Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 7:02 PM
Default Question: Making object in 3ds max possible?
Is it possible? I know you can use blender but i'm not too familiar with that program and it seems harder for me. Less intuitive. Can you make decors with 3ds max and convert it somehow to a .package or .sims3pack ?
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 10:02 PM
Blender and 3ds max are meshing programs, you can not create a package or sims3pack with it.
I use TSRW i combination with S3PE and some other plugins to create my sims3pack.
I use Milkshape for the meshing part.

I know TSRW has a FBX plugin but i have no idea if it is compatible with the FBX plugin for 3ds max.
Last time i checked it still contained some bugs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Blender and 3ds max are meshing programs, you can not create a package or sims3pack with it.
I use TSRW i combination with S3PE and some other plugins to create my sims3pack.
I use Milkshape for the meshing part.

I know TSRW has a FBX plugin but i have no idea if it is compatible with the FBX plugin for 3ds max.
Last time i checked it still contained some bugs.

Yeah, i just got TSRW application thingy. I have milkshape as well (full ver.). Not S3PE. Isn't that the same as TSRW?? All i'm trying to do is create a square decor with a image map (texture) on it. How would i do that in milkshape?

I also imported a .3ds files (from 3d max) and tried to export it as a TSRW file and then tried to import it on TSRW (replacing a decor that was in there, a tissue box with it) and it said an error.

Any clue on how to create a TOTALLY new object (decoration) Thanks for the response :D
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 12:26 AM
Make sure you install the TSRW plugins for Milkshape first.
You find them in the TSRW directory, copy and past them in the MS directory.
Clone a object that comes close to wat you want to create and export the meshes in the meshtab.
Those meshes you can open with the WSO importer in Milkshape.

Some objects contain a skeleton and altho the skeleton itself isn't used, it is there to assigne boneweights to vertice(if necesarry)
TSRW also has a object exporter(OBJ) but it does not support bones.

I tried the FBX importer/exporter for 3dsMAX but it didn't work(i have 3ds MAX 9)
Some people only use Milkshape to convert the file and to assigne boneweights to the vertice.

So you could create your files as obj files and convert them with MS later.
Just keep in mind you often have to load your original clone first in MS to get the skeleton
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 12:29 AM Last edited by obscuren : 20th Nov 2011 at 2:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Make sure you install the TSRW plugins for Milkshape first.
You find them in the TSRW directory, copy and past them in the MS directory.
Clone a object that comes close to wat you want to create and export the meshes in the meshtab.
Those meshes you can open with the WSO importer in Milkshape.

Some objects contain a skeleton and altho the skeleton itself isn't used, it is there to assigne boneweights to vertice(if necesarry)
TSRW also has a object exporter(OBJ) but it does not support bones.

I tried the FBX importer/exporter for 3dsMAX but it didn't work(i have 3ds MAX 9)
Some people only use Milkshape to convert the file and to assigne boneweights to the vertice.

So you could create your files as obj files and convert them with MS later.

Solved the problem by deleting the second group.
Edit: Okay so i can make an object now, specifically a box. When i add a texture/material (PNG image) it shows up as a brown box in sims 3. How exactly would i go about with texturing? I read the pdf guide on the official site but it's no help. It's like reading a brick wall lol.
Alchemist
#6 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by obscuren
Edit: Okay so i can make an object now, specifically a box. When i add a texture/material (PNG image) it shows up as a brown box in sims 3. How exactly would i go about with texturing? I read the pdf guide on the official site but it's no help. It's like reading a brick wall lol.
If you know how to mesh already and want to make a new object you could try s3pe...which isn't the same as tsrw. To use the editor of your choice you would have to first clone what you're wanting to make and export the resources you want to edit into MS or Blender. From there you would convert them to .obj and import them into your editor to edit. Once done with the editing you put them back into the bridge editor (MS or Blender) and import back to s3pe. I wrote a tutorial on how to use S3PE here:

http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=614.0

I don't know if you want to switch tools now since you started with that one...but if you do you have lots of support here with any issues you have with s3pe...not sure that's the case with tsrw currently.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
If you know how to mesh already and want to make a new object you could try s3pe...which isn't the same as tsrw. To use the editor of your choice you would have to first clone what you're wanting to make and export the resources you want to edit into MS or Blender. From there you would convert them to .obj and import them into your editor to edit. Once done with the editing you put them back into the bridge editor (MS or Blender) and import back to s3pe. I wrote a tutorial on how to use S3PE here:

http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...php?topic=614.0

I don't know if you want to switch tools now since you started with that one...but if you do you have lots of support here with any issues you have with s3pe...not sure that's the case with tsrw currently.

I just want to make a simplified box with some art on it. I don't think switching programs will change the issue i have with texture/material mapping.
Alchemist
#8 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:50 AM
I just want to make a simplified box with some art on it. I don't think switching programs will change the issue i have with texture/material mapping.
Right...just pointing out that if you want help with that tool you might be best off posting in the help forums for that tool. The issue you got is an easy one...if you were using a different tool you'd already have your answer in this post...it's prolly the same over there
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Right...just pointing out that if you want help with that tool you might be best off posting in the help forums for that tool. The issue you got is an easy one...if you were using a different tool you'd already have your answer in this post...it's prolly the same over there

So what you're saying is your whole objective was to just confuse me and advertise another tool rather than give me my answer to my "easy issue"? lol.. Wow.

Don't know whether i should be angry or laugh at this blasphemy.
Alchemist
#10 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 6:22 AM
So what you're saying is your whole objective was to just confuse me and advertise another tool rather than give me my answer to my "easy issue"? lol.. Wow.

Don't know whether i should be angry or laugh at this blasphemy.
Didn't know you were so easily confused...lol. And if your question is about tsrw I still think you best off posting there. Why ask here when the tool has its own forum? :P
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 1:32 PM

Did you make the box with Milkshape?
If so follow this tutorial on how to uvmap your box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YSKPa9NBM

There are also many tutorials for 3ds MAX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUhOCEujUI
Instructor
#12 Old 10th Dec 2011 at 1:40 PM
When i add a texture/material (PNG image) it shows up as a brown box in sims 3.

The Sims 3 does nto use PNG files. You need to covert your textures into a DDS file.
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 10th Dec 2011 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
The Sims 3 does nto use PNG files. You need to covert your textures into a DDS file.

You can use png's in your 3d program.
You even can use png's when creating for the sims 3, TSRW will convert them to DDS format.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Dec 2011 at 3:01 PM
There is a reason why we have a TSRW thread category. It's because posting questions about TSRW here is absolutely fine, and is useful to the modders here.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.