Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 2:29 AM
Default DatGen Help and Support Thread
Hello DatGen users. I'm starting a thread for help and support of DatGen, along with some built-in improvements in DatGen's help and support features. Please post to this thread if you run into errors of any kind while using DatGen. A full exception report is usually generated whenever an error occurrs in DatGen, and you can copy and paste the text of this information to this thread.

A new development version of DatGen, which is beeing uploaded now, includes a new startup screen. I'm hoping that this new screen will help users solve common problems on their own, so they don't have to go digging around the net for help. This new version of DatGen also introduces some new startup features which will request some basic configuration settings the first time you run DatGen. Namely, you'll be asked to verify the paths to your Sims 2 downloads folder and Sims 2 game folder. Plugins, like CHARRED and Download Maid, will use these paths when searching for files, rather than autodetected ones. I'm hoping this will solve a lot of the missing path errors people who use non-english versions of windows or the game have been encountering.

Finally, DatGen will check version numbers, and will alert you when it detects that an upgrade has occurred. New releases of DatGen, particularly development releases, can introduce new bugs. Hopefully an awareness that a new version can introduce new bugs will reduce the number of cries for help until the next official release.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 8:06 PM
Default Mesh previewer
I have posted my problem in another thread because I did not see this one (I was almost sleeping on my keyboard...) but perhaps it fits better here.

I'm running DatGen under portuguese version of TS2 (with EP1) and windows XP, and until now I had no problems: got all plugins working and no errors.

But now I noticed I've 'lost' the mesh previewer and as I saw it before I'm a little bit confused with what may happened.

I've all windows updates and I'm running your last debug version of Datgen.

I tried to preview several files, from different creators giving some time to Datgen to perform the task, but the mesh previewer didn't appear.

What shall I do? :confused:

(Not very good with PC stuff.. )
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 10:16 PM
Have you tried previewing some of the original Maxis objects? A lot of custom objects don't have valid GMDC files, and I havn't updated the GMDC code to support and work with all the different possible errored formats.
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 11:01 PM
Yes, I did, both in TS2 and Uni.
After trying 6 or 7 geometry containers I get a Critical Exception Report, but no details on it.
However, none of them shows the mesh preview, that's why I'm confused. I also thought I would have no problems with the originals.
I can get the targa and textures images.
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 11:28 PM
Forgot to say that I also tried with version 0.78 and 0.79 (first debug. I think this one now is the 2nd?) as it worked fine when you first explained how to use it.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 1:23 AM
Hmm, I', at a loss without more details. Can you post the last few error messages in your datgen error log? Its <datgenfolder>\logs\datgen_errors.log.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 8:33 PM
ok, here they go:

----------------- [2005-07-03 23:10:44Z] -----------------
---------- [Exception Report (1)] ----------
Type: Direct3DXException
Stack trace: at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream, Int32 readBytes)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Device device, Stream stream)
at DatGen.Plugins.TS2.SceneGraph.ModelPreviewer.PopulateViewer() in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins.TS2.RCOL\ModelPreviewer.cs:line 516
at DatGen.Plugins.TS2.SceneGraph.ModelPreviewer.set_SelectedFile(DatSubFile value) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins.TS2.RCOL\ModelPreviewer.cs:line 407
at DatGen.Apps.FileBrowser.listFiles2_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Apps\Screens\FileBrowser.cs:line 3870

It's 20.24h here in Portugal and I did not use Datgen today (just S2PCI) but got these errors

--------====[DatGen Exception Report Log 05-07-2005 19:17]====--------

----------------- [2005-07-05 19:17:56Z] -----------------
Type: ReflectionTypeLoadException
Message: One or more of the types in the assembly unable to load.
Stack trace: at System.Reflection.Module.GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
at DatGen.AssemblyCache.FindAndAddTypes(Assembly asm, String name) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\AssemblyCache.cs:line 181
at DatGen.AssemblyCache.Add(String asmPath) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\AssemblyCache.cs:line 104
at DatGen.Plugins.PluginManager.Initialize() in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins\PluginManager.cs:line 588
---------- [Extended information] ----------
Full assembly loading exception report follows:

Types in assembly:

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------- [2005-07-05 19:17:56Z] -----------------
Type: ReflectionTypeLoadException
Message: One or more of the types in the assembly unable to load.
Stack trace: at System.Reflection.Module.GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
at DatGen.AssemblyCache.FindAndAddTypes(Assembly asm, String name) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\AssemblyCache.cs:line 181
at DatGen.AssemblyCache.Add(String asmPath) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\AssemblyCache.cs:line 104
at DatGen.Plugins.PluginManager.Initialize() in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins\PluginManager.cs:line 588
---------- [Extended information] ----------
Full assembly loading exception report follows:

Types in assembly:

Hope this means anything to you
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 8:50 PM
I saw in the errors log the 'Direct 3D' is mentionned several times.
If I have a problem with the 3D in DirectX, shouldn't it affect other applications?
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 10:10 PM
Well, not neccesarily. Its possible that I'm trying to do things with my 3D viewer that your video cards isn't capable of doing. My little viewer isn't nearly as advanced as a 3D game engine or the rendering systems used in 3D modeling and animation apps.

There are a lot of things I'm probably doing that arn't possible on all video cards. What video card are you currently using? It seems that the way I'm trying to load textures isn't working on your card, so I'll probably have to add a check for your type, and add a workaround.
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 11:57 PM
I'm using a RADEON 9200 SE (128mb).

As I didn't look to the error log before (didn't cross my mind...lol) I never thought of the 3D issue.
When I updated the directX to last version you said
I didn't confirm if my video controllers were also updated and as got the mesh previewer working I wasn't worried.
I'm checking for video controllers updates now and
will inform you asap.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Jul 2005 at 12:18 AM
Controllers updated but still the same - no mesh previewer.
However, if there is a 'conflict' between our video cards how was it possible to me to load the previewer before?
(Sorry, I'm really a zero with the PCs mysteries)
Test Subject
#12 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 3:26 AM
Default In need of serious help
hi, im totally new to datgen and am currently running into problems with it. I get an error that says:the application failed to initialize properly: And in acuality i dont think im installing it in the right place, please i need someone smart to help me with this
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 4:15 AM
You need the .NET Framework v1.1. Check out www.datgen.info/faq.aspx to get all the required downloads.
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 8:16 AM
DarkMatter,

I haven't used Datgen in awhile and when I went to run download maid this morning I get this error:

Type: UnauthorizedAccessException

Message: Access to the path "C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\TSData\Res\Sims3D\_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package" is denied.

Stack trace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.IO.File.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at DatGen.DBPF.IO.DatFile.Connect() in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\IO\DatFile.cs:line 2160

at DatGen.DBPF.IO.DatFile.Find(DatFindFileCriteria criteria) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\IO\DatFile.cs:line 937

at DatGen.DBPF.IO.DatNamespace.Find(DatFindFileCriteria criteria) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.DBPF\IO\DatNamespace.cs:line 351

at DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner.BuildSearchIndex(UInt32 tid) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner\DLCleaner.cs:line 863

at DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner.BuildIndexes() in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner\DLCleaner.cs:line 925

at DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Data & Stuff\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DBPF Editor\DatGen.Plugins.TS2.DLCleaner\DLCleaner.cs:line 1358

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I wouldn't post this here as the last post is so old, but the forum link on your site goes to a broken link at TSR and there isn't a contact e-mail address on your site. Is datgen supported anymore or should I remove it from my system?

Thanks.

JLonier

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Test Subject
#15 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 5:30 AM
Default please help finding orphaned meshes for hair and clothes
I tried looking for orphaned meshes with your program. I'm not sureif I should be contactingyou orthe creator of the plug in. The link to the forum on your webpage is broken as is anything leading to the development team. When itis finding textures it says failed toload resources from resource file. Please check your setup. I tried to learn hoe to figure out which hair and clothing meshes are actually in use manually but I am hopeless. I tried SimPE too but it was even more impossinle. I tried redownloading the program but itdidn't help. Is this part incomplete? I just realized today that whenI delete a file the mesh doesn't disappear too. I've had a game for ages, since it came out. I don't have tons of meshes but I can't really think of a way to figure out what is garbage. The scanning worked for some other things, just not the meshes and recolours. I solved the recolour problem already though. If you could tell me a way of finding out the filename of the mesh that each texture is using, that would be okay. Scanning would be better though.
Test Subject
#16 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 12:22 AM
Can't find Mesh Previewer as well...
I recently installed DataGen (Brilliant Stuff indeed). But the problem comes up after installation. I can't find the Mesh Previewer as I openning the official object "AlianWare Computer". I am bit confused, coz in your sreenshot I can clearly see the Tad of Mesh previewer but I don't have it.
I checked my plugin folder, nothing called mesh something there...

Could you please zip the plugin files and email it to me?

[email protected]

Thx a million.........

Forgot to mention, I have dx 9 and .net installed...
Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 6:06 PM
thx for the info TickleonTheTum