Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 2:53 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 31st Jan 2010 at 2:58 PM. Reason: Merged posts - do not double post
Default Coloring a new mesh. (Please direct me ..... I am lost in all of this info.)
I've followed most of the tutorials for bodyshop.

All I can seem to find is how to recolor a mesh.(I know how to do this.)

What I need to know is how to color a new mesh, that hasn't been colored before. Is it possible to do this?

If you could tell me or direct me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I've noticed alot of downloads for meshes of clothing without recolors.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 3:00 PM
Please do not double post, use the edit button.

This sounds like you want to recolor bodyshop items and not objects, so I am moving to Bodyshop Recoloring. Recoloring a custom mesh that shows up in Bodyshop should be the same or very similar process to recoloring EA/Maxis stuff.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:55 PM
But it doesn't appear in bodyshop unless it has already been colored at least once.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 3:33 PM
Default textering or recoloring
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Please do not double post, use the edit button.

This sounds like you want to recolor bodyshop items and not objects, so I am moving to Bodyshop Recoloring. Recoloring a custom mesh that shows up in Bodyshop should be the same or very similar process to recoloring EA/Maxis stuff.
I seem to have the same problem. I see all kinds of tutorials except how to put a texture or color on a brand new plain mesh that does not inklude any recolor files. As the mesh by itself can not appear in bodyshop so we can't edit it in gimp or other program, which steps must one take to add some texture to it so it has an alfa&bump file so one can edit it further. If you can expalin this a bit slowly since you seem quite knowledgable in this matter you'd be helping a lot' Please don't assume I know a lot although I personally consider myself a good recolorer & all my work is done very precisely showing even wrinkles on the fabric in the game . I'm just a new starter, when it comes to meshing & am about to purchase the Milkshake. Please explain this a bit if you have the time& the patience. I'm currently trying to mergh a plaid mini skirt(I've already extrated in SimPE & deleted everything including modesty stuff exept the skirt itself) from maxis to a body mesh that I've created which looks & functions great in the game but how am I suppose to transfer that original texture from the maxis mini & keeping the same body which embodies a solid swimsiut. Does the miniskirt texture automatically include with the body mesh when I merge the two meshes togheter? It's a lots of info.. Please help if you can. Thank you.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 3:53 PM
If your recoloring someone else's mesh then they must have a recolor package to go along with it, otherwise it won't show up in bodyshop. I can't help getting that, so you probably should contact the creator of the mesh.

If your creating your own mesh then you still need that recolor to work with. I think this tutorial will explain things. If not I will have to find someone who knows more about clothes than simply putting them on.

Tutorials:Unimesh_1_-_New_Mesh_Basicswiki
Forum Resident
#6 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
If your recoloring someone else's mesh then they must have a recolor package to go along with it, otherwise it won't show up in bodyshop. I can't help getting that, so you probably should contact the creator of the mesh.

If your creating your own mesh then you still need that recolor to work with. I think this tutorial will explain things. If not I will have to find someone who knows more about clothes than simply putting them on.

Tutorials:Unimesh_1_-_New_Mesh_Basicswiki
I thank you for the snab responce however,that tutorial is a good beginning & it has helped me to get started but it still is not answeing my question as here i'm trying to merge a full body& a skirt together. As I have created a female body with larger proportions below the waist line i have to I guess separate the groups and make the skirt fit the body somehow without having those thighs & parts of the buttocks sticking out of it & then renaming&regrouping it.But then remains the texture of the original skirt. Does that disappear in this process? Am i gonna get a body with swimsuit& no skirt texture since I'll be coping the comment from the body after regrouping and renaming the whole thing as body?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by telefen
I thank you for the snab responce however,that tutorial is a good beginning & it has helped me to get started but it still is not answeing my question as here i'm trying to merge a full body& a skirt together. As I have created a female body with larger proportions below the waist line i have to I guess separate the groups and make the skirt fit the body somehow without having those thighs & parts of the buttocks sticking out of it & then renaming&regrouping it.But then remains the texture of the original skirt. Does that disappear in this process? Am i gonna get a body with swimsuit& no skirt texture since I'll be coping the comment from the body after regrouping and renaming the whole thing as body?

You can't do that. It won't work.

If you combine a full body mesh with a bottom (skirt) mesh, even if you rename the whole thing "body", you're going to have a messed-up UV map. Unless you're working with an alpha skirt (and I'm guessing you're not), you shouldn't have thighs and buttocks sticking through the skirt.

Think of a Sim mesh as a blow-up doll or a balloon. It's hollow. A skirt isn't really a skirt; it's just the shape of a skirt. You can't look under it... and even if you could, you wouldn't see any legs; it's just a cylinder.

If you want your Sim to have fuller thighs and buttocks and wear a skirt, you just need to increase the size of the skirt. If the lower legs are thicker than normal and you still want to use them, you can cut them off and attach them to the bottom of the skirt. But if you try to put legs under a skirt, it's going to mess up the textures (as well as make a mesh with an unnecessarily high polygon count).
Forum Resident
#8 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 11:16 PM
Thanks a lot fakepeeps7. Sorry I missed your responce cause I've been bussy with Milkshake&simpe&so. That skirt I had completely hollowed out& it was just like a skirt & I imported it on top of my swimuit body mesh. It could have fited with some scaling but I got tired and there was the question about renaming or bone assingnment & so on. So, I just dumped the whole project. Thank you anyway for coming to my help. This is some difficult stuff but, I'm patient.Have a nice day.