Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 10:59 AM
Default Wat's about the picknick table?
There is something strange with the picnic table. I was going to clone it to make it into a medieval table with long benches. I realized that there were two layers of the object. Layer 0 was the whole table and benches and a layer 1 was a tablecloth. Strangely, I have never seen any webs on these tables. Have someone seen it?

Then it was also strange that multiplierlagret had a completely black alpha layers, except on the bolts. With a black alpha the multilayer shouldn't have no influence at all, or?

I changed on the benches and the table frame and did everything in order. It looked good. When I loaded it into the game, it was completely invisible. I tried to figure out why, but could not find anything. I found the the smallest change will make the table invisible in game.

What is unusual about this table. I want to use it so that swimmers can sit on long benches instead of chairs.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:21 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 13th Sep 2010 at 1:39 PM.
I haven't used this table as a clone myself but the set-up with the IMG's looks like the same set-up that EA uses for paintings. With some paintings you'll notice that they have recolorable frames and the frame also has texturing on it provided by the shadowing on the multiplier. The painting image is provided by the overlay. In the case of the overlay the alpha is black except where the painting image (and, often, the string on the back of the painting) are located. What that means in the case of using this object for a clone is that you will have to make your own alpha to remove the little bolts unless you want holes in your object wherever one of those bolts is.

I looked at the table and I see the cloth group too. I'm not sure what that's about but, since it is invisible in the game, my bet is that any part of your object that is put in the same position on the group list will also be invisible. So if you put your new object as the cloth group your object will be invisible in the game. You need to make some little object, just a couple of pixels, and put that in as the cloth group. Then your object that you want to be seen should be in the same position as the table. Is that what you did?

ETA: Hmm...I see what you mean. Have you tried making a new alpha for the multiplier?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:43 PM
Yes I make a new table and benches and grouped it to 0, as the EA table. I scaled down the cloth and hide it in the table and left it for layer 1. I the removed the overlay, make it empty and put in my new multiplier with no alpha. It all loks as usual but when I put it in the game it was invisible. I could find it in the directory, but without icon. I could place it and it behaved like a table, except that it apparently was invisible. Very strange.

I then just make a small modification to the table but got the same result.

EA has a strange way to organize its multi-maps. I thought the different parts should not overlap in UV mapping, but apparently it goes. And I just wonder what that tablecloth was for.
Another strange thing is that the cloth take all the space in UV and is placed under the other objects.

It would be nice if I could sort this table, slightly mysterious, it is. I don't know of any other way to arrange the benches so the sims can sit at the table.
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:48 PM
Have you tried making it with a multiplier that has a solid black alpha?
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Have you tried making it with a multiplier that has a solid black alpha?

Hmm... no I'll try that!
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 2:55 PM
Default No success!
I've tried with a black alpha for the multiplier without any change in result, I just see the shadow!
Screenshots
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 9:40 PM
Well I got curious so I cloned the thing, ran it through the ObjTool to look at it in MS, and then just recompiled and put it back in the game as-is. This is what I got:

So it looks like this is one of those geostates objects and I can't really do anything more with it. The only other suggestion I have in case you haven't tried it yet is to make your magnifier alpha so that it's only black where you don't have parts of your object mapped on it. That should...at least in theory...make your table visible the way it makes the table rivets visible on EA's version. But you'll probably lose the shading on it. If you're trying to make this using TSRW maybe they would have some better idea of what's going wrong with it at the TSRW forum. Sorry I can't be much more help.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 10:02 PM

Ha, ha, at least you got it visible! It really is a very mystic object this picknick table. I use the same methode as you, S3PE - MS etc... In this way it show up in the catalogue but invisible. With TSRW nothing come up in the game at all.
It's not a big deal but I'm going to examine this object to see if I find out what's going on!

Thank you
Alchemist
#9 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 10:08 PM
Before you go any further working with it I suggest you clone it, export the MLOD with shadow and the MODL, decompile them and, without changing them at all recompile them and reimport them to the package. Then look at that in the game.

If yours doesn't explode like mine did then I did something incorrectly...but my bet is that it will. I think this is one of the few objects that has geostates that cannot be handled by the current tool-set here. It sounds like TSRW isn't having any better success. If you try that I'd be interested to hear what your results are.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 7:58 AM
Your object might be invisible because you didn't add it to the responsible geostates in TSRW 2.0. It's basically the same as not assigning it to a joint. The result is the same.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teko
Your object might be invisible because you didn't add it to the responsible geostates in TSRW 2.0. It's basically the same as not assigning it to a joint. The result is the same.

Hmm... can I find information about that somewhere?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 2:35 PM
I haven't yet documentated this feature in the Workshop wiki. However in the Mesh tab if you expand the groups you should be able to see the geostates. When clicking on them, you have a tiny button to open the editor which allows you using selections in the 3D viewport to add faces to the geostate.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Lisen801 : 15th Sep 2010 at 3:24 PM.
Thank you teko!

Where can I find the Workshop Wiki?

Edit: I foud the Wiki, thank you!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 9:27 PM
Default TSRW Geostate Editor
I took this occasion to write the long overdue wiki page for this:

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...title=Geostates

Glad it worked though.

Minisite

TSR Workshop