Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#301 Old 6th Jul 2018 at 6:31 PM
Default Beehive beta

I finally did it! What do you guys think?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#302 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 12:21 AM
That looks awesome. I like the one from your last post, too - the purple one- not for the color, but like the way that one part hangs beside her face.
Field Researcher
#303 Old 7th Jul 2018 at 6:44 AM
You did a very good job with those hairs! the beehive looks great and I love the texture. I also really like the one with the flip.
Lab Assistant
#304 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 6:02 AM
I'm working on my very first object recolors!

But not just any super simple objects for test recolors... No, I had to jump right into recoloring the Maxis saloon piano! In distressed wood, at that! This is a project that grew out of necessity. I had an awakening and I realized I needed shabby wooden pianos in my game. I was inspired by a picture of someone's Sim house with a not necessarily distressed wood but still scrumptiously shabby chic piano. It was an itch I had to scratch!

Here I am, a few wooden test textures later. I thought the texture I was using was distressed enough, but somehow the shabby factor got a little lost in the process, either as a result of the desaturate & recolor process, or the final texture being stretched over the piano in the game. They mostly just look wooden now - the white color especially.

I still really love the way they look from the back :lovestruc , but the way the texture is stretched over the upright part in the front (behind the three carved squares/rectangles) is disappointing. I'm also wondering if those carved squares might not look better with some kind of decorative little somethings inside them, rather than being bare wood.

I'm ALSO also wondering why the largest size texture image in SimPE of this piano is only 64x128 in size, when the tutorial I was following showed a Maxis sofa with a 1024x1024 texture.

I think I will try to redo my pianos without editing my distressed wood texture as much, to try to keep the rawness of the original image intact.

More inspiration! Isn't it just lovely! :lovestruc
Screenshots
Test Subject
#305 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:08 PM
Default Omg!!
Quote: Originally posted by carrit
You did a very good job with those hairs! the beehive looks great and I love the texture. I also really like the one with the flip.

omg carrit! you are awesome with yours too omg omg
Test Subject
#306 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:10 PM
Default the sims 2 beta vibes
wow! i managed to do this far... I cant believe it!
Screenshots
Instructor
#307 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TofuSnorlax
I realized I needed shabby wooden pianos in my game.

I just realized I need shabby wooden pianos in my game, too! Looks pretty good, as is, but I feel your pain on it not looking right stretched out on a mesh. With a custom object, you can manipulate the mesh and UV map to make it look like you want, but with a straight recolor, any adjustments have to be made in your graphics editor.

Might want to play around with resizing the texture in key spots (PITA!), darkening, and messing with the contrast. Sometimes even the little gimmicky addons in the graphics program actually work - to make your texture look more aged or weathered.
Test Subject
#308 Old 12th Jul 2018 at 10:39 AM
Default Doctor Dominion's hair
another hair conversion from The Sims 2 (PSP), this time is Doctor Dominion's hair. Just retextured and make it look better.
Screenshots
Instructor
#309 Old 13th Jul 2018 at 4:36 AM
Default Retexturing test: MLC 'Under-the-Stairs' Storage Set
First attempt to recolor/retexture anything: 'Wood' in Pooklet natural colors, while cushion is in unnatural colors.
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#310 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 5:50 PM
Default Cow!
So - I have been feverishly, for the last couple of days, been working on ... COWS! Neighbourhood (placed) cows to be precise. Ever since @Shastakiss posted a link to her shrunken version of Becks neighbourhood cow (so it fits - size-wise - better with Sunni's horses, seen in the back of the picture) I have been meaning to get on with this. There were still issues with the mesh - the shadow looked weird and, like a lot of neighbourhood stuff, the cows floated. You can see that on the right of the picture with the original black and white cow and my first thoughts about doing a brown cow recolour. Nope.

So I deleted the shadow mesh and texture and brought the mesh down a little then ... retexturing! From real cow hide. Then I made some calves and a bull mesh. I'm fairly pleased with those and now my farm can have MOAR livestock. I'm absurdly pleased with that black bull. There are 2 Friesians, an Ayrshire (apparently that bold brown is called 'red') and a Jersey. There's also an Ayrshire and Friesian bull as well as the black one. I wanted to make more poses but I'm not the best mesher in the world and the mesh doesn't have a skeleton (which makes things easier). And anyway, neighbourhood objects don't do recolours and there are already 10 of them to clutter up the catalogue - if I add some Jersey and Ayrshire calfs, that will add 6 or 9 more. Enough for now I think.

I guess I should go off and make some pictures now and upload them somewhere.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#311 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 11:13 PM
@maxon, they look great! :lovestruc (the shadow was bugging me too haha)
Instructor
#312 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 2:41 AM Last edited by LFact : 17th Jul 2018 at 3:00 AM.
Default Retexturing test: MLC 'Under-the-Stairs' Storage Set (Take 4??)
It's the 4th texture I'm testing, actually. Previous(3rd) texture was not that bad alone, but due to how this set is mapped, 'ever-repeating-rings-on-column of drawers' can be sore in my eyes...
Once I'm satisfied with result, I'll try with hafiseazale's MM wood color actions and AlfredAskew's wood color actions.
Screenshots
Inventor
#313 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 1:36 AM
I retextured and recolored one of my favorite Fanseelamb hairs to Poppet's v2 textures and colors. They look really great :lovestruc
Screenshots

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Scholar
#314 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I retextured and recolored one of my favorite Fanseelamb hairs to Poppet's v2 textures and colors. They look really great :lovestruc

Lovely job with your retexture Prima. I can't do retextures myself because first of all of my hands get really unsteady whenever I draw and I just suck at art in general. Do you have any plans to share it?
Inventor
#315 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Lovely job with your retexture Prima. I can't do retextures myself because first of all of my hands get really unsteady whenever I draw and I just suck at art in general. Do you have any plans to share it?

All I did was copy/paste Poppet's desaturated texture over the hair in pieces, as stretching it warps the quality, then I used her actions to recolor @Squidconqueror . It's really easy once you get used to it when the hair textures are just straight across, the harder ones (with headpieces or curved) I haven't yet accomplished. And I already created the zip file for upload, I just have to take in-game pics.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Lab Assistant
#316 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 3:54 AM
I've got recoloring fever!

I've been working for the past few weeks on recoloring an entire converted furniture set by hafiseazale. I've been learning so much along the way and redoing things to perfect them. I've done a whole truckload of wood recolors and now I'm going back to add to my printed fabric recolors. Made my own ruffle trim for the sofa and chair by scrunching the heck out of the original texture. I will be so excited to share the whole set when it's finished.

My latest print might strike some as being uglycute, and others just as ugly. Personally I really like it, and the whole "grandma's house" vibe of the set really tickles my fancy.

Test Subject
#317 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 4:25 AM Last edited by spendel : 27th Jul 2018 at 4:41 AM.
Default smooth as sugar
I'm making the sims 2 beta revival project. Also, this is just how I retexture hair. It may not be the best or most perfect way, but here goes nothing..
Screenshots
Scholar
#318 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 7:07 AM
I've got recoloring fever!

I've been working for the past few weeks on recoloring an entire converted furniture set by hafiseazale. I've been learning so much along the way and redoing things to perfect them. I've done a whole truckload of wood recolors and now I'm going back to add to my printed fabric recolors. Made my own ruffle trim for the sofa and chair by scrunching the heck out of the original texture. I will be so excited to share the whole set when it's finished.

My latest print might strike some as being uglycute, and others just as ugly. Personally I really like it, and the whole "grandma's house" vibe of the set really tickles my fancy.

You've done a wonderful job with your recolors. Did you make the textures yourself?
Quote: Originally posted by spendel
I'm making the sims 2 beta revival project. Also, this is just how I retexture hair. It may not be the best or most perfect way, but here goes nothing..

Cool do you plan on uploading somewhere? I think it's pretty amazing that people are still interested in recreating old stuff that had been scraped from the game during development or otherwise removed from the finished version.
Lab Assistant
#319 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
You've done a wonderful job with your recolors. Did you make the textures yourself?

Thank you! No, I haven't made any of the textures myself. The wood grain on all the furniture is just as it came with the set originally (conversion from TS3 apparently) so I guess that's from EAxis. The checkered-esque pattern of the fabrics I got from https://patterncooler.com/ which is such a great site for fabric prints. They come seamless and you can pick which color every part of the pattern should be. And they even have a "fabric twill" texture overlay so you're not just getting a flat-looking digital image. There are one or two other sites I have gotten prints from, which I'm trying to keep organized and documented so I can credit everything properly.

Now I've been working on cutting and slashing and pattern-filling different parts of the swags on the curtains so I can use prints on them and have them actually look like they have folds in the fabric, rather than just some fake curtain shadows pasted over a perfectly even and seamless pattern.
Instructor
#320 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 12:04 PM
Default Retexturing test: MLC 'Under-the-Stairs' Storage Set: Cushion
Oops, stretched texture. Used GIMP and G'MIC to make canvas-like texture once, and applied hafiseazale's(I think) IKEA fabric color actions.
Screenshots
Instructor
#321 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 10:42 PM
Well, today I've been working on a new little thing for my game... It's a recolor of a mesh that Charity made after one my WCIF XD I simply love the top, but I wanted more colors. I ended up with 30 new ones, although I think at least 20 of them are useless.
I'm done with all the creation process, I just need to check how they look in game and take some pics; if the creator will allow it, I'll share them

Meanwhile I fixed another top I made a while ago... So much work lol
Scholar
#322 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 11:34 PM
Thank you! No, I haven't made any of the textures myself. The wood grain on all the furniture is just as it came with the set originally (conversion from TS3 apparently) so I guess that's from EAxis. The checkered-esque pattern of the fabrics I got from https://patterncooler.com/ which is such a great site for fabric prints. They come seamless and you can pick which color every part of the pattern should be. And they even have a "fabric twill" texture overlay so you're not just getting a flat-looking digital image. There are one or two other sites I have gotten prints from, which I'm trying to keep organized and documented so I can credit everything properly.

Now I've been working on cutting and slashing and pattern-filling different parts of the swags on the curtains so I can use prints on them and have them actually look like they have folds in the fabric, rather than just some fake curtain shadows pasted over a perfectly even and seamless pattern.

You've still done a great job with what you have. I'm a terrible artist so I can't make things look as good as you.
Alchemist
#323 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 2:15 AM
Let us know when you upload that @TofuSnorlax. I like the old fashioned vibe that pattern gives off.
Instructor
#324 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 11:04 AM
Default Retexturing test: MLC 'Under-the-Stairs' Storage Set: Cushion (Continued)
Testing with fabric overlay from patterncooler.com. Due to stretching, I don't think patterns work well, unless they are plaids. Oh, maybe it's the beginning of my coloring madness... :D
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#325 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 12:07 AM
@omglo I will definitely be sharing it as soon as it's done! You'll see it here in the MTS Downloads section someday.

I'm working on the fabrics now, including solid colors which can be mixed and matched with more than one print. The idea is that you can create a living room featuring a cute print, but without having to coat the entire room in that print from top to bottom. I like being able to break it up a little with matching solids. But I'm aiming to keep the solids matchable to several different prints to cut down on files and keep from getting confused when trying to find which one color is supposed to be the exact match out of all the options.

Please excuse the curtains in my test living room, they have not yet been made to match this purple set.
Page 13 of 22