Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 7:27 AM
Default Lag problems in play mode and building mode need help
Hello, so lately I have been trying to figure out how to stop my game from lagging so much. It's honestly to the point where it's not playable in build mode or play mode. So somebody suggested merging my sims 3 cc, so I did and my game still lagged as if I hadn't done anything. I decided to remove some cc to see if that would help and nothing. Everything is all good in create a sim, and my game loads at a good speed too. I only got base game, the sims 3 pets, and seasons with Nraas mods and the cc of course. I don't have a huge amount of cc either.. ( I mainly got horse/pet related stuff because I love the horses and pets :lovestruc ) My computer is decent, we bought it all new and fresh and it's not even half a year old yet. We made sure it's a gaming computer with a good graphics card, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB . It's playing all my other games great without a problem. Is there anything that I can do to help it lag less? (Willing to do anything) I fully understand that there's no way to just stop all lag, I just need it to be playable
Thank you in advance
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 8:50 AM
What have you changed since it was OK to play? Also, check the information here, tons of it available about performance.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:52 AM
CC Magic. Package your CC with this for better loading time and performance. For me I have noticed some items don't like being packaged, meaning they won't show up in-game if you do. If you aren't scared of third party programs I use Advance System Care to stop any unnecessary processes and delete junk files and such. My game loads pretty dang fast now that my package folder is less absurd. I have some lag issues, but I don't have such a great computer and far too much CC. It's easy to unzip your packages and search for individual items with CC Magic as well.

Check out my blog - Nostalgia Gamez
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 3:28 AM
When did you first started noticing lag? Did you add a piece of CC that started causing lag? Something bad CC essentially forces the game to repeatedly read it, causing lag.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 4:07 AM
Unless you are playing in a well designed world suitable for pets, I wouldn't recommend having pets and/or strays unless you worked out any footpath issues. Sometimes routing can be a nightmare for the extra calculation for animals in worlds and lots that are not designed with them in mind. That means everyone in the world who owns a pet such as a dog, cat or horse should have adequate space on their home lot and community lots should take into account pets as well to prevent or, at the very least, minimize traffic backup and/or stuck Sims. Bad routing and stuck Sims can slow down the game and possibly cause crashing. Most of it can be minimized by making sure all lots in the world are space appropriate for the members of the household.

Some players also do not realize that using move objects on (MOO) irresponsibly can cause these issues. There is a reason why the game tells player what the footprint is of objects though some may need more space for the best traffic flow.

Too many mods, outdated mods, conflicting mods, cc with high poly counts, or corrupted cc will also decrease game performance.

Broken objects in the world that Sims keep trying to use and sometimes get stuck in an endless loop is fixable by resetting the whole world every so often. Which resets all Sims and all objects in the world. Always save beforehand in case it freezes or crashes to desktop.

In-game options, if set too high, can cause performance issues if the computer configuration is not up to par to handle more demanding processing and/or visuals. I don't know too much about computers but I do know that the graphics card and processor are not the only important hardware when it comes to a gaming PC. In fact, everything matters to get good performance. Some don't even care about the motherboard but that is just as important because it can bottleneck everything else. While other games may run fine, unlike TS3 for some, well...perhaps TS3 uses a lot more A.I. processing than most games as it is simulating every single Sim in the neighborhood and constantly updating data for every Sim as well.

There's a lot of things that can cause lag, freezing and/or crashing. Hopefully this helps in getting started to having better game performance.
https://www.nraas.net/community/TIP...AME-PERFORMANCE
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kathy_SR
We made sure it's a gaming computer with a good graphics card, NVIDA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB .

This is the part that stuck out to me. TS3 hasn't been updated in a long time and so it doesn't "know" about modern video cards. There's a tutorial somewhere - I don't remember where - about how to get the game to recognize a newer graphics card. I wonder if that is causing the problems you're having.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 8:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
There's a tutorial somewhere - I don't remember where - about how to get the game to recognize a newer graphics card. I wonder if that is causing the problems you're having.

I do not know what effects unrecognized graphics cards caused for other people, but for me, the game just looked badly and it didn't have the right screen resolution. But I haven't experienced lag because of that.

Still, if you get your game to recognize your graphics card, then I don't see why any caused lag (if this can cause lag anyway) would persist.

[EDIT] If anything about graphics, did you change any settings? This might then be the problem. For instance, I have a weak graphics card, and if I turn on advanced rendering, the game lags to the point that it is not playable anymore.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 10:28 AM
Hello all, thank you very much for taking time to help me.

Quote:
What have you changed since it was OK to play?

From what I can remember, not to much. Just added some more cc. Thank you

Quote:
I use Advance System Care to stop any unnecessary processes and delete junk files and such.

I recently got two different programs sorta like that too. something to scan my computer and the other one updates things. I think it might have helped my game a little bit. Thank you!

Quote:
There's a lot of things that can cause lag, freezing and/or crashing. Hopefully this helps in getting started to having better game performance.

Thank you so much for all the time you put into that message, this'll help me a lot thank you!

Quote:
When did you first started noticing lag? Did you add a piece of CC that started causing lag?

Not sure, I usually just get a bunch of cc and test it out and play around with it. But I can't actually remember when my game started lagging bad. Thank you tho

Quote:
If anything about graphics, did you change any settings? This might then be the problem. For instance, I have a weak graphics card, and if I turn on advanced rendering, the game lags to the point that it is not playable anymore.

I got my sim detail up to the high setting, and a few others. So maybe I should lower it? Thank you !
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 2:40 PM
Here is a ton of stuff for you to do to help your game, have fun (I highly recommend the "recognize the graphics card" and Nraas Error Trap, Master Controller and Overwatch").

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi.../?id=1131162350
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
This is the part that stuck out to me. TS3 hasn't been updated in a long time and so it doesn't "know" about modern video cards. There's a tutorial somewhere - I don't remember where - about how to get the game to recognize a newer graphics card. I wonder if that is causing the problems you're having.

Not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about, I'm guessing something different, and just in case there's an add-on that is updated with most of the latest graphic cards starting 2013+.
https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/...tab=description

My GTX 660 is from 2012 and never had an issue being recognized so that is why I take an educated guess that 2012 is the last year The Sims Studio updated the graphics card since I read some who has video cards from 2013 didn't recognize TS3.

Quote: Originally posted by TheThirdWizard
I do not know what effects unrecognized graphics cards caused for other people, but for me, the game just looked badly and it didn't have the right screen resolution. But I haven't experienced lag because of that.

Still, if you get your game to recognize your graphics card, then I don't see why any caused lag (if this can cause lag anyway) would persist.

[EDIT] If anything about graphics, did you change any settings? This might then be the problem. For instance, I have a weak graphics card, and if I turn on advanced rendering, the game lags to the point that it is not playable anymore.

A reminder...always make sure you update your graphics driver to the latest one. If there were any past issues with a certain game and it had been addressed by a new driver update, then updating would immediately fix any issues related to the graphics card.

Before I couldn't say anything of personal experience because I didn't have a graphics card that was 2013+ but now that I do, here is my personal experience. First of all, I updated the graphics card driver. Then I installed The Sims 3 and of course I would get the video card is not recognized notification because it is not added. However, I set my preferred options, restarted the game and then played and literally could not find any issues playing TS3 at all. According to what alfa1295 says, in their experience the game would crash and couldn't set the options because it would revert back to its default. Personally, I have not had this issue at all. So maybe a driver update was not available at that time and/or NVidia/AMD did not address those graphic card issues specifically for TS3. Though, reading on the NVidia supported games list, it does mention The Sims 3.

I was going to try out The Sims 3 GPU Support Add-on but in my case I didn't need it. Personally, TS3 not recognizing the graphics card did not affect anything graphics or gameplay wise...so far.

The reason I'm bringing this up again is four reasons.
1. The Sims 3 GPU Support Add-on might help others
2. A reminder to update your graphics driver from the official source
3. To share my personal experience because it might help along with every one else's personal experience with graphics cards 2013+
4. The Sims 3 heavily relies on the CPU in order to simulate gameplay as intended. A CPU with slow performance will clearly show that same performance in TS3. A CPU with fast performance will clearly show that same performance in TS3.

Open up any of your Read Me files from The Sims 3 but Into the Future or the latest EP may have more information added. Start > Computer > C Drive > Program files/Program files x86 > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Support > Read Me

"The Sims 3 is a real-time 3D game that requires the majority of
your computer's processing power. Other programs operating in
the background may slow it down or cause framerate hitches.
For best results, be sure to close any background applications
while playing The Sims 3.

Fullscreen performance is generally better than windowed
performance."
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 3:39 PM
Has there, in this entire topic, still been no mention of the thread directly below it?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#12 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Has there, in this entire topic, still been no mention of the thread directly below it?

but did you actually post your mod yet? I can't wait to try it out when it's ready.
Theorist
#13 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:57 PM
Nobody’s mentioned RAM? The most important thing in Ts3?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 1:41 PM
That's easy. Don't settle for less than 8 gigs. Half of it for TS3, half of it for Windows. Not that you'd have an easy time getting TS3 to use 4 gigs of RAM.....

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )