Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 1:04 AM
Help making an object for a technologically challenged person
I looked at all the tutorilals and once i read them over and over i gave up b/c the termonology was too confusing when i tried to follow step by step my table looked like the same thing before i really want someone to guide me through the basic steps and only the necissities i really want to create and once i figure something out i can do it but i just couldn't understand what was going on in the Table Tutorial v2.1
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 6:58 AM
Well, that is the step by step basic guide, with pictures. If you can't get it from that, you're probably not going to be able to. Go back, read it very carefully and don't skip anything. If you get stuck on something and need clarification you can post in the tutorial thread saying, "In step #7 when you say blah blah blah do you mean blah or blah?" and then people can answer specific questions.

Making objects is technical, and it is challenging. It requires a lot of concentration and a lot of perseverance. It's not easy or quick, and it will be frustrating and difficult. But if you're willing to sit down and read the information given to you (and the make a table tutorial is a VERY good tutorial, explaining absolutely everything start to finish) you'll get it. You need to actually DO the tutorial as you go through, not just read, and follow along each and every step. Don't skip anything, read every step at least twice before you do it, and when/if you get stuck, then you can ask specific questions about specific parts and get help on that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 6:15 AM
Here's the tutorial that actually got me started:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=80621

I'm tutorially challenged myself.. my brain just can't absorb them for some reason... it's almost like it's just too much information...

the tute link I gave you uses wings3d, and it sort of comes from the direction of wings3d instead of simpe... I found it a little less overwhelming... after trying for months to learn my way thru some of the longer tutes, after reading the one above I was making decent stuff within a week... other things I needed to learn, (still need to learn) I come back and try to learn some more.... just yesterday I learned how to make stuff sheer, finally!
A lot of what I learn is just from trying different things...

Here's my super short list of tips straight from my very own cheat sheet..:

Mesh - Is found in the GMDC spot export

Overwritten Original - get a new GUID in the OBJD spot... tick the update all MMATs and then click update and commit after registering new object

Quality Degrade of Recolors - don't use the import, use the build DXT option... switch the sharpen option from 'smooth' to 'none'

Sheer or Transparent Items - In the TXMT spot find the 'stdMatAlphaBlendMode' in the list, make sure it says blend...(over on the side) if says none highlight and type in blend.

Subtle In Spades