Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 8:58 PM
Default New Laptop Suggestions?
Hey guys!

My laptop screen broke down nearly a year ago and I've been using it with an external monitor. The monitor is very basic and has put me off playing and creating for nearly 6 months!

I wanted to invest in a new laptop that is able to run TS2, bodyshop etc and all of the needed software to create CC.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 10:58 AM
Do you want to do anything else with it - particularly other gaming - or are you really just interested in TS2?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 11:43 PM Last edited by XxCTxX : 20th Sep 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Do you want to do anything else with it - particularly other gaming - or are you really just interested in TS2?

Besides from TS2, just using it for emails, internet browsing or watching dvds really.

Maybe one day I'll try TS3 / TS4.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 2:33 PM Last edited by Kunder : 12th Sep 2017 at 3:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by XxCTxX
Besides from TS2, just using it for work, emails, internet browsing or watching dvds really.

Maybe one day I'll try TS3 / TS4.
Get yourself a Lenovo T420/T430, or a Lenovo W530. Make SURE of the following:

nVidia graphics are a MUST.
At LEAST a 7200rpm HDD. (eliminates lag, and stuttering, if everything else is running right).
I recommend 8gb/ram, and an i5 processor, and Win7.

Use AVAST AV. It plays well with Sims.

Use CCleaner, to keep your hard disk clean.

Use MalwareBytes, to check for issues, then uninstall it (You can always re-install it later, if needed).

Keep Malware off your computer, keep the O/S maintained, and clean.

Get an external hard drive to keep your Sims backed up, and your hard disk imaged.

Use Macrium Reflect, or Aomei to image your computer. They're simple to use, and they're free.

Make SURE you have the right Graphics Rules!

I have several of these, and with a little video tweaking via nVidia's performance utility, the T420 is an excellent "Simming" machine.

I also run a few of my 16gbRam, T420, "Simming" machines without a swap file. It really does help load up time, and smooths the game.

The T420 will also run TS3/4.

You can pick up the above mentioned machines at a very reasonable cost off E-bay. Make SURE it has nVidia graphics though. Don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions. Have any problems with the seller? Talk to them. If that doesn't work? report it to E-bay. They'll take care of you. Just make sure you're in the right.

I have bought over 100 machines through E-bay, with only a few hitches. Most sellers will work with you.

Place four, two liter bottle caps under each corner of your laptop when gaming. This goes for ANY laptop you play games on. I've been using the computer (T420) I'm typing on, to play TS2, and quite a few others (Mass Effect2, BioShock2, etc) for well over a year, with no problems.

Older computers run TS2 better than the newer ones for sure.

Easy computers to get hold of, that will run Sims 2 besides the ones I've mentioned are:

Lenovo Y410p/510
Asus ROG.
Any MSI that runs Win7
Any Alienware that runs Win7

The Lenovo T420/T430 with nVidia graphics, are the best "bang for the buck" though.

Hope this helps!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 9:52 PM Last edited by Kunder : 25th Sep 2017 at 12:06 AM.
I would like to add, that I have 9 active hoods on one of these laptops (T420), with the above 16gb/ram configuration. However, my "Downloads" folder is only 4gb. My load time, even at its longest, is a minute or less.

A W530, or "Y" series gamer from Lenovo, and an SSD? ZOOM!

I may even install, and clone an SSD drive for my current T420.

Also, if you use HP, Acer, Sony Vaio, Dell laptops, especially DELL, you should use extra cooling on it. I have a couple Dells here in my shop with nVidia graphics, that are bricked because people were gaming on them, and didn't use supplementary cooling. They can be fixed, but will never be the same.

Avoid the HP "Omen" I have seen a lot of them bricked beyond repair, and broken, due to inadequate cooling.

A used MSI, IF you have the Simoleons, has the best cooling configuration, and the only machine I consider superior (only slightly) to the Lenovo's, but they are a bit "pricey" although I consider them worth the expense.

Stay away from "consumer" grade laptops for gaming!! i.e. "Wal-Mart" computers, and the like, as Sims will wear them down. A used "Business" class laptop, that is suitable enough for gaming, can be had for much less anyways. A good, used "Gamer" won't run you any more than $500-$600 duckets, and will serve you a lot longer, than a new "WallyWorld" laptop. Not only that, most business class and gaming laptops, are very upgradeable. "Consumer" class computers are generally poor in this respect.

Hope this helps someone.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 2:20 AM Last edited by swillfly : 20th Sep 2017 at 2:33 AM.
I agree with most of what Kunder advises. Absolutely do Not purchase Black Friday sales/specials/consumer/superstore laptops. Try looking here: http://www.pricewatch.com/ or here: https://www.newegg.com/
Oftentimes manufacturers have deals on stuff directly from their websites and not only for vendors or OEMs. That said, unless you're very tech-savvy with hardware I highly advise getting some opinions from very geeky/knowledgeable friends. The Geek Squad is Not your friend btw.

Lenovo is actually the IBM Thinkpad line that the Chinese acquired. Not bad products but sometimes manufacturers incorporate sub-par components to shave production costs for some models. Have to research each model. The only advantage of buying a laptop from a store is being able to go in and dump malfunctioning waffles on their counter. You can check www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com for more info. too.

Laptops are a bit trickier than desktops because manufacturers make custom BIOS's for their particular hardware/chipsets/etc. It's not like you can just pick up any old swappable hw part and toss it into the mix. And everything fits very tightly in sealed laptop cases which frequently need some external cooling solution -esp. when gaming for hours even when plugged into AC power.

And never, ever buy a netbook. My elderly mother called me after the sales rep coerced her to buy one and I told her to take it back. I refuse to support garbage hw. It's like sweeping the ground outside because it's dirty.

I wouldn't personally load any software AV/FW but then again, I'm a nut. I am religious about imaging. It's not a matter of IF you get infected, it's WHEN. And it's too easy for Blorton/McCr@pfee/etc. to release kiddiepop virus/malware into the wild and then a week later provide the hotfix as long as you have purchased their loverly product.

Anyway, they caught Oblama bin Sodom attached to a dialysis machine years ago so everyone can entrust all their personal data to Equifax happily ever after.

Edite: Oh yeah, you mentioned you're also going to use this pyooter for work? One word: Risky. Be very careful. At least use a VPN when online if you cannot have a separate machine just for work. Unless you're booting into different OS's on separate drives, then I would urge extreme caution.

Kidney stones are never round pebbles... they are more like jagged stalactites.
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 3:05 AM
Dave 2D gives a pretty good comparison (in my opinion) of several "gaming" laptops. He covers the Dell 7567, Acer VX15, Lenovo Y520, HP Omen, Asus GL553, MSI GE62 and Sabre 15. So a good variety there. He actually opens some of them up so you can see the cooling configurations inside (spoiler: some are better than others).

https://youtu.be/qxwMlYMMSnI
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

It would be a laptop literally just for the sims, iTunes, googling and using Microsoft word etc. No work related things.

The laptop I've been using has lasted well over 6 years and it was a HP notebook, think I was just lucky.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XxCTxX
Thanks for all the info guys!

It would be a laptop literally just for the sims, iTunes, googling and using Microsoft word etc. No work related things.

The laptop I've been using has lasted well over 6 years and it was a HP notebook, think I was just lucky.
Well, good luck, and I still recommend the T420/T430, or W530 with nVidia! Good luck!