrooms can feasibly be expanded to have half baths in each room, on top of the main central large baths.

So there you go. Hope this helps you with some ideas.
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 12:41 PM
Oh and I should mention that not only is it extremely functional...but its also alot easier on the framerate and game performance.
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 1:54 PM
I upped a very functional modern family home. Guess it wasn't what they were looking for...

Pic Here
[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 06:10AM ]
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:01 PM
Unbroken any chance of upping that house to the downloads section?
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:05 PM
I'll build a new one and upload the package...sure. The one that I showed as an example has one slight symmetry problem that annoys me, though it doesn't affect gameplay at all. I'll get a basic, unfurnished functional version up sometime today.
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:09 PM
I like trying to make houses as efficient as possible. It means I essentially have some 'prefab' rooms that I just put in different positions. My favourite room is the single bedroom, which is just a 3x4 block. It contains a single bed, bedside table (usually with an alarm clock that goes unused, simply so some git wont stick the mail on it), wardrobe and floor lamp. I've found that more than enough for a single sim's bedroom.
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:19 PM
And it looked so well furnished Unbroken. Have to hire an interior decorator I guess.

[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 06:20AM ]
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:21 PM
Its actually fully furnished, the viewpoint of it doesn't really show that..but I didn't get excessive with the decoratives really.
Test Subject
#21 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:24 PM
I know that was part of the appeal of the one in the image, part of the reason I requested it, saves time having to add all the furniture and everything. Be great if you could up that one as well? Thanks either way.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 2:26 PM
Oh sure I can do a furnished and unfurnished version.

I was also planning on packaging a 4 room, 6 room and 8 room version as well.
#23 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 3:56 PM
I think it's quite annoying to be unable to place furniture at 45 degree angles. In real life the 2nd floor of this house
http://www.modthesims2.com/e107_files/public/8pointedstar.jpg
could have exactly the same layout as the 1st floor. In the sims however this can't be done.

Maybe someone can mod that.
Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 6:43 PM
I'm in the process of building some single floor houses with 2-3 bedrooms and full basements. I will upload as soon as they are all done. At the rate I'm going, it should take a week or so.
Test Subject
#25 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 7:09 PM
I just uploaded the 4 bedroom 6 bath SIMmetry house to the site. Its partially lit and furnished, leaving some work for whoever downloads it...but the symmetry is perfect and the gameflow with a house of 8 sims, 2 per room was excellent with zero pathing tantrums.

Its not prizewinning in looks..but it is, to my experimentation, maximum Sims gamplay efficiency.

[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 11:10AM ]
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 3