Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 1:52 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 10th Mar 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Default 'Invisible shoes'/null feet - how to make them? *SOLVED*
In one of my previous threads, base1980 mentioned that it is possible to make 'invisible shoes', which I guess means a 'null feet' effect.

How do you do that? I need to be able to do it for a sim I'm working on. Meet scary 'Mr Skeleto', ha ha:

I'm making him from a conversion of the TS2 skeleton mesh that appears when Sims get electrocuted, and he's all converted, re-jointed and working well. It's just his feet that are the problem!
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 9:25 AM
missed this, srry
There are a few ways to do this.
You could clone a pair of shoes and delete the mesh withing the GEOM file(maybe leave one scaled down face in it)
Or a simple and quicker way is to change the instance ID of the GEOM files(lod1/2 and 3) in the cloned package.

The only problem is when hes taking a shower, so peeps either should use the never naked option and use swimwear instead or use awsomemod wich has now the category naked in CAS.(wich you can edit)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
missed this, srry
There are a few ways to do this.
You could clone a pair of shoes and delete the mesh withing the GEOM file(maybe leave one scaled down face in it)
Or a simple and quicker way is to change the instance ID of the GEOM files(lod1/2 and 3) in the cloned package.

The only problem is when hes taking a shower, so peeps either should use the never naked option and use swimwear instead or use awsomemod wich has now the category naked in CAS.(wich you can edit)

Ah, thank you so much! Yes, I noticed that in TS2 there was a 'null' mesh which seemed to be just a blank triangle - so it looks like that works in TS3 too. I never meshed for TS2 so I didn't have any experiences with using a null mesh, but I'll try that with Mr Skeleto.

Your other quicker alternative, of changing the instance ID of the GEOMs in the package: how do you do that and what do you change them to?

He'll need to have the 'Never Nude' trait anyway, because like with Servo, he'll otherwise lose his head and body in the bath and revert back to being a strange-looking human!
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 10:25 AM
Changing the Lod's(GEOM)'s instance ID is done in Postal or S3PE You simply change its number to one that doesn't exist so the game cant find one.(dont forget to click commit )
This will result in something similar as the floating head issues with sims 2, it simply cant find the mesh so wont display it.
But to do things right i would just delete the mesh within the GEOM file
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 10:38 AM
Changing the Lod's(GEOM)'s instance ID is done in Postal or S3PE You simply change its number to one that doesn't exist so the game cant find one.(dont forget to click commit )
This will result in something similar as the floating head issues with sims 2, it simply cant find the mesh so wont display it.
But to do things right i would just delete the mesh within the GEOM file

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help - will try it out later!
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 2:11 PM
(waits patiently for Mr Skeleto....)

...Titanium white...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 11:31 PM
Hooray, that worked! Thank you base, you've done it again!

Mr Skeleto now has his little bony feet. What worked in the end was a one-plane tiny triangle mesh that I hid inside one of his feet and imported as bare feet ('ShoesNude'). I tried it with a regular pair of shoes but he came out with the texture of the shoes all over his body and it made his body unrecolourable. The 'bare feet' category works fine. Thanks again!
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 12:11 AM
Your welcome.
Makes me happy seeing you have so much joy in creating
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 10:34 AM
Your welcome.
Makes me happy seeing you have so much joy in creating

Aww, thanks - as someone new to meshing, having learned many useful and fascinating technical details about meshing thanks to the great advice found in this forum, I do enjoy the challenge of making things that are a bit 'different', ha ha. Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Scholar
#10 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 8:55 PM
Hey EsmeraldaF, do you have any intentions of releasing Mr. Skeleto to the general public at any time? He does look super cool

...Titanium white...
Instructor
#11 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 9:40 PM
Skeleton :O
Nice, waiting already for release :D

Unauthorized incoming post!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 10:45 PM
Thanks for your interest, guys! I do plan to submit him when he's ready and I hope he will be accepted, but he needs a lot of work first.

I need to: 1) Try to joint his fingers so that they curl (or else he'll have to be like Servo where I had to give up and leave his fingers straight because every attempt I made at assigning joints to his fingers ended up with horrible-looking finger animations in-game!), 2) Make the other two LODs and then assign the joints for every bone in the body for each of those LODs, 3) Work on the texture alphas to try to figure out why his ribs and spine are not transparent between each bone like they should be, and 4) Make a 2-colour recolour mask for his head - people would probably want to be able to recolour his head and teeth separately.

He looks really cute (in a scary sorta way) in-game, and I hope other people will find him fun!
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 1:24 PM
can you do a download link please thanks
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#14 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 1:51 PM
Check her profile.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zelda mae rocks
can you do a download link please thanks

Wow, this is an old thread! Thanks for your interest, he was uploaded that same week and has been here ever since: http://www.modthesims.info/d/395831

ETA: Oh, sniped by cmo, ha ha!