Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 10:33 PM Last edited by t888 : 16th Feb 2017 at 3:44 AM.
Default Tattoo Prob
I need help straightening out a tattoo. I made it with 1 color, preset to brownish yet it can not be recolored and is only black. It seems instead of having recolorable channels only the alpha channel works. What have I done wrong? How do I make the recolorable color channels work? I can send the files if need be.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 9:50 AM
Yeah, posting the files would be helpful

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 3:12 PM
Do you need the image file, the tsr file or both?
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 3:14 PM
Can you upload it as a package? I mostly want to take a look at the XMLs and textures.

But I suppose you could upload the TSRW file as well, it's just that I've had some issues with that format in the past and prefer avoiding it.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 3:20 PM
I'm not sure how to make it a package, sorry.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MabariTat.rar (60.5 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: .dds .wrk
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 7:24 AM Last edited by Blyss : 17th Feb 2017 at 9:08 AM.
I went ahead and took a look and seems like the problem is the Alpha Channel of your image.

In the case of Ambitions Tattoos, the Alpha Channel acts as a recolourable channel too, kind of like patterns. If you want to have 4 recolourable channels, that is. But you could decide to just have 3 (RGB).

What you have to do is modify your dds image to reflect that. Since your alpha channel is white over your whole design, it will take over the other channels.

So either make it black (3 channels) or use the same method as you have for the other channels (RGB) and only have a part of your design in white in the Alpha channel to add a 4th one.

In TSRW, re-import your dds in Core area.
Choose the colours for your preset in Color Area.
And in MaskInfo, look if you want to disable one of the four colours (3 channels) or set everything to True (4 channels).

Don't forget to delete other presets, if you only want to have one.

Here's a tutorial with maybe more explanations.
Another Tutorial by Cmar using Tattooinator, but it's more to illustrate what your dds file should look like. Edit: I went through the Internet archive, to get the pictures to show up.
And this thread was made to showcase Tattooinator by Cmar, but there are also some pictures in the replies, if you're interested in seeing other examples.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#7 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 11:04 AM
That's some interesting information you have there Blyss!

@t888, in case you were wondering how to export your projects as a package, you first want to go to 'edit' (it's right in the top of the 3D window screen, next to file, etc) Then, click 'project content'. A new window pops up, displaying everything needed to turn it into a package. all you wanna do here is clicking the 'export' button. (which is also right in the top on the left side of the package window ^-~ )
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
I went ahead and took a look and seems like the problem is the Alpha Channel of your image.

In the case of Ambitions Tattoos, the Alpha Channel acts as a recolourable channel too, kind of like patterns. If you want to have 4 recolourable channels, that is. But you could decide to just have 3 (RGB).

What you have to do is modify your dds image to reflect that. Since your alpha channel is white over your whole design, it will take over the other channels.

So either make it black (3 channels) or use the same method as you have for the other channels (RGB) and only have a part of your design in white in the Alpha channel to add a 4th one.

In TSRW, re-import your dds in Core area.
Choose the colours for your preset in Color Area.
And in MaskInfo, look if you want to disable one of the four colours (3 channels) or set everything to True (4 channels).

Don't forget to delete other presets, if you only want to have one.

Here's a tutorial with maybe more explanations.
Another Tutorial by Cmar using Tattooinator, but it's more to illustrate what your dds file should look like. Edit: I went through the Internet archive, to get the pictures to show up.
And this thread was made to showcase Tattooinator by Cmar, but there are also some pictures in the replies, if you're interested in seeing other examples.

I thank you greatly! I knew it must have something to do with the alpha channel but not what. Now, after you explained it like that, I think I know. The tutorial I followed was either from before Ambitions or misinformed. I was under the impressions that you needed the alpha channel to mask out the black background like with facial hair, eyebrows, makeup, etc. Armed with new information, thanks to you, I'm ready to give it another shot.

Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
That's some interesting information you have there Blyss!

@t888, in case you were wondering how to export your projects as a package, you first want to go to 'edit' (it's right in the top of the 3D window screen, next to file, etc) Then, click 'project content'. A new window pops up, displaying everything needed to turn it into a package. all you wanna do here is clicking the 'export' button. (which is also right in the top on the left side of the package window ^-~ )

Oh! That'll be helpful for the future! Thank you as well!
Instructor
#9 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 4:16 PM
You're welcome! And yes, it can be a bit confusing the first time you encounter those kind of textures, because in most others the alpha channel acts as you describe: a way to tell what's visible and what is invisible.

Hopefully, you'll be full of success now!
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 7:04 PM Last edited by t888 : 17th Feb 2017 at 7:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
You're welcome! And yes, it can be a bit confusing the first time you encounter those kind of textures, because in most others the alpha channel acts as you describe: a way to tell what's visible and what is invisible.

Hopefully, you'll be full of success now!

I have arrived at success, in a roundabout matter. When I removed the alpha channel I got all black nothingness. When I used image convert on tattooinator, I got it to work, but I'd love to know how to get it to work myself. I examined both my file and the generated file but couldn't tell a difference aside from bit depth (mine is 24 bits; The generated one is 32 bits), does that make a difference. Oh, and I'm using photoshop (CS4). Any advice?
Instructor
#11 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 7:58 PM
@t888
The alpha is required for the tattoo to display correctly, that's why you have to make it completely black if you don't intend to use it as a channel. Maybe, I should have made this point clearer when I explained previously, sorry about that!
By Converting the image in Tattooinator, you actually restored the alpha that was missing, which is why you got it to work this time around.